Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Now the Fuji X100 has been with us for a month, so what do users think of it.?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    petemasty
    petemasty  5155 forum posts England
    2 Jun 2011 - 10:31 AM

After all the hype, the beta tests and beta reviews, partial reviews, full reviews etc etc, the fuji X100 has been used in anger for over a month now by users of varying ilks. So, what do it's users think about it's useability, it's picture quality, etc. Have prospective buyyers visited their local camera shop, handled one and thought 'Naw' (assuming of course that one was in stock long enough to try one out!!!) Has it lived up to the hype?

I have now had one for a week and am very pleased with it's useability. (though a fixed focal length). The pictue quality is quite superb. however, the focus ring and manual focussing could be improved (too many turns to focus, no signal to tell when in focus either). To top it all, Fuji have promised a comprehensive firmware update in the very near future after listening/reading comments from all over the globe.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Jun 2011 - 10:31 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MediumSizeUnavailable

Sad
    still hasn't arrived in shops here

petemasty
    2 Jun 2011 - 10:51 AM

i think the wait will be worth it.

User_Removed
    2 Jun 2011 - 1:11 PM

I think it depends upon how fast the price falls further.

Calumet in UK are already discounting it to 899 but I think it will fall a good bit yet.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139495 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jun 2011 - 2:13 PM

Quote: Has it lived up to the hype?

The reviews have been mixed with comments about slowish and not greatly accurate AF, lens soft at larger apertures and 'eccentric and buggy' software.

So it's no holy grail! Wink Ergo, prices may come down. A lot.

peterjones
    peterjones e2 Member 123964 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jun 2011 - 2:53 PM

A good time to buy may be Focus 2012 Grin

Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jun 2011 - 3:00 PM

My Pentax Me Super works OK! WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink

petemasty
    2 Jun 2011 - 3:06 PM

Price aside (I think we all accept prices may fall), and detailed reviews aside, what do the people who actually now use one feel. Regarding AF, my copy certanily isnt slow and is accurate enough. took a test shot at f2.8 yesterday and was very pleased with how sharp the subject was. It comes with Silkypix, which I understand has mixed reviews in general. Lightroom 3.4.1 deals with the RAW files admirably in my opinion. Battery life isnt very good (as I found out this morning!!). however, i understand that the battery needs 3 or 4 full charge cycles to get to it's optimum perforamce. Remains to be seen of course.

strawman
    strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jun 2011 - 5:07 PM

I do not think it is a camera for everyone, so not surprised at the reviews. Is there not some new firmware coming out/just out to improve some of the review comments?

Its an interesting camera and if I had the money I would give it a thought. Poor man's Leica, relatively speaking. Cannot help but feel that the m4/3 cameras are a bteer option but each to their own and I would love to play with one for a few days as the viewfinder options could be a big plus.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315463 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jun 2011 - 7:11 PM

If I was in work and had the money I`d defiantly get one, but I`m out of work Sad

Some want to have there cake and eat it, they like the optical viewfinder and evf choice but want interchangeable lenses as well, interchangeable lenses = no optical viewfinder or one that would only be capable of working with two or three lenses at the most.

Apart from the price Fuji have a winner.

funkeldink
    funkeldink  101592 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Dec 2011 - 1:49 AM

the funkiest camera out there ... wont be taking a dslr out on my travels any more .... the x100 brings out the funk ... pure joy to use and sexy as you want ..... no more sticking big cameras in peoples faces ....... we are saving up to go on another big trip ... cant wait to take this little beauty

Gwalion
    Gwalion Junior Member 2 Morocco
    29 Dec 2011 - 5:16 AM

I absoluteky love mine. Not perfect but what is. I use it in the same fashion I would a rangefinder... preset the focus and aperture and let dof do the work. No waiting for the autofocus, stick it on silent and its like a stealth bomber, pic captured before anyone even notices it.
    The viewfinder is nothing short of superb. Lovely bit of kit.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315463 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Dec 2011 - 5:44 PM

Not using one but would not hesitate if one was to come my way at a good price, I`m using its new baby brother, the x10.

petemasty
    2 Jan 2012 - 9:50 AM

Surprised to see my thread resurrected!! I actually had reservations back in July last year, put my cameras up for sale and sold my Leica dlux5 first so kept the x100. Thank heavens for fate!!! Had a great time in York last summer using the little beauty and with the firmware updates, it truly is a great camera. Someone stopped me in Marlborough last year and was thrilled to see someone using an old rangefinder film camera. He was even more thrilled to find it was a digital.

Yes, this camera grows on you and I now have no intention of parting with it. It is robust, takes fantastic shots, feels great in the hand, unobtrusive too. And I think equally important is that it's a camera that requires a good degree of personal attention from the photographer to get the best out of it.

The manual focus ring performs much better with the EVF as you can see the focussing much much better, but I do wish they would do something about the inordinate amount of turns. That said, if you accept that manual focus comes into its own when shooting macro and you learn the little tricks to speed up autofocus (the ones the manual doesn't tell you about), you soon accept its little foibles.

Also, take any protective filters you may have off this camera lens. Image quality is better without them.

User_Removed
    8 Jan 2012 - 7:41 PM

Now that the price has dropped below 800 I suspect that there may be renewed interest in this camera - or has it just come too late? A year on we have several competitors in that price range with either zoom or interchangeable lenses.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.