Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Now the fun begins.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Ploughman
    Ploughman  128 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jun 2013 - 11:18 PM

Since 2007 (Friday July 13th. to be precise) I have been exclusively digital. It has and continues to serve me well, I am using Pentax gear and never had a problem. Life as a photographer is good. However, there has to be a `but`, the thing is I am missing all that lovely film gear I once owned.
    Minolta manual focus was the name of the game for me in the 70s, 80s and 90s and in particular the X300, X500 and the holy grail an XD7. What is special about the XD7? I hear you ask. Well, it was developed jointly by Minolta and Leica and became the basis of the R4,5 and 6. All superb machines but the best of the bunch in my opinion was the Minolta.
    Over the last few weeks I have re-acquired an X300 an X500 and an XD7. The last one I sent for a full service, it arrived back today and with the lenses I have now - 35mmf2.8, 50mmf1.7, 135mmf3.5 plus a 2x converter. The fun can start.

Richard.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Jun 2013 - 11:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

edtaylor
    edtaylor  3104 forum posts United Kingdom
    19 Jun 2013 - 6:02 AM

I used the x700 still have it. Must dig it out again one of the days. I always thought Minolta was very much underrated. Shame the left the market.

MichaelMelb_AU
    19 Jun 2013 - 6:22 AM

I have a bit of film renaissance myself. Although digital got as perfect as it has to be - it just does not feel the same, especially it's B&W variety. Maybe, Leica M monochrom could do, but it's $8000 price tag would let me to buy more film than I would ever need Wink

janeez
    janeez e2 Member 51161 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jun 2013 - 12:59 PM

I loved my Minolta but it sadly passed its use by date and had to be replaced by a lovely shiny Nikon D70!

Ploughman
    19 Jun 2013 - 10:01 PM

Edtaylor,
    Go on, dig it out and load in some film. To me photography is all about enjoyment and fun. Using film gear once in a while has to be fun.

Michael,
    Here in the UK we have one or two good camera repairers. I use a guy who is very thorough and reliable, and have just had the XD7 fully serviced, it has arrived back like new.

Janeez,
    Would you like details of the guy I use for repairs ?

Richard.

Last Modified By Ploughman at 19 Jun 2013 - 10:02 PM
    hcbph
    hcbph  1
    20 Jun 2013 - 3:05 PM

I just got into digital this last year to any real extent. Thing is I have a Canon A1, AE1 & a Yashica TL Super I'd used for years. I need to get new light seals in the Yashica though as it's been a while. I also have a number of 'old' cameras that are for display, not sure if I could even get film for them anymore.

The reason I added something here is the fact the last daughter is finally said she's going to get a place of her own. I had to pack up my darkroom gear when the kids were little for the space and now hopefully I'll have room to get it out again. I always loved doing B&W processing and hopefully will get the change to do it again after all these years. Though digital is fine, there's something about watching an image presenting itself before your eyes that digital doesn't have to me.

Ploughman
    20 Jun 2013 - 5:34 PM

Hi, welcome to a fantastic site. Boy o boy, you have been patient waiting for your family to grow up. Seems like you will have loads of pleasure using those lovely old film cameras. I am sure it is worth having a talk to Dave at this site :-

http://www.camerarepairworkshop.co.uk/index.html

On the site you will find his telephone number at bottom of page. He has sorted out my XD7, it had a locked shutter and cosmetically looked `rough`. It arrived back to me after a week thoroughly cleaned with new seals, mirror damper and now works as sweet as a nut. It looks fantastic, no it doesn`t, it looks sexy.

Richard.

Last Modified By Ploughman at 20 Jun 2013 - 5:34 PM
    hcbph
    hcbph  1
    21 Jun 2013 - 10:46 AM

Richard

Good info but being in Minnesota, USA, that's a long way to send a camera body for light seals. Yes it's been a long time but you do what you have to for your family. Darkroom, scuba, music, and a few other things were put on hold due to either space or cost issues (like everyone else, where to spend your free money when it exists and having a family).

I had the opportunity when young to rent a room from a family where he was a part-time photographer. I had the chance to learn a lot early on from Steve both with the camera and in the darkroom. He gave me the love of B&W processing. Later I found a used Omega D5-XL with the variable condenser head on it, which I jumped on and has been in storage for a number of years. I'm going to have to start researching chemicals and papers again as I'm sure nothing is the same as it was when I last developed film and prints. Blush

Ploughman
    21 Jun 2013 - 12:24 PM

Ha, yes that would be a long way to send your camera. I did look in your profile to check out where you live, but could not find it or your name and just assumed you live in UK.
    Richard.

Last Modified By Ploughman at 21 Jun 2013 - 12:26 PM
    pablophotographer

Have fun ploughman.... Smile

Ploughman
    22 Jun 2013 - 10:10 PM

Thank you pablo,
    So far, so good.
    What do you think to this ? Taken with X300 and converted to this in PI12.

x300---007a.jpg

Ploughman
    15 Aug 2013 - 12:18 AM

So, almost 2 months have passed and I am still at it. I have sold the X300 and X500 but purchased a lovely black XD7. It was on ebay and reasonably priced, probably because there was only one picture that basically showed none of the detail.
    It has arrived and is fairly tidy, all the functions work OK, but to make sure it is spot on Camera Workshop is doing a full CLA.

Richard.

Last Modified By Ploughman at 15 Aug 2013 - 12:19 AM
    pablophotographer

Hi Richard, I saw the 2 XD7 shots you had uploaded, I hope it serves you well for many years to come. And hopefully there will be film around too Smile I had not offered a comment on the above picture because I felt the purpose of the topic was different. But since you asked, I understand the lighting situation was challenging, I think the picture is a bit overexposed.

Ploughman
    29 Aug 2013 - 8:28 PM

Hi Pablo,
    Thanks for your replies, yes I agree, a bit overexposed. I am learning to keep notes for each shot, sort of do it yourself exif.
    Here are a couple shots that are better exposed and also a picture of the latest XD7.
    Richard.

015.jpg

016.jpg

1-black-xd7-b.jpg

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.