Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Now does one vote or does one not?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Mozzytheboy
    Mozzytheboy e2 Member 4550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Oct 2013 - 5:43 PM

Been on the Galleries now for quite a long time and yes, I agree with all the comments about voting in general. But thinking out loud as one does sometimes; I vote for an image any image no matter what the subject matter, if and here comes the crunch if I like it, and if with my absolutely minimum amount of knowledge and experience within Photography, I think the image 'rocks & rolls.' For me I hasten to add.

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, I realise this subject has been covered in gazzillions of threads, but my basis stance on voting is as I describe above. Often I feel very guilty that I don't vote when someone votes and leaves a lovely positive comment for me. No honestly that is the truth; but it won't make me vote for them unless it meets that very basic of basic criteria is it any flipping good John?

I appreciate that voting here on EPZ actually means diddly-squat which, is a huge great shame, and no doubt EPZ has considered ways in which to 're-jig' it? I've looked and looked and looked but have not stumbled / fallen over any thread that gives a basic 'rule of thumb' how to continue within the galleries but not actually include voting as an option. May be that is it; seemples as that; don't permit voting?

Is it that simple?

Mozzy

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Oct 2013 - 5:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken
    franken e2 Member 123143 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Oct 2013 - 5:50 PM

How you vote is down to you really and you appear to have answered your own question.

You should not feel guilty if someone votes for you and you don't return it.

Ken.

ps, I'd amend the spelling of the title! Smile

Last Modified By franken at 26 Oct 2013 - 5:51 PM
    Mozzytheboy
    Mozzytheboy e2 Member 4550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Oct 2013 - 5:57 PM

Oh I did that for no reason at all Ken Smile I though knot was fine Smile

Mozzy

rogerfry
    rogerfry e2 Member 9509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
    26 Oct 2013 - 6:04 PM

You can always turn off voting on your own uploads _(under Photo Options on the upload page)_and then if anyone likes your shot enough, they can leave a comment but won't be able to add a vote.

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43956 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Oct 2013 - 6:46 PM

- Vote for any given image whatever your reasons for doing so.
    - Don't vote for any images, for whatever reason.
    - Comment on an image, whatever the reason.
    - Refrain from commenting on any given image, for whatever reason.
    - Start a forum thread - probably # 5249 on the same subject.
    - Comment on said thread for whatever reason.
    - Refrain from commenting on said thread for whatever reason.

ePz is in effect all things to all members.
    Use it as you will

I go through the galleries and vote and/or comment on the occasional image that floats my boat...an image I would be happy to have hanging on a wall in my home. At the same time, people I do not know are leaving an occasional vote or comment on one of my images.
    I look at the pf's of those who leave a vote or comment, but only reciprocate if there is something there I like...again, boat floating. If I don't see anything I feel like voting or commenting on, then I don't. Mutual back-scratching is not an option for me, but it may be for others.

Last Modified By saltireblue at 26 Oct 2013 - 7:07 PM
    Mozzytheboy
    26 Oct 2013 - 7:25 PM

Quote: Mutual back-scratching is not an option for me, but it may be for others.

Not seen it written so; hmmmm, I like that phrase .... lots Smile

indemnity
    indemnity  6329 forum posts
    27 Oct 2013 - 1:31 AM

I don't do very much at all here, I post a few images and grateful for any comments, votes, awards etc.

Different folks...different strokes.

Would be nice to see people actually posting images, I can't understand why a photographer would have s profile on here and not post an image...Now they're the ones you need to worry about. Wink

puertouk
    puertouk  31076 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Oct 2013 - 9:07 AM

The same old story I'm afraid, it's very cliquey and that will never change. I've recently had some of my images in national photo mag's, but on here I had marks of 11, 12 and 24. So, the moral of the story is, don't take any notice of the marking on here, as they tend to only vote for certain people.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73886 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Oct 2013 - 9:43 AM

If you like an image vote, if you don't, don't - simple.

dougv
    dougv Site Moderator 108376 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Oct 2013 - 10:08 AM

I suppose there ought to be an "epz like button" for images just like the forums have for posts.

I may like an image because it is a cute photo of a kitten, but that doesn't mean it needs to be considered for an award.

Do away with the votes and user awards completely if they are so meaningless.

What to do think?

Mozzytheboy
    27 Oct 2013 - 11:12 AM

Quote: If you like an image vote, if you don't, don't - simple.

But Nick; it would seem that does not happen in the vast majority of cases. I can heed and fully accept what you say it seems though that is not the case.

Quote: I suppose there ought to be an "epz like button" for images just like the forums have for posts.

I may like an image because it is a cute photo of a kitten, but that doesn't mean it needs to be considered for an award.

Do away with the votes and user awards completely if they are so meaningless.

What to do think?

Not sure Doug; both seem a really worthwhile part of the Galleries. UA I like as I assume that really is based on truth and not a scratch my back thing?

I've come to the conclusion I think that votes are pretty meaningless as you say. I suppose this old chestnut will go on forever as EPZ would have changed it by now if they felt it a problem.

Quote: The same old story I'm afraid, it's very cliquey and that will never change. I've recently had some of my images in national photo mag's, but on here I had marks of 11, 12 and 24. So, the moral of the story is, don't take any notice of the marking on here, as they tend to only vote for certain people.

That speaks absolute volumes then for the way votes are cast, and it is a great shame. I think from my next upload, I shall as has been suggested, not include the voting box. Makes perfect sense.

Mozzy

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Oct 2013 - 11:44 AM

Quote: That speaks absolute volumes then for the way votes are cast, and it is a great shame. I think from my next upload, I shall as has been suggested, not include the voting box. Makes perfect sense.

But votes are not 'marks'. Being published in photo mags is perhaps a compliment, but not every photo published is necessarily great, and it's still the opinion of the picture editor or features editor, or whoever is putting the piece together. It won't necessarily be shared by hoards of ePhotozine goers.

The thing of overriding importance is always your own opinion. If that's slightly delusional it doesn't really matter except it'll potentially freeze your own progress. It's nice if a few people like a picture, and I can see how a stream of lead balloons is disconcerting, but the idea of not getting 'enough' votes is slightly ego-crazed.

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43956 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Oct 2013 - 12:38 PM

Quote: I've recently had some of my images in national photo mag's, but on here I had marks of 11, 12 and 24.

With several hundred images posted every day on ePz, yours will have to stand out from the crowd, either because of the subject matter or a certain wow factor that catches the eye,in order to be noticed by the casual viewer skimming through the galleries looking for something that appeals.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.