Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

not sure if this is noise or something else.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    djdouge
    djdouge  1 United States
    16 May 2013 - 6:31 PM

I'm seeing either color noise or ISO on my pictures I have not seen before. Photo's were taken with 500 ISO (don't know why but my 5d Mark iii defaulted to 500 ISO before I caught it and I was in manual mode lol) but when I export them to lightroom or to photomatix these are what I'm getting.poor-picture-performance-2.jpgpoor-picture-performance.jpg
    Is it noise or something wrong with my card readers? I have a sanDisk 64gb 95mb/s card and a superior 1000x 16gb compact flash. Thanks guys and I look forward to your feedback.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 May 2013 - 6:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rogerfry
    rogerfry e2 Member 9509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
    16 May 2013 - 7:35 PM

I think you may have answered your own question by saying you were on ISO 500.......125 and its multiples are to be avoided as they produce more noise. (If you take some shots with the lens cap on, you'll find a lot more noise at 125 than 160 for example.)

ringyneck
    ringyneck  7308 forum posts United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Aug 2013 - 10:36 PM

SO does 125..250...500..1000...etc ...etc give more noise ??

You say 125 is worse than 160......what is it equal to ?

Is this on all systems or just Canon or just this model.

Keith

strawman
    strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Aug 2013 - 11:06 PM

To my knowledge all the cameras come with amplifiers built in to give certain steps of amplification, and it is commonly the normal ISO steps, i.e 100, 200, 400,800 etc. The in between ones are often produced by running the camera at a lower gain setting (say ISO400 for your case) creating an under exposed image then adjusting the result in software. To get around this the cameras normally have an option to only use the whole amplified stops in a custom setting. The amount of noise depends on sensor technology etc also.

Gundog
    Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
    3 Aug 2013 - 9:57 AM

Quote: To my knowledge all the cameras come with amplifiers built in to give certain steps of amplification, and it is commonly the normal ISO steps, i.e 100, 200, 400,800 etc. The in between ones are often produced by running the camera at a lower gain setting (say ISO400 for your case) creating an under exposed image then adjusting the result in software. To get around this the cameras normally have an option to only use the whole amplified stops in a custom setting. The amount of noise depends on sensor technology etc also.

I'd come across the rumour of poorer quality at intermediate ISO settings before, but never understood why. Thanks for the explanation, Strawman.

With the DR of modern sensors, I really can't envisage any situation where it would be necessary to step outwith the 100..200..400..800........ intervals

MichaelMelb_AU
    3 Aug 2013 - 11:19 AM

Unfortunately the images are too small to see positions of sliders in panels. In top image the histogram looks like seriously low key, and image shows signs of exposure being "pushed". In this sort of conditions noise in shadow areas is not uncommon.
    Lower image has a decent histogram, but looks overprocessed - check how far are clarity and sharpness regulators. Coming from this I think that there's nothing wrong with hardware - it's rather software skills that need some upgrage - as this image quality is not great for ISO500. More on image noise can be read here. You also will find some really good tutorials in this site.

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 3 Aug 2013 - 11:20 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.