Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Off Camera Flash Photography Thread

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
tatkinson1983
26 Apr 2010 - 8:05 PM

This shot

FLash left of rider at full power, flash right of right at 1/4 I think.
Under exposed the sky to get the most out of the dull day, flashes to help the rider..POP Smile

I used skyports to trigger, sigma and vivitar flashes.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Apr 2010 - 8:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
26 Apr 2010 - 8:09 PM

cool, like that. Would like to see a colour shot too

johnnyboy114
26 Apr 2010 - 8:11 PM

Was thinking the same thing...I know skys look more dramatic in mono, but would love to see the colour version of this....but love the shot. Really nicely done

steve_kershaw
26 Apr 2010 - 9:30 PM

again another cracking shot framing the subject with the dramatic landscape

tatkinson1983
26 Apr 2010 - 9:47 PM

There is a colour version on here somewhere in my pics etc but due to the miserable day it lacks the power of the black and white version.
Thanks for the comments. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Always nice to see different techniques etc.

johnnyboy114
27 Apr 2010 - 5:04 PM

Hey guys

Here is another upload from the set I did over at Hatfield Forest with my work friend...

Just a quick point...I don't think my last upload was THAT bad, yet I had very, very few votes and comments and thought that actually, it was one of my better shots.....

Is there a reason for this? Are they THAT bad? Here is the second one. Be honest. Again, I really like this one, but is there anything fundamentally wrong with it? I have seen recent uploads that I think are good, but they aren't utterly fantastic, yet get absolutely LOADS of votes and comments......am I doing something totally wrong?

iza-hatfield-forest-176.jpg

Let me know what you think. Vivitar 283 on full power up high camera left, sunlight camera right, f8-9 ish, reflective umbrella......

Cheers people! Smile

User_Removed
27 Apr 2010 - 5:14 PM

i really like it too mate. Had my first efforts when i started out down this path been as good as yours i would've been well happy. As for votes i think that its down to a combination of things. One being that there are not a great deal of users on here that understand flash and to that end don't appreciate the effort that can go into getting a good shot. You have so many balls to juggle with lighting and camera settings etc then finding locations and posing the model etc. Also i have noticed that portraits, environmental or otherwise notoriously just don't do that well on here. I could be wrong but it's just my tuppenceworth

rgds
Dave

johnnyboy114
27 Apr 2010 - 5:21 PM

No, fair points all around Dave. I don't get it sometimes. I don't mean to sound mean spirited and bitter, but sometimes I am amazed at the shots that get LOADS of votes and comments and I do feel that they really aren't that good, yet some shots on this site that are just utterly out of this world, or shots that push the boundaries or are totally original, get absolutely diddly.....I don't put my images in any of those latter categories to be honest, but I do feel they have an edge over "some" of the images of a similar vein, yet THEY get loads of votes....it does make you wonder if you are doing something really quite fundamentally wrong and can be quite demoralising.....but I guess you have to take in all the considerations you have mentioned above. I should stop being so sensitive and just enjoy and love what I do I guess......lol! Wink

Thanks for the feedback though Dave. Glad you liked the image Smile

User_Removed
27 Apr 2010 - 5:36 PM

yeah its a bone of contention on the site mate, and certainly has been for as long as i have been here which is only a few years. If i am honest in the beginning i think i was a vote monger but as my work has matured and i am comfortable with where my photography is now it is no longer important to me. Maybe it's just phases we all go through i guess

rgds
Dave

johnnyboy114
27 Apr 2010 - 5:37 PM

Yeah, I know, I shouldn't let it worry me and just be happy with what I do....and this last set, I am definitely that! Smile

dathersmith
dathersmith e2 Member 7544 forum postsdathersmith vcard England12 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2010 - 7:56 PM

OK guys, just found this thread and thought I'd join in as I'm trying my best to improve my off camera flash technique. I've put this shot in my pf so I hope you all don't mind me posting it here for comment as well.

My friends daughter in her wedding dress on a jetty on Coniston last night. We were hoping for a nice calm sunset but got cloud and wind so had to change our plan. I under exposed the background by about a stop and lit Steph with a bare speedlight on 1/4 power hidden behind the jetty post, trigerred with Pocket Wizards.

I'd love to hear your comments on this shot.

Darren.

dsc-5487-p.jpg

johnnyboy114
27 Apr 2010 - 7:59 PM

Wow! Its dramatic, will give you that! I think maybe the case as with my first upload is that there isn't quite enough light on the face and its a bit "focused"....but the sky, the idea, the lines, the look and idea are superb! I love this image! What a cracking idea and NEARLY perfection.....superb stuff!

User_Removed
27 Apr 2010 - 8:11 PM

i agree with Johnny, i think because you have lit from below you have got a little bit of heavy shadow on the side of the face and around the eye sockets. Not sure what you could've done really to soften that light Darren as there is no where else to hide the strobe. The only thing maybe would've been to put the strobe behind and above you and zoomed to 200mm and through a diffuser of some sort.

These are all minor things and there is no doubting the impact of the shot mate and it is still a top notch effort, anyway i am still learning so i am no authority on it either

rgds
Dave

dathersmith
dathersmith e2 Member 7544 forum postsdathersmith vcard England12 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2010 - 8:26 PM

Cheers guys. I accept the comment on the dark face and this is actually my second attempt for that exact reason. I then angled the strobe up as much as I could to try to get more light on Stephs face but was restricted as to where I could place the strobe. I also had a 2 stop ND Grad on for more drama in the sky so that may have encroached over Steph's face a little.

Regards

Darren.

johnnyboy114
27 Apr 2010 - 8:48 PM

Yeah, not always easy really when circumstances tend to bugger up your plans! lol! Had it a lot and had to compromise and its a bit of a pain, so we do our best. The ND grad did have a cracking effect on that sky though...love that!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.