Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Off Camera Flash

21 Jan 2012 5:12PM
Hi Guys

I am hoping someone can help. I am looking for an off the camera flash option. I currently have a Nikon D3000 with a non Nikon flash and was looking to explore off carmera flash photography.

I have searched the internet and reached no clear option for this. Is there a product out there that will allow me to take the flash off my camera and fire it at the same time as the shutter.

Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miptog 9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2012 6:04PM
What Flash model do you have?
BigRick 9 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2012 6:18PM
search for radio trigger, have a look at wex, they have loads of types.
cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
21 Jan 2012 6:50PM
There you go, All the off camera flash devices you could wish for , At affordable prices, From a company with a good reputation.

As to which model trigger is for you, Have a read up on the specs, Dial in what you want to do with it, Then you will have a better informed idea/opinion.

The Guys a UKH will offer some advise if you are still stuck or not clear about something.

Don't buy the very cheap options, You get what you pay for....Grin

I can highly recommend the " Pixel Pro " Brand because I use this brand myself......Wink

This model for example will do what you have asked for, The next one up does a little more.....Grin

If you have a non Nikon flashgun, So long as the item has a dedicated hotshoe pin arrangement, The unit I linked to above will do the job, The reason why third pary flashes are not listed is because there are many and not all are gifted with the " Dedicated " title, Same applies to camera models, They sometimes forget to include older models, Your D3000 should be the same flash arrangement as the nwer D3100, Certainly pin wise......Smile Have fun when you set your flash free.....!!!!!
22 Jan 2012 7:08PM
Hi guys

Firstly thank you for your responses I will have a look.

miptog - I have a third party flashgun (a jessop 360AFDN - only just starting out and have a limtied budget)

camercat - All the remote triggers don't list my camera as compatable with any of the units. When I asked in my local store I was told that if they work with the D3100 they will work with mine but I got a Hahnel Combi TF and it didn't work.
miptog 9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2012 7:32PM
The Jessops 360AFDN, according to Jessops web page listing, has a (optical) slave mode. You may be able to put in in slave mode and trigger it with the on camera flash. It may not support TTL, and may only work for manual mode settings.

Wireless triggers, as previously suggested, would probably be better. Just check what they support; that is, they may not support TTL, or affect the sync speed.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
22 Jan 2012 7:33PM
Depending on what it is you want to do, have you thought about just getting an off camera flash cord?.....A very cheap one can be at 7DayShop at 8.99 which for the time being might meet your needs. However they can be bought for various costs and lengths......Just an idea!

Ade
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
22 Jan 2012 7:51PM
The "third party" flash thing seems a wee bit fraught.

After getting a Nikon P7100 for my wife, I bought a "Nikon-fit" Nissin flash for her. It would not work on her P7100 but it worked absolutely fine on my D3s. My Nikon SB600 worked fine on her P7100.

As I was thinking of getting a second flash unit anyway, I decided to keep the Nissin for myself and bought her a Metz which works fine on her Nikon camera.

Don't ask me why.

(Also don't ask me why OEM Nikon flashguns are twice the price of 3rd party equivalents).

22 Jan 2012 8:01PM
i have managed to find an Off-Camera Flash sync that says it works with my camera and a third party flash and i can get it in a number of lengths.

This is a Pixel FC-312S TTL Off-Camera Flash Sync Cord for Nikon Camera Flashgun as SC-28

Thanks for all your help. Looking forward to play around with my flash now.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
22 Jan 2012 8:03PM
Have fun.....

Ade
robertt 8 67 United Kingdom
4 Feb 2012 7:50PM
I have an old Nissin flash gun I used to use with my film camera which won`t connect to my Nikon D300, but I have an old nissin SYNCRO-EYE. They can still be bought on ebay for a tenner. You can use them off camera flash and they fire when your pop up flash fires, so they are not connected to your camera.

robertt.
robertt 8 67 United Kingdom
4 Feb 2012 8:16PM
Sorry for the above it should be Amazon not ebay.

robertt

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.