Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Obscure Photoshop(etc) tool you have used.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53539 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 5:29 PM

I do like a bit of photo editing from time to time, and I do like discovering new tools to try out.

I'm looking for new ideas, so could you mention one or two non standard edits that you do, or what would you like to do if you had the tool to do it?

Thank you Smile

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 20 May 2013 - 5:29 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 May 2013 - 5:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014489 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 5:39 PM

On pretty much all of the windows that contain a cancel button, if you hold down alt, it changes to a reset button.Smile

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73823 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 5:50 PM

What are you trying to achieve Stuart? Is there anything in particular?

What one person regards as non standard may well be run of the mull tools for someone else.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314957 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 5:53 PM

This Tool should be right up your street Stuart.

http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/adobe-dng-profile-editor-103411

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53539 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 6:04 PM

Quote: What are you trying to achieve Stuart? Is there anything in particular?
What one person regards as non standard may well be run of the mull tools for someone else.

Thanks Nick, Looking for the Unknown, and also trying to see how to make my images look more slick, whether its the overtly defined glossy lips of fashion or the depth of light in an moody image of the smooth crisp feel of a scene.
Lots of things really, but thought an open question may also help others see new ideas too.

Thanks all so far Smile

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73823 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 6:28 PM

I haven't done much in the way of model work (so probably the wrong person to help), but for lips I would look at low amount high radius unsharp mask (note not true sharpening) I would also look at curves adjustments (lifting the curve between mid tone and highlights).

As for a crisp look, well I think that's more down to the lens and nailing the focus, using the correct aperture - a clarity improvement in Lightroom / Capture One helps.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 6:31 PM

The thing is, what's obscure to you might not be to someone else and, similarly, what some might consider a bread-and-butter tool could seem weird and wonderful to others.

I think Curves is the most flexible and useful tool that PS offers. So much can be done in terms of colour and tone corrections that you may not need any other tool. I generally just use Curves and Selective Colo(u)r.

The best way to go, imo, is to decide what it is you want to achieve and then research techniques that will help you get that look rather than just getting a bunch of random tools with little idea of what problems you can solve with them.

Last Modified By joolsb at 20 May 2013 - 6:34 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314957 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 7:06 PM

Do you use grids in your studio set up Stuart, I find these good for adding crispness.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72149 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 7:31 PM

I didn't start to use the pen tool until last year, and now use it a lot for creating selections, and for fill(black/white for masks and also colour) purposes, which has cut down on brush time.
It's not right for everything but a good tool to know.

Layer styles are very creative if you think outside the box, or in my case try as a last resort!

pmorgan
pmorgan  7217 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 7:48 PM

The best advice I can throw in for what it is worth, having used Photoshop for 20 years, is to keep experimenting. Almost every tool has several sub tools or different results when used in conjunction with either click and control(PC)/command(Mac) or alt(PC)/option(Mac) or shift, or a combination of all. For instance, to further constrain the luminosity selection in a channel, the click+alt+control+shift is used.

Have fun playing!

Rgds
Paul

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014740 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 8:08 PM

Quote: to further constrain the luminosity selection in a channel

.....further than what? Wink

pmorgan
pmorgan  7217 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 8:42 PM

Quote: to further constrain the luminosity selection in a channel

.....further than what? Wink

I'm sure you know Ade, but for those who don't - when you control and click on any given channel thumbnail in the channels palette it makes a selection of the lighter areas of the image. If you use the click+alt+control+shift combination you can incrementally make selections that narrow down to only the very brightest pixels in an image. This can be very handy for recovering blown out areas of sky for instance. By using a luminosity mask, you can select the areas of sky that are too bright, make a curves adjustment layer from that selection and set it to multiply.

A lot easier to do than type here, but a quick look online will show loads of tutorials on the method.

Rgds
Paul

Nick_w
20 May 2013 - 9:12 PM

I forgot how I did it Paul, as I saved it as a set of actions, and use it all the time. The channels panel is very underused by many. The principal can also be used to help with complex selections.

Then when you do that Ctrl+I gives the darkest pixels - great for recovering shadow details.

Shift+Ctrl+Alt+N+E copies all the layers into a new layer, probably the most used shortcut for me tho you need to be a contortionist to perform it.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 20 May 2013 - 9:18 PM
arhb
arhb e2 Member 72149 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 9:20 PM

Quote: I forgot how I did it Paul, as I saved it as a set of actions, and use it all the time. The channels panel is very underused by many. The principal can also be used to help with complex selections.

Shift+Ctrl+Alt+N+E copies all the layers into a new layer, probably the most used shortcut for me tho you need to be a contortionist to perform it.

In cs6, that is now Alt+Ctrl+Shift+E

Nick_w
20 May 2013 - 9:28 PM

I'm not at my PC but I think that copies everything into an already created empty layer, the other creates an empty layer as well. But will check it out later.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.