Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Off camera flash

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 8240 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    21 Nov 2010 - 4:19 PM

Having recently bought my 430exii, I am wanting to further develop its uses by firing it off the camera ie. not mounted on the shoe. I am using a Canon 350d and want to know my options are.

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Nov 2010 - 4:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

TRUEX
    TRUEX  7218 forum posts10 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2010 - 4:56 PM

I use a Canon ST-E2 TRANSMITTER, cheaper transmitters are available, some better than others.

lawbert
    lawbert  71701 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2010 - 5:30 PM

Hi Chris

I looked into this a while ago and decided on a 10metre hotshoe cable which I bought from Ebay for about 30 quid (its made really well indeed)

By using a cable you still have full control over the shutter speed of the camera as most of the cheap radio triggers only synch up between 1/150 and 1/250sec

The ST-E2 is the proper tool for the job but you can nearly buy yourself another flash for the money Canon want for it!!

I use a 430ex and have bought a 580exII to control it combined with the lead I mentioned above....It seemed the cheapest option to me whilst still retaining full control over the setup.

Last Modified By lawbert at 21 Nov 2010 - 5:30 PM
    webby962
    webby962  8128 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Nov 2010 - 1:16 PM

To be honest, I'm now a convert to Off camera flash and using the flash guns in Manual. No cables or wires. More control, and a better understanding of light.
    I used a cheap fleabay 602 trigger system for my Canon EX580II and Sigma DG Super 500 flash guns. So far great results (well results i'm happy with LOL).

A wealth of info can be found here:

http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/off-camera-flash-photography-thread-81121
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Rgds

Adie

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.