Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Obscure Photoshop(etc) tool you have used.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
GlennH
GlennH e2 Member 81820 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

The HSB/HSL plugin is interesting, or little-known at least - used to be tucked away on the PS disc but more recently is only available by free download I think, here.

The HSB/HSL filter is applied to a duplicate layer in Photoshop, then you hit Ctrl + the green channel, create a hue/saturation adjustment layer, delete duplicate layer, then edit hue/saturation layer with a perfectly gradated mask revealing the most saturated areas of the image (or the least if you invert the original selection).

In recent years I guess the vibrance slider serves a similar role, although with the saturation mask you can play around with lightness and selection+feathering sliders to modify the result.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

Wow, lots to find here, thanks.
Yes Paul I've done a shoot with a single tall thin softbox with a open grid and loved it, and as you say it was crisper than i usually get, I've also used honeycomb grids on my cheap lights and that too gave great crispness - never tied it together before thanks.

Thanks Arhb, never tried the pen tool before, its got a few modes to master too, but seems to handle curves very well, and clicking the make selection button afterwards looks super to localised edits, i think you told me a bit about this before - i need to try this some more.

Those Channel and Path tabs, I did the "click+alt+control+shift" thing but i think first need to read up about this.

I knew Alt+Ctrl+Shift+E - i call it create a stamp layer - a snapshot of all before and sometimes use it for final liquidify tweaks of colour adjustments.
I tried Shift+Ctrl+Alt+N+E - but for me (cs6) it seemed to do the same thing.

Thanks for some great hints Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214378 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 8:13 AM

Quote: Yes Paul I've done a shoot with a single tall thin softbox with a open grid and loved it, and as you say it was crisper than i usually get, I've also used honeycomb grids on my cheap lights and that too gave great crispness - never tied it together before thanks

I`ll always be an advocate for getting it right in camera, and I admit my PS skills are pretty much limited to just the odd bit of dodging and burning, B&W conversions and so on Smile

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 9:43 AM

Thanks Glenn, i did download those extra plugins, though not installed yet. I wonder if that's the kind of thing that
will gradually be lost with the cloud subscription?

Agreed Paul, A good photo to start with is a massive boost, and I think good glass is an overlooked essential here so that you don't lose the initial crispness. Whenever I think this I wonder if choosing the 24-105 over the 24-70 a few years back when the prices were similar was a studio mistake. At the time i wanted a good general lens and in that respect its been a good choice, but maybe less so now.

I've a few new good things to learn some more thanks - Local edits done with the pen tool, and a closer look at the channels tab - thanks will keep me busy on the PC till I get time to do another proper shoot.

Thank you.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

ah ok - gotcha - I've meddled with channels and stuff, rememered you could "intersect" them and all sorts.

I wrote an action which created loads of them - kinda stopped using it when I realised it made each shot about 1 gig in size lol

use them to create masks rather than lots or new channels now Wink

pmorgan
pmorgan  7217 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

Yeah, if you intersect a darks with a lights channel luminosity mask you get a mid-tones mask. This in my opinion is probably the most useful of all. If you make curve adjustments using a mid-tone mask you affect just that, the mid tones leaving the brightest and darkest areas untouched. This is a great way to add contrast without losing shadow or highlight detail.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214378 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 May 2013 - 8:30 AM

Very worthwhile with what you do Stuart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hN6TzXdbNs

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.