Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Off camera flash triggers

Dave_Holdham 5 4 1 Wales
1 Jul 2010 6:51PM
Hi all
could any one help or recommend radio triggers for my Canon 580ex11 and 430ex11 Flashes. I know there are an array of cheap brands and a few more expensive ranges, which is why i donít want to make a hasty mistake. I would like TTL control but i think it would be a bit out of my price range, i was also looking at sky port triggers , the cactus V4 Radio slave set and also Interfit Strobies i Sync 4 Wireless and Optical Trigger/Receiver Set, i could go , the mind boggles, any help would be great.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
1 Jul 2010 7:08PM
Well if you want full TTL your gonna have to dig deep into the piggy bank.....Sad

Have a look on " Amazon " they seem to be selling a vast array of these things, With some useful buyer feedback too.

Wink
Dave_Holdham 5 4 1 Wales
1 Jul 2010 7:24PM
Thanks cameracat, i think i can exclude full TTL due to my pockets not being that deep,Sad i suspect it's a case of you get what you pay for, but if anyone has had good reliability with a cheap set of triggers i would be pleased to here. Smile
t_downes e2
6 277 United Kingdom
1 Jul 2010 9:50PM
Hi Dave. I use the cactus wireless triggers with my speedlites and they work well. Try you tube and type the brands in and you can make your own mind up from there.

Tony
Dave_Holdham 5 4 1 Wales
1 Jul 2010 9:59PM
Thanks Tony i will have a look Smile
wicksy 8 79 United Kingdom
1 Jul 2010 11:23PM
I have a set of triggers only just getting to grips with them but good firs impressions - They are made by phottix and came from e bay - very cheap (£30.00 ish for 3 ), and they seem to work well, (can flash from different rooms r outside building, and 100 metre range outside, but no ttl I am afraid!
Chris
Dave_Holdham 5 4 1 Wales
2 Jul 2010 6:59PM
Thanks Chris ,
they look great for the price, i have also been looking at PIXEL TR-332 Flash Wireless Trigger for Canon E-TTL II that may be a cheap alternative to pocket wizards ( around £110 ) and have ttl. Does anyone here use these?
patkelly 6 17 Ireland
4 Jul 2010 1:56AM
I would recommend the canon ST-E2 although expensive it does a great job with full TTL. You might be able to pick one up on e-Bay.
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
4 Jul 2010 9:30AM

Quote:Thanks Chris ,
they look great for the price, i have also been looking at PIXEL TR-332 Flash Wireless Trigger for Canon E-TTL II that may be a cheap alternative to pocket wizards ( around £110 ) and have ttl. Does anyone here use these?

AdeMcFade got some of these triggers, for a 5D mk1, only to find that they are only compatible with 5D mk2. They do look like quite a good/cheap alternative to Pocketwizards/RadioPoppers, but check to make sure they work with both your camera body and flash guns.
I have used the cheap ebay radio triggers from HK, with great success, with the Phottix brand(PT-04) and the RF-602 being both reliable, and having good range. They do only give you manual flash control though so you need to consider this.
kaybee 10 3.9k 24 Scotland
4 Jul 2010 10:16AM
EPZ seems to recommend these ........... a lot cheaper than Pocketwizards
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
4 Jul 2010 10:46AM

Quote:EPZ seems to recommend these ........... a lot cheaper than Pocketwizards

With all due respect Roy, the Seculine system only offers manual flash capabillities compared to FULL TTL capabilities(with additional ultra-HSS) with the PocketWizard system, hence the difference in price.
The seculine system is made in the east, and marked up as a UK product. It has less range and functionality than the RF-602 system, which is also cheaper.
steve_kershaw 9 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
4 Jul 2010 11:27AM
hi Dave
first I'm sure you know you can fire your 430 off camera with your 580 on camera with full ttl

the STE2 transmitter works well indoors but is next to useless outside, but you do get full ettl

pocket wizards are the best but very expensive,

radio poppers give full ettl, cheaper than the PWs but not sure they are available over here yet

the ebay pixel ettl triggers now have a version 2 software that is suppose to make them work better, if you search the flicker groups you will find loads of info on these,

the none ttl, RF-602 are cheap and have good feedback,
Dave_Holdham 5 4 1 Wales
4 Jul 2010 9:05PM

Quote:Thanks Chris ,

AdeMcFade got some of these triggers, for a 5D mk1, only to find that they are only compatible with 5D mk2. They do look like quite a good/cheap alternative to Pocketwizards/RadioPoppers, but check to make sure they work with both your camera body and flash guns.
I have used the cheap ebay radio triggers from HK, with great success, with the Phottix brand(PT-04) and the RF-602 being both reliable, and having good range. They do only give you manual flash control though so you need to consider this.

Thanks again Chris,
I am using the 5D MK2 so the Pixel TR-332 are compatable but as they have not been around long , they seem to have little feedback, I may just take a chance or just go for cheap manual triggers, but the way i think is if you have TTL facility why not make life easier and use it Smile
steve_kershaw 9 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
4 Jul 2010 9:18PM
I have got 6 of the new ettl Pocket Wizards, I am on about the 5th firmware upgrade, and there are still issues, PW are supposed to be the best and if they have struggled so much to get there units working with firmware upgradable products, I would be very wary of a none upgradable product, I would search the Internet before you part with your cash
Snapper_T 10 848 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2010 4:19AM
I'm also using the RF-602 triggers. I carried out a quick test at work a while ago. http://www.flickr.com/photos/34966184@N07/sets/72157622322801364/

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.