Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

NX2 - any users?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

davegee
davegee  1
11 May 2013 - 9:24 AM

Are there any NX2 users here?

I have done a quick search and basically found no reference to it.

DaveGee

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 May 2013 - 9:24 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

akh
akh e2 Member 101142 forum postsakh vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2013 - 9:36 AM

I use NX2 and have done for a few years.
Tony

Stillbase
Stillbase  361 forum posts Wales
11 May 2013 - 9:46 AM

So do I - a very useful piece of software.

AlanTW
AlanTW  11342 forum posts
11 May 2013 - 9:55 AM

A really underrated piece of software for Nikon users, excellent conversions, reads the camera's Picture Controls, writes changes directly to the NEF not to sidecar files and colour control points knock spots off Lightroom and PS. The interface takes a bit of getting used to and needs updating, but overall an excellent product

Kentman
Kentman  9 United Kingdom
11 May 2013 - 9:55 AM

Me too

JohnParminter
11 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

I exclusively use Nikon Transfer, View NX2 and Capture NX2 to great effect... but then I am in the fortuitous position of using a Nikon camera and the software that was designed for it.... Wink

davegee
davegee  1
11 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for the replies,

I have been using NX2 and its predecessors since I started using Nikon Digital Cameras back in the days of the "new" CP5700.

I just wondered if there was any point in being in this forum or whether NX2 is "knocked" here just as it is in some other forums?

I consider myself to be an advanced NX2.4.2 user and not only use it as my ONLY RAW Converter but use it without the addition of an other software for all of my PP needs.

I'll stick around for a while.

DG

JohnParminter
11 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

Quote: I just wondered if there was any point in being in this forum or whether NX2 is "knocked" here just as it is in some other forums?

But there are other reasons to be in a forum other than if you use NX2 isn't there Dave.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8995 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

NX2 as my raw converter since getting a D70 way back then, can't complain at all.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73886 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

There have been loads of posts on NX2 over the years.

I tried it, and when it worked it was excellent (probably the best RAW converter for Nikon), however for me, and my system it crashed far too many times, so I gave up. Does that make me a knocker of it? What I would say I've tried it three times on different systems, so I feel did give it a fair crack of the wip, I really wanted it to work as I said I feel it's the best converter in terms of quality for Nikon RAWs

It's been 5 years since it was introduced, has gone through a change of ownership (Nik to Nikon), its been neglected. it can't have too long left as Nik did most of the development work and are no longer involved.

I did a quick search for you here are a few mentions of NX2 on EPZ:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ephotozine+capture+nx2&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF...

Last Modified By Nick_w at 11 May 2013 - 12:04 PM
rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3302 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

Another vote for ViewNX2. I find it effective and very straightforward to use. Have not tried Capture NX2 as View does all I need.

The fact that it's rarely mentioned here, suggests to me that it's well regarded.
i.e. people do not, as a rule, seek to find fault with it.

As for "knocking" things, in my experience, this is an easy going forum on the whole, unlike Another Forum I could mention!Wink

Last Modified By rhol2 at 11 May 2013 - 12:22 PM
pluckyfilly
pluckyfilly e2 Member 8283 forum postspluckyfilly vcard United Kingdom33 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2013 - 4:28 PM

Am i doing something wrong as when I uploaded to NX2 having bought a new camera and I shoot Raw files - it converted all my files to JPG which makes shooting in RAW a waste of timeSad

akh
akh e2 Member 101142 forum postsakh vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2013 - 5:09 PM

I really don't understand why this should happen. Can you give a few more details about your workflow so that we can give you advice.
Tony

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3302 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2013 - 5:10 PM

Quote: Am i doing something wrong as when I uploaded to NX2 having bought a new camera and I shoot Raw files - it converted all my files to JPG which makes shooting in RAW a waste of timeSad

I can only speak for ViewNX2, but I assume Capture NX2 is similar.I've not come acroos this problem with ViewNX2.

The program should retain files as NEF until you have finished editing them.
Then you should have the option to convert them to Jpegs, 8-bit TIFFs or 16-bitTIFFs.
Possibly some default setting is carrying out the conversion that you describe, perhaps worth checking in the User Manual or Help section.

Roger.

Last Modified By rhol2 at 11 May 2013 - 5:12 PM
pluckyfilly
pluckyfilly e2 Member 8283 forum postspluckyfilly vcard United Kingdom33 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2013 - 5:32 PM

I wonder if I am confused with also using ADOBE DNG having tried so many things, I will have another try with NX and see what happens before I get over excitedGrin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.