Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Nothing To Do With Photography Challenge!

KarenFB 8 4.4k 163 England
17 Feb 2011 7:36AM
I often tell folk they can ask any question they like, about any subject they like, someone on here will know the answer - well, here's a question!

I want a chair. I want a black, high backed swivel chair to use at the PC desk - but I don't want it on wheels! "Easy!" I hear you say!!!

I have thought of buying a wheeled one and not putting on the wheels, but would the bottom of the legs be like cookie cutters and damage my floor (laminate). I don't want to have to buy a mat.

I have 50 (present from Mum-in-law!) to play with. Smile

I've tried all the local shops (B&Q, Homebase, Argos, Debenhams, The Range, Tescos, Morrisons..............the list goes on! - there was a nice one in The Range for 50, but the man was less then helpful and I don't know what the legs minus wheels would be like!).

Can anyone help?
I'd be grateful! Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2011 8:02AM
My parents got exactly that sort of thing from Aldi a while back, although I don't know how much they were (they came with matching foot stools). I loved it too, very comfy.
You can also get low friction plastic discs from 3M, which are designed for moving large pieces of furniture. A few of those babies could cover the sockets for the castors, protect your floor and increase your chances of finding a chair you like.
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2011 8:04AM
Maybe Rymans, the office shop, or somewhere similar may have something...
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2011 8:04AM
The best place to look for home office furniture is in the small shops that deal with office liquidations you can often get real high quality furniture at a fraction of the normal price. My mum got just the sort of chair you are talking about from one of these shops and it was virtually brand new.
17 Feb 2011 8:49AM
Thanks guys - I'll go and have a look! Smile
17 Feb 2011 9:19AM
Well, so far I've visited Rymans (much like Staples), nothing there.
I've also looked at office liquidations - nothing so far.
Aldi - they don't actually sell chairs, but they do have 'Special Offer days' the last chair was back in September!
I'd never heard of 3M, I've looked at their site and, because I couldn't find the discs on their site, I've contacted them (hopefully I'll hear back soon). If the discs are available and suitable I have my eye on The Range's chair - it was really comfortable! (and I could afford it!) Smile
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2011 10:16AM
If you don't have any luck with 3M (in case I got it wrong), these are the sorts of things I meant . I think you can find them in some of the larger DIY stores.
There's a similar thing called Slide Glide, but they have to be screwed in.
Nigeyboy 6 537 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2011 10:26AM
Seond down on the right hand side HERE - something like this?
kaybee 10 3.9k 24 Scotland
17 Feb 2011 10:28AM
That chair David likes so much is sitting in my garage now surplus to requirements ....... but a bit far to collect/deliver I am afraid.

Try Staples - they normally have budget chairs and I have always found staff very helpful
17 Feb 2011 10:33AM
Some good ideas - thank you! Smile
17 Feb 2011 10:45AM
Yes, I've tried Staples - you're right the staff were brilliant! Smile
cats_123 e2
10 4.2k 25 Northern Ireland
17 Feb 2011 11:22AM
have you tried your local auction house? Smile
17 Feb 2011 11:46AM
No Jeff, I hadn't thought of them! Smile Thanks for the suggestion!
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
17 Feb 2011 1:28PM

Quote:I have thought of buying a wheeled one and not putting on the wheels, but would the bottom of the legs be like cookie cutters and damage my floor (laminate). I don't want to have to buy a mat

There`s no need to buy a mat, remove the wheels and fit rubber feet or use self adhesive rubber protector pads sold in most diy shops.
17 Feb 2011 1:59PM
Yes, I think that's what I shall do! Thanks everyone! Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.