Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Off Camera Flash Photography Thread

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414.
whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94035 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2010 - 9:46 AM

Thanks Steve, looks like I will be ordering that. I assume that you can use that if you are shooting through an umbrella as well?
Sorry for all the questions, but I am an absolute beginner on this one. Things are so much easier if you have a cyclist flying past Smile

The other thing would be, are there any books on off camera flash that anyone can recommend?

Last Modified By whipspeed at 22 Apr 2010 - 10:01 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Apr 2010 - 9:46 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

steve_kershaw
22 Apr 2010 - 10:03 AM

yes you can

not sure about any books but strobist are about the biggest resource on the net, also follow the link to there ficker group, anything to do with off camera flash has been discussed there

Last Modified By steve_kershaw at 22 Apr 2010 - 10:05 AM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014560 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2010 - 10:41 AM

Quote: Why do threads like these run there course in a few days?
I am amazed at the quantity of photographers here who don't contribute, I would of thought this could run for weeks if not months

its a shame Sad

I've started a lot like these over the years and they do dwindle in a depressingly fast time.

We had the "which do you prefer" thread - you'd post an "epz friendly" shot and in the mods/variants post something more challenging that you really liike. the idea was to get people thinking about what good photography is - is it the chocolate box shot of Ashness Bridge or maybe a mono abstract?

I really enjoyed that, though it ended up with just me and NEWMANP (Phil) doing it - he got his first HC from that too.

There's also the "groups" we started - they're in the meetings section, they've fizzled out a bit

the critique buddies idea lasted a good few months - that's died....

Also started a thread on "truly useful filters" - looks like Silverlight is the only one Wink

Thing is - it only takes a few people to keep these things bubbling along, so when I upload a shot I often add it to a "group" and maybe shove it in a forum thread, so if a few of us do the same on this thread, it'll survive.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94035 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2010 - 10:41 AM

Right, I'll have a good trawl thought the net later & start saving off some pages.

Ade, I'm happy to keep going on this one as it's something I'd like to continue.

Last Modified By whipspeed at 22 Apr 2010 - 10:55 AM
ade_mcfade
22 Apr 2010 - 11:14 AM

Cool Smile

Hopefully that's 3 of is then

whipspeed
22 Apr 2010 - 11:20 AM

Well, from little acorns Smile

Other project I have in mind is shooting hubby's car. We've got a subaru impreza, the new hatchback one & it's just having new wheels & tyres to make it look even prettier Smile So I wanted to have a go at some shots of it looking agressive & menacing. Since I persuaded him that I needed another flash and the transmitter & receivers & stands & stuff, I thought I'd better do something like that Smile

steve_kershaw
22 Apr 2010 - 11:22 AM

Quote: Hopefully that's 3 of is then

can I be Aramis Wink

steve_kershaw
22 Apr 2010 - 11:25 AM

what off camera flash gear do you all have?

ade_mcfade
22 Apr 2010 - 11:36 AM

For outside...

3 canon speedlites (580Mk2, 550 and old 430EZ)
Radio trigger & Recievers for the 3 (ebay rather than pocket wizards)
3 stands
Viewfinder Speedlite kit - beauty dishes, grids, snoots etc.
Brolly
Lots of Gels with velcro

Indoors....

A couple of stobe heads
Variety of brollies
Softbox
2 radio triggers - same frequency as the strobes, so can use 5 lights if needed.

Its definitely a budget setup as I've got a policy of buying what I "need" rather than frittering cash on stuff I'll rarely use.

I really fancy the Elinchrom Ranger setup and some big softboxes for some outdoor stuff, but you're into the 1000's there - I'd just bob down to the Flash Centre in Leeds and hire them for about 40 a day instead. Share the cost out with the model if you're doing TFCD and it's just 20 each for a day - bargain!

steve_kershaw
22 Apr 2010 - 11:59 AM

for outside
2 300w steller xtream
4 canon speedlights (580mk2.2x580,430mk2)
2 vivitar speedlighs 285(i think lol)
6 pocket wizards (5xflex5 and a minitt1)
2` softbox (ebay copy of the lastolite)
50"` westcott apollo softbox
stands, brollies, and bits, 4xlightspheres, reflectors and some backgrounds

for indoors

lastolite hilti + train
background support and 3 rolls of paper
2x600 and 2x150 strobes, plus the Stella's above
and all the other bits and bobs

you would think with all that I should be able to take a decent pictureTongue

whipspeed
22 Apr 2010 - 12:06 PM

2 Canon Speedlights (1x 430 & 1x580)
Pocket wizard one transmitter & 2 receivers.
2 Umbrellas & one speedlight strobie kit with various bits & bobs in. only one adaptor though, need one for the 430.
couple of reflectors
Just ordered the gels from ebay (bargain under 10 & free post)
2 stands with adaptor things for angling & attaching umbrellas.

No backgrounds or anything else.

ade_mcfade
22 Apr 2010 - 4:16 PM

so...

Shadows on the face... a good thing or bad thing?

I posted a bunch of shots on Digitial Wedding Forum to test the water and the feedback was that the shadows were not flattering...

These were character shots of Tandberg, not lovely brides Wink

My "style", if you can call it that, is to have hightly directional lighting with shadows and darkness playing a big part. I like that slightly edgy feel you can get that way. Lights at 4 oclock and 10 oclock for instance - you get a really big shadow over the face, and the 10-o'clock light lights the rim to give an outline.

I'll did out an example... later

whipspeed
22 Apr 2010 - 4:57 PM

Think they suit a male face better, but from a certain age, maybe from about 30 onwards, which sounds a bit specific, but it can suit a more how shall I say lived in face (am I making sense here?).
Whereas it can be unflattering on a female face, unless it is a general dark shot with a spot of light. Like the old black & white films where the heroine is in darkness apart from maybe the eyes.

steve_kershaw
22 Apr 2010 - 5:02 PM

Quote: Shadows on the face... a good thing or bad thing?

my single biggest fault is that I over light my portraits (not over expose) with a big soft light

shadows can create charicter and develop the mood of the shot

big soft light works well too, but as in my example below you are relying on the subject to deliver any impact
mummy was very pleased with this
this was a big octobox as main camera left and a big softbox camera right
closeup.jpg

and this one was an attempt to create shadows
-mg-6357-edit.jpg

whipspeed
22 Apr 2010 - 5:04 PM

As a mum (albeit a mum of a hulking great 19 year old now!) I would have liked the first shot, it just shows off the lovely skin children have.
I like the expression in the second, but the shadows under the eyes make her look tired.

Last Modified By whipspeed at 22 Apr 2010 - 5:04 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.