Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Off Camera Flash Photography Thread

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73846 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2010 - 5:07 PM

Wedding shots Ade would probably need a more sympathetic approach to the subject to your usual grunge look Ade. Most people will want to look their best on the big day even the blokes. O you may have to adapt the style slightly to accomodate this.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Apr 2010 - 5:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

steve_kershaw
22 Apr 2010 - 5:39 PM

this is a wedding shot where I was trying to achieve aids effect
2 speedlights camera left and right at about 45 degrees 1.3 seconds at F8

I got the background pull spot on and was pleased to get the light sparkling at F8
but again its ended up with quite an even light, now I like the shot and the B&G was pleased as punch with it, I had underpowered the right speedlight but my first shot showed I lost too much detail in the dress and all the detail in the suite,
I would of liked to of played with this until I got what I had intended, but I figured when you are asking them to remain still for 2 seconds any more than 2 shots and I would become one of those pesky togs

1-night1.jpg

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73846 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2010 - 7:22 PM

the-last-post.jpg

Just to show you don't have to use strobes just on people.

This was ISO 200
15 sec @ F4 (100-300 @135mm)
strobe (SB900) bare camera right 1/4CTO @14mm setting (dome diffuser) @ 1/16 power

Camera set on 20 sec timer whilst I moved in position to aim the flash.

User_Removed
22 Apr 2010 - 8:30 PM

your Nadia shot Ade is superb, really do like that

i will jump on the band wagon then as it's something i am trying to get into. Here are couple of recent ones

red-9509mono.jpg red-9492.jpg
red-9497a.jpg

currently using 2 SB900s an Elemental portable softbox and a 1m Octabox for these

Last Modified By User_Removed at 22 Apr 2010 - 8:36 PM
BigRick
BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2010 - 9:46 PM

Quote: So...

Shadows on the face... a good thing or bad thing?

I posted a bunch of shots on Digitial Wedding Forum to test the water and the feedback was that the shadows were not flattering...

These were character shots of Tandberg, not lovely brides Wink

My "style", if you can call it that, is to have hightly directional lighting with shadows and darkness playing a big part. I like that slightly edgy feel you can get that way. Lights at 4 oclock and 10 oclock for instance - you get a really big shadow over the face, and the 10-o'clock light lights the rim to give an outline.

I'll did out an example... later

I have that as my favorite type of lighting too.... people have told me that the shadows are too harsh, but thats how i like to take the picture, and that is my preference. I can change the lighting if i am asked to, but if it is my choice, it is big shadows and loads of rim lighting.

BigRick
BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2010 - 9:48 PM

Quote: Shadows on the face... a good thing or bad thing?

my single biggest fault is that I over light my portraits (not over expose) with a big soft light

shadows can create charicter and develop the mood of the shot

big soft light works well too, but as in my example below you are relying on the subject to deliver any impact
mummy was very pleased with this
this was a big octobox as main camera left and a big softbox camera right

and this one was an attempt to create shadows

Loving the first photo.... really soft light, and makes the skin look really smooth.... really need to try this type of lighting as it is very flattering.... agree with the other post about the second shot making the child look tired, as it gives the impression of bags under the eyes.

steve_kershaw
22 Apr 2010 - 10:39 PM

Quote: Your Nadia shot Ade is superb, really do like that

for me this is a perfect example of off camera flash, where you have created a mood that wasn't there to begin with, most of us enhance existing light or provide fill

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2010 - 12:11 AM

I think you've nailed it there Steve - I've always done that with flash, creating rather than compensating. Often creating that drama ends up with shadows - and I do apprecate that this kinda thing is a no-no at a wedding Wink Well, maybe when doing the blokes you can get creative and give them a gangsta look.

I purposely look to create background shadows on urban shoot, getting a strong rim light and shadow adds something for me - not in every instance of course, but imagine a dark railway arch... it works a treat

Just been over at Temple Newsam with a new young model and managed to break a trigger when a brolly blew over.... arse.... but the shots there are more traditional as it's in a country park. Not managed to edit any yet though... had a few ciders since Smile

oh - Nadia was fantastic... a model that required absolutely no direction whatsoever, was intelligent, talkative, positive and just fantasticly open minded re. locations and stuff.... we ended up on Emley Moor ffs! Can't wait to shoot again but she's in London now

steve_kershaw
23 Apr 2010 - 1:46 PM

Ade
this is overlapping a bit from the fashion thread
this style is quite different from Bruce's portfolio, do you see this being a welcome addition to the models portfolio? has your shot of Nadia got pride of place in her portfolio?

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2010 - 2:14 PM

I've not seen Bruces stuff yet - blocked at work - but no, it's not really in any way "commecial" really, I've not seen her portfolio but wouldn't expect it to be in there. She's got lots of commercial stuff in there - with bleeding apples and that kind of thing - I think she was after something different and that's why whe contacted me.

The feedback on the set, the experiece of shooting with me, the ideas and the results was fantastic.

As with landscape and architecture, I rarely if ever look at other people's work so don't know what "normal" is.

It's the luxury of being semi-pro and not full time (just yet), you can work to your own breif and if people like it and want to pay for it, brilliant. If not, the day job pays the mortgage Wink

User_Removed
23 Apr 2010 - 2:20 PM

its great when you get a model that you just click with creatively. I have been fortunate in that i have found 2 now, although i got a lot of ignored emails before finding them. One of which has loads of ideas she always wants to try out which is great for me. We are going to try something out this weekend so i am really hoping to get some really top shots, especially as now having worked with her before it will be more relaxed with time to think

Last Modified By User_Removed at 23 Apr 2010 - 2:20 PM
ade_mcfade
23 Apr 2010 - 2:26 PM

I just want them to be chatty for starters!

Then when you get a rapport, you can get them doing stuff they may not think of.

Last night I asked one to hide behind a tree and peep around it... got a very strange look back.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good shoot, but doing stuff like that that usually lubricates an evening really nicely!

Interestingly, every model I've ever shot approached me based on my Model Mayhem portfolio - it does work having a set on there

steve_kershaw
23 Apr 2010 - 2:38 PM

whats your id on MM ade?

User_Removed
23 Apr 2010 - 2:40 PM

Ade do you pay for a profile on there ? i have a profile on MM and Purestorm but it's just a free account, and both limit you to 8-10 shots i think. Just wondered if it was worth shelling out a few quid for a silver account or whatever they call it

ade_mcfade
23 Apr 2010 - 2:49 PM

Anyway - here's another shot....

this is Sarah, a mate's step daughter, 18, never modelled before - just lots of self portraits on Facebook and I just mentioned that I'd do some "proper" shots one evening if she liked.

So Kirkstall abbey in leeds - this was by the door, the ambient light was not enough for the AF to work at this stage so I had her hold a fag lighter up to get focus!

Had beein doing normal shots before - then she showed me the "twilight" shot on her I-Phone and asked if we could do that.

So got them posed by looking at the Iphone then directing them

One ligtht behind doing the strong rim light - plane 550EX flash. The foreground was a very low powered 580EX with a mini beauty dish on - high on the right, maybe 4 o'clock or 3...

lrg-18097-1254760737.jpg

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.