Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

NUJ Press Pass - Helpful?

Consultant 9 51 United Kingdom
10 Aug 2007 11:37AM
Hi All,

I've been working freelance for a while now covering local and regional news and a lot of music stuff, I'm regularly published, both locally, regionally, and in national music mags. I'm pretty sure I qualify for a press pass, but was curious as to the benefits of it, I'm not aware of any problems where *not* having a press pass has caused me difficulties, because much of the stuff I do is either non-breaking news (sports etc) or separate accreditation arranged long in advance with PR and venues (music, etc.). There are many threads on here saying "I want one!!" followed by all the reasons it won't help them shoot gigs, motorsports etc, I'd like to turn it on it's head and say, I'm not sure that I do need one, but will it give me any advantages I don't currently experience (joining a union IMO is *not* an advantage!!)

Just curious

Cheers

T.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

angusforbes 10 140
10 Aug 2007 11:54AM
I've had one for years and never produced it - I wouldnt bother if I was you. Some people just want to "join the club", the only place it might be important is if you happened across the scene of a major incident and the Police were shutting the area down but unless you live in a major city thi sis very unlikely.
samfurlong 8 2.5k United Kingdom
10 Aug 2007 5:19PM
It can be useful to have a press pass and I have had an NUJ one for a number of years but I am getting increasingly peed off with them and their lack of support for togs, hence going to cancel my membership.
Now have a BPPA card instead, there are also others such as the newspaper society as well.
markb2815 7 2
21 Aug 2007 2:20PM
Has anyone had any thoughts on The European Press Federation press card ?
snapperpaul 7 177
22 Aug 2007 10:27PM
The only time I have ever produced my press pass is when attending film premiers in London. Also occasionally if there are lots of names on the togs list then the press pen is made press card holders only, but this is usually instigated by the togs on the ground who are staffers.
there are a number of organisations who are gatekeepers of the press card, so it doesn't have to be the NUJ
wotashot 11 2.2k
25 Aug 2007 9:40AM
Only produced mine about 4 times this year but then saying that its the PCSO's that are ID mad.

Ive just renewed my press card through the Newspaper Society instead of the NUJ, as above they aren't as supportive as people once thought,

J

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.