Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Off camera flash

21 Nov 2010 4:19PM
Having recently bought my 430exii, I am wanting to further develop its uses by firing it off the camera ie. not mounted on the shoe. I am using a Canon 350d and want to know my options are.

Thanks

Chris

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

TRUEX e2
7 218 10
21 Nov 2010 4:56PM
I use a Canon ST-E2 TRANSMITTER, cheaper transmitters are available, some better than others.
lawbert e2
7 1.8k 15 England
21 Nov 2010 5:30PM
Hi Chris

I looked into this a while ago and decided on a 10metre hotshoe cable which I bought from Ebay for about 30 quid (its made really well indeed)

By using a cable you still have full control over the shutter speed of the camera as most of the cheap radio triggers only synch up between 1/150 and 1/250sec

The ST-E2 is the proper tool for the job but you can nearly buy yourself another flash for the money Canon want for it!!

I use a 430ex and have bought a 580exII to control it combined with the lead I mentioned above....It seemed the cheapest option to me whilst still retaining full control over the setup.
webby962 e2
9 128 1 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2010 1:16PM
To be honest, I'm now a convert to Off camera flash and using the flash guns in Manual. No cables or wires. More control, and a better understanding of light.
I used a cheap fleabay 602 trigger system for my Canon EX580II and Sigma DG Super 500 flash guns. So far great results (well results i'm happy with LOL).

A wealth of info can be found here:

http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/off-camera-flash-photography-thread-81121

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Rgds

Adie

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.