Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

not sure if this is noise or something else.

16 May 2013 6:31PM
I'm seeing either color noise or ISO on my pictures I have not seen before. Photo's were taken with 500 ISO (don't know why but my 5d Mark iii defaulted to 500 ISO before I caught it and I was in manual mode lol) but when I export them to lightroom or to photomatix these are what I'm getting.poor-picture-performance-2.jpg

poor-picture-performance.jpg

Is it noise or something wrong with my card readers? I have a sanDisk 64gb 95mb/s card and a superior 1000x 16gb compact flash. Thanks guys and I look forward to your feedback.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rogerfry e2
9 524 United Kingdom
16 May 2013 7:35PM
I think you may have answered your own question by saying you were on ISO 500.......125 and its multiples are to be avoided as they produce more noise. (If you take some shots with the lens cap on, you'll find a lot more noise at 125 than 160 for example.)
ringyneck 8 308 18 United Kingdom
2 Aug 2013 10:36PM
SO does 125..250...500..1000...etc ...etc give more noise ??

You say 125 is worse than 160......what is it equal to ?

Is this on all systems or just Canon or just this model.

Keith
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
2 Aug 2013 11:06PM
To my knowledge all the cameras come with amplifiers built in to give certain steps of amplification, and it is commonly the normal ISO steps, i.e 100, 200, 400,800 etc. The in between ones are often produced by running the camera at a lower gain setting (say ISO400 for your case) creating an under exposed image then adjusting the result in software. To get around this the cameras normally have an option to only use the whole amplified stops in a custom setting. The amount of noise depends on sensor technology etc also.
Gundog 1 624 Scotland
3 Aug 2013 9:57AM

Quote:To my knowledge all the cameras come with amplifiers built in to give certain steps of amplification, and it is commonly the normal ISO steps, i.e 100, 200, 400,800 etc. The in between ones are often produced by running the camera at a lower gain setting (say ISO400 for your case) creating an under exposed image then adjusting the result in software. To get around this the cameras normally have an option to only use the whole amplified stops in a custom setting. The amount of noise depends on sensor technology etc also.

I'd come across the rumour of poorer quality at intermediate ISO settings before, but never understood why. Thanks for the explanation, Strawman.

With the DR of modern sensors, I really can't envisage any situation where it would be necessary to step outwith the 100..200..400..800........ intervals
3 Aug 2013 11:19AM
Unfortunately the images are too small to see positions of sliders in panels. In top image the histogram looks like seriously low key, and image shows signs of exposure being "pushed". In this sort of conditions noise in shadow areas is not uncommon.
Lower image has a decent histogram, but looks overprocessed - check how far are clarity and sharpness regulators. Coming from this I think that there's nothing wrong with hardware - it's rather software skills that need some upgrage - as this image quality is not great for ISO500. More on image noise can be read here . You also will find some really good tutorials in this site.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.