Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Occupy London protest.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Zatoichi
Zatoichi  5707 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Oct 2011 - 12:57 PM

Quote: Would be interesting to know more, like which company directors for instance

Start with banks!

Ps. In relation to Income Tax in the US, there is no law which states ordinary US citizens have to pay tax. The come back for those who chose not to is that they will never get issued with a passport. The only law is related to corporate tax, ironically.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Oct 2011 - 12:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

fraser
fraser  10631 forum posts Scotland14 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2011 - 12:59 PM

I believe the survey is based on the directors of the Footsie 100 companies.

Public sector procurement is very difficult for SME's and our hit rate declined rapidly when they switched to preferred lists (another process that favours the big boys). This was at the same time that the housing market collapsed and both things together really hurt us. We are on the mend again but it's a long, slow and painful haul, not helped by ongoing economic mismanagement and the sucking of money into the pockets of the rich and their offshore accounts.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012548 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2011 - 1:01 PM

theres a short list here here at the end of the article.

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 28 Oct 2011 - 1:01 PM
monstersnowman
28 Oct 2011 - 2:28 PM

Quote: I believe the survey is based on the directors of the Footsie 100 companies.

Public sector procurement is very difficult for SME's and our hit rate declined rapidly when they switched to preferred lists (another process that favours the big boys). This was at the same time that the housing market collapsed and both things together really hurt us. We are on the mend again but it's a long, slow and painful haul, not helped by ongoing economic mismanagement and the sucking of money into the pockets of the rich and their offshore accounts.

I'm sure there arent many on here that would disagree Fraser .. its a murky world up there.

"The IDS report is set to reignite demands for the Government to curb executive pay, and the Unite union last night called for shareholders to be given more power to hold directors accountable. "The Government should strongly consider giving shareholders greater legal powers to question and curb these excessive remuneration packages," said the union's general secretary Len McCluskey. "Institutional shareholders need to exercise much greater scrutiny and control of directors' pay and bonuses. It's obscene and it shows that the City has learnt nothing during the financial troubles of the last four years."

Last Modified By monstersnowman at 28 Oct 2011 - 2:30 PM
Zatoichi
28 Oct 2011 - 2:42 PM

Quote: It's obscene and it shows that the City has learnt nothing during the financial troubles of the last four years."

They were never going to legislate for themselves and the promises from governments to do something was typical rhetoric. Vince Cable said some really good things, before coming to power.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014037 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2011 - 3:07 PM

Quote:
They were never going to legislate for themselves and the promises from governments to do something was typical rhetoric.

Trouble is, unless you get global agreement, all that will happen is the banks will move to a country where doing business is cheaper.

mikehit
mikehit  46182 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2011 - 3:11 PM

Quote: Vince Cable said some really good things, before coming to power.

I agree. But unfortunately he also said some pretty *!#*!!? stupid things that meant he couldn't do his job properly. I would have thought someone of his experience would know when to keep his mouth shut.

Quote: "The Government should strongly consider giving shareholders greater legal powers to question and curb these excessive remuneration packages,"

They already can - sharegholdes have to approve the appointment and remuneration of senior memebrs the Board. The problem is that all the FTSE 100 companies are shareholders of all the other companies and no-one wants to rock the boat because it will bounce back on them. The 'ethical' common man who is sick of all this doesn't stand a cat in hell's chance of outvoting the big bluechip companies who own most of the shares.

Zatoichi
28 Oct 2011 - 3:43 PM

Quote: Trouble is, unless you get global agreement, all that will happen is the banks will move to a country where doing business is cheaper.

Absolutely. Which leads us back to the question of why our government allowed a private institution to dominate the economy for so long while turning a blind eye to how they do/did business. While these institutions continue to run or dictate political policy a global agreement is unlikely. US bankers have basically said legislation to curb or make accountable their practise will never happen.

Quote: I agree. But unfortunately he also said some pretty *!#*!!? stupid things that meant he couldn't do his job properly. I would have thought someone of his experience would know when to keep his mouth shut.

Yep. Not that he would have had a chance to do anything constructive anyway.

NeilWigan
NeilWigan e2 Member 4NeilWigan vcard England15 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2011 - 1:07 AM

for the past sixty years the western world has been fighting wars, to" impose "democracy ,against the evil marxist communist regimes around the world ,we are now going cap in hand asking them to get us out of the **** we have buried ourselves in .They will provide it and stand back as it gets squandered amongst the 1% elite and we, the west, will have to go again , they can wait us out .Remember what happened last time when inflation ran amok and people were scared ."Lest we forget"

thewilliam
29 Oct 2011 - 1:31 PM

When one of the senior CofE people was interviewd on the news, I was reminded of an episode of "Yes, Prime Minister".

Jim Hacker had to appoint a new Bishop and reminded his wife that, in reality, the Church of England is a City Investment Institution. He dismissed his wife's suggested candidate because he was "too religious".

At the grass roots, our Vicar is everything we could expect from her and a lot more. The problem seems to be with the senior management.

Zatoichi
31 Oct 2011 - 12:30 PM

Interesting comments from a 'trader'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqN3amj6AcE

mikehit
31 Oct 2011 - 3:55 PM

I think this is the clip that went viral a few weeks ago - it turns out that he is a small-time trader working from a pokey bedroom office in a house owned by his wife. Whether that invalidates his comments is for the viewer to decide. Personally, I think he does represent the views of many institutions and their traders.

Zatoichi
31 Oct 2011 - 4:47 PM

Quote: I think this is the clip that went viral a few weeks ago - it turns out that he is a small-time trader working from a pokey bedroom office in a house owned by his wife. Whether that invalidates his comments is for the viewer to decide. Personally, I think he does represent the views of many institutions and their traders.

It was thought he was 'fake', turns out he was a 'honest' trader, if thats possible.

mikehit
31 Oct 2011 - 5:27 PM

In a way I think it is a shame that people need someone to come on television and spell it out. If you take half a minute to think about it, everything he says is totally logical. When this first came out, one of the BBC financial editors confirmed that everything he said is common knowledge in the financial circles (Goldmann Sachs rule the governments, downturns beneif the financial parasites etc) but no-one dare break the code of silence because if you do the journalist will not get another 'exclusive interview'. [read: the sycophantic, weak-willed, gutless press will do anything for a story]. And within financial circles it was not what he said that was shocking, but the fact he came out into the open and said it. That is when they started the 'he trades from his bedroom, what does he know' character assassination.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014037 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2011 - 6:12 PM

I'm not really sure what he said that is so shocking. From what I can make out he sees himself as a bond trader - so I am sure he would want a downward market as that is where he would make money.
You see it all the time in the big banks, if the market goes up they lay off 2000 people who work in the fixed income (bonds) areas and suddenly employ 2000 to work in the equity markets. Market goes the other way and there are lots of equity traders looking for work & lots of bond traders taking up new positions.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.