Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

O Fortuna - fun alternative version

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64435 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 4:48 PM

Ever misheard lyrics? Well, have a look and listen to this from Carmina Burana. Hilarious and clever. (It starts off very loud BTW).

Last Modified By SlowSong at 19 Nov 2012 - 4:52 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Nov 2012 - 4:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

RogBrown
RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 9:41 PM

Wonderful. Grin
Don't want to be a smartass here (OK, I do Tongue) but there's a word for that. It's called a mondegreen. Honest.
If you're really interested (Yawn!) I'll tell you why.

Rog

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3820 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Nov 2012 - 10:08 PM

Ah yes, the famous Lady Mondegreen, a cousin of Gladly, the cross-eyed bear.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64435 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 10:12 PM

Quote: Don't want to be a smartass here (OK, I do Tongue) but there's a word for that. It's called a mondegreen. Honest.
If you're really interested (Yawn!) I'll tell you why. Rog

Oh go on Rog. We all want to know now. I've never heard of a mondegreen, or even know what you're talking about. Grin

RogBrown
19 Nov 2012 - 10:53 PM

Well, apparently the lady who coined the word used to have a favourite story read to her by her mother when she was a child. In the story the baddies killed Lord Somebody-or-Other and "laid him on the green". The little girl misheard it as "they killed Lord Somebody-or-Other and Lady Mondegreen". Thus the word means the mishearing of the words of a song or poem in such a way as to give it a totally different meaning.
You learn loads of useless information by doing crosswords! Sad
Oldblokeh obviously knows the word but has the advantage of me re Gladly.

oldblokeh
20 Nov 2012 - 6:34 AM

A misheard hymn, Rog: Gladly the cross I'd bear.

SlowSong
20 Nov 2012 - 8:48 AM

Thanks Rog. Smile

RogBrown
20 Nov 2012 - 1:57 PM

How about Psalm 23 :-
Shirley Good 'n' Mrs Murphy shall follow me all the days of my life?

Last Modified By RogBrown at 20 Nov 2012 - 1:58 PM
oldblokeh
20 Nov 2012 - 2:14 PM

Indeed, but: The ants are my friends, they're blowing in the wind !

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73355 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
20 Nov 2012 - 2:51 PM

Back in 1975ish Dave Lee Travis ran a series on Radio1 about misheard lyrics. My favourite was Bonny Tyler singing "It's a hard egg". Apparently she heard the broadcast & re-recorded a sample of "It's a heartache" as "Its a hard (boiled) egg". Hilaroius.

Around the same time my young nephew asked for a record for Christmas called "Mornican Drive" by Wings. We couldn't find any trace of this in the shops & after further questioning we realised he meant "Mull of Kintyre".

oldblokeh
20 Nov 2012 - 3:07 PM

Other famous ones are:

Sewage Machine (Silver Machine - Hawkwind)
The girl with colitis goes by (The girl with kaleidoscope eyes from Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds)
Sue Lawley (So Lonely - The Police)

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
20 Nov 2012 - 3:13 PM

The chorus in Cutting Crew's "Died in my Arms Tonight"......must have been some kind of cheese.

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93453 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
20 Nov 2012 - 10:06 PM

I heard a brilliant re-hash that Paloma Faith did of her own song that became "Picking up the pizzas". Genius.

Geoffphoto
20 Nov 2012 - 10:07 PM

Quote: Back in 1975ish Dave Lee Travis ran a series on Radio1 about misheard lyrics. My favourite was Bonny Tyler singing "It's a hard egg". Apparently she heard the broadcast & re-recorded a sample of "It's a heartache" as "Its a hard (boiled) egg". Hilaroius.

Hate to be pedantic but it was Noel Edmonds !!!

SlowSong
20 Nov 2012 - 10:13 PM

Hope you've all looked at the video in the original posting. If you haven't you've missed a good laugh.
x

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.