Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Off camera flash with a nikon d90

Ian White e2
12 177 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2012 8:22PM
Gents

can you please give me some advice i have a metz 44 AF-1 Flash and would like to use it off my camera, i set the camera up to use the flash as a commander but do i set the flash up as a slave unit or something else

Sorry if it's a darft question

Thanks , Ian

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lawbert e2
7 1.8k 15 England
31 Jul 2012 9:42PM
Hello Ian
Im not a nikon user but Im pretty sure to fire the metz off camera you will need a male to female hotshoe lead/cable
You can get them off ebay for very little money
Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2012 10:26PM
I don't know the Metz, but if it is dedicated to the Nikon then yes you set the flash as the slave unit and the D90 as commander. If it isn't fully dedicated then as lawbert says you'll need a cable.
timbo e2
12 592 United Kingdom
1 Aug 2012 8:56AM
I use the commander mode for my sb 800/900's and it is great. You would need to read the instructions for your metz to see if it can be used in the same way. If not then a cable or a slave cell adapter would work (you would need to switch off the pre flash if using a slave)
Taken off there website about the product :-

"Depending on the camera, the Metz 44 AF-1 also offers a slave mode, making wireless TTL flash child’s play".

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.