Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

NX2 - any users?

davegee 1 2
11 May 2013 9:24AM
Are there any NX2 users here?

I have done a quick search and basically found no reference to it.

DaveGee

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

akh e2
10 1.1k 5 United Kingdom
11 May 2013 9:36AM
I use NX2 and have done for a few years.
Tony
Stillbase 3 63 Wales
11 May 2013 9:46AM
So do I - a very useful piece of software.
AlanTW 12 347
11 May 2013 9:55AM
A really underrated piece of software for Nikon users, excellent conversions, reads the camera's Picture Controls, writes changes directly to the NEF not to sidecar files and colour control points knock spots off Lightroom and PS. The interface takes a bit of getting used to and needs updating, but overall an excellent product
Kentman 9 2 United Kingdom
11 May 2013 9:55AM
Me too
JohnParminter 7 1.3k 14 England
11 May 2013 10:08AM
I exclusively use Nikon Transfer, View NX2 and Capture NX2 to great effect... but then I am in the fortuitous position of using a Nikon camera and the software that was designed for it.... Wink
davegee 1 2
11 May 2013 10:24AM
Thanks for the replies,

I have been using NX2 and its predecessors since I started using Nikon Digital Cameras back in the days of the "new" CP5700.

I just wondered if there was any point in being in this forum or whether NX2 is "knocked" here just as it is in some other forums?

I consider myself to be an advanced NX2.4.2 user and not only use it as my ONLY RAW Converter but use it without the addition of an other software for all of my PP needs.

I'll stick around for a while.

DG
JohnParminter 7 1.3k 14 England
11 May 2013 10:37AM

Quote:I just wondered if there was any point in being in this forum or whether NX2 is "knocked" here just as it is in some other forums?

But there are other reasons to be in a forum other than if you use NX2 isn't there Dave.
11 May 2013 10:50AM
NX2 as my raw converter since getting a D70 way back then, can't complain at all.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
11 May 2013 11:59AM
There have been loads of posts on NX2 over the years.

I tried it, and when it worked it was excellent (probably the best RAW converter for Nikon), however for me, and my system it crashed far too many times, so I gave up. Does that make me a knocker of it? What I would say I've tried it three times on different systems, so I feel did give it a fair crack of the wip, I really wanted it to work as I said I feel it's the best converter in terms of quality for Nikon RAWs

It's been 5 years since it was introduced, has gone through a change of ownership (Nik to Nikon), its been neglected. it can't have too long left as Nik did most of the development work and are no longer involved.

I did a quick search for you here are a few mentions of NX2 on EPZ:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ephotozine+capture+nx2&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari
rhol2 e2
3 320 1 United Kingdom
11 May 2013 12:16PM
Another vote for ViewNX2. I find it effective and very straightforward to use. Have not tried Capture NX2 as View does all I need.

The fact that it's rarely mentioned here, suggests to me that it's well regarded.
i.e. people do not, as a rule, seek to find fault with it.

As for "knocking" things, in my experience, this is an easy going forum on the whole, unlike Another Forum I could mention!Wink
pluckyfilly e2
8 318 33 United Kingdom
11 May 2013 4:28PM
Am i doing something wrong as when I uploaded to NX2 having bought a new camera and I shoot Raw files - it converted all my files to JPG which makes shooting in RAW a waste of timeSad
akh e2
10 1.1k 5 United Kingdom
11 May 2013 5:09PM
I really don't understand why this should happen. Can you give a few more details about your workflow so that we can give you advice.
Tony
rhol2 e2
3 320 1 United Kingdom
11 May 2013 5:10PM

Quote:Am i doing something wrong as when I uploaded to NX2 having bought a new camera and I shoot Raw files - it converted all my files to JPG which makes shooting in RAW a waste of timeSad

I can only speak for ViewNX2, but I assume Capture NX2 is similar.I've not come acroos this problem with ViewNX2.

The program should retain files as NEF until you have finished editing them.
Then you should have the option to convert them to Jpegs, 8-bit TIFFs or 16-bitTIFFs.
Possibly some default setting is carrying out the conversion that you describe, perhaps worth checking in the User Manual or Help section.

Roger.
pluckyfilly e2
8 318 33 United Kingdom
11 May 2013 5:32PM
I wonder if I am confused with also using ADOBE DNG having tried so many things, I will have another try with NX and see what happens before I get over excitedGrin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.