Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nvu Website Help

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    FatHandedChap
    22 Aug 2007 - 10:43 AM

Has anybody used Nvu to build a website? Just wondering how well it works, and how easy it is to use.

I donwloaded it the other day, opened it, got scared, closed it. I obviously need more time to study it properly, but just after any useful tips while I'm waiting.

Tony

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Aug 2007 - 10:43 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Duncan_E
    Duncan_E  7201 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Aug 2007 - 12:15 PM

We did use this to edit files once upon a time, but build a website with it....! I can't say I would want to try. Have you thought about using one of the commercial, WYSIWYG web site design programs - much friendlier. We did a roundup of them here.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    FatHandedChap
    22 Aug 2007 - 12:59 PM

Cheers Duncan, I'd seen the revues but thought I'd see what else was available. My current site was built using an ancient version of Web Studio and the code is pretty crude. It also does some odd things like turn text into pictures! It was very simple to use - simply drag and drop - my kind of site building.

I'll have a closer look at the Serif option.

Tony

stolzy
    stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Aug 2007 - 3:57 PM

I agree, its fine for a bit of editing or creating the occasional webpages (I use if for adding tips and memos the the CS help system), but not recommended for building anything more than trivial websites.
    I'm using Rapidweaver, which, although not free is pretty cheap and fine for sites of moderate complexity.

Last Modified By stolzy at 22 Aug 2007 - 3:58 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    KatieR
    KatieR  106197 forum posts6 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Aug 2007 - 4:20 PM

I used Nvu to build a basic site for myself. I had no idea about html or websites beforehand and it got me going ok.

It was very scary at the beginning and I did find it frustrating - I wanted it to work like Word - but I got some pages designed and uploaded in a weekend, which I was pleased about.

The irritation of things going wrong (and not being able to understand why) quickly forced me to learn how analyse the code that it was writing and eventually write some of my own.

If you have lots of time to practise and devote to trial and error learning, I would recommend it, but if you want a professional looking website quickly it's maybe not the best way to do it.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    FatHandedChap
    22 Aug 2007 - 4:37 PM

I wish I did have lots of time for trial and error working, but I'd ideally like a new site up and running by October.

I like the design of my current site, but just find it a bit 'clunky' and amatuerish in its operation. The new one will hopefully be a bit more user friendly with more relevant information on it.

Tony

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.