Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Off-site backup...

22 Nov 2008 6:57PM
Hello.

For the past few years, I've been quite happy backing up everything to DVD every so often and sending it to be looked after by a friend, just in case my house should burn down, or something like that anyway. The thing is, my collection of images has become quite unmanageably huge and backups take hundreds of DVDs to complete.

I've been looking at online backup solutions lately, such as Mozy and Carbonite . Has anyone any experience of these kinds of services? Are they reliable and easy to set going?

Thanks in advance Smile

Gary

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andytvcams e2
12 10.4k United Kingdom
22 Nov 2008 7:29PM
Ive been looking at one of these .

But it will be interesting to see if anybody has used the other services.
culturedcanvas e2
9 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2008 7:39PM
I use Western Digital drives and have done for some time. I have treid online back up services some time ago and found them problematic for my own needs. That said times move on and they may well be much improved.

I would suggest having multiple back ups in different locations though. the Office and world editions of th WD drives allow remote access to the drive from other computers which is useful.

The studio editiosn are firewrie 800 and 16MB buffer, fast and safe. Ive got a 250Gb unit for sale in the classifieds owing to upgrades. They also do a 2TB raid unit which is 2x1TB drives in one enclosure ... most useful.

I'd then suggest keeping back ups of these in another location or using a portable drive for critical work. Most of these portable drives can store 250GB min and are ideal for storing final unsharp versions at work, in the car, another property, friends or relatives etc
agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
22 Nov 2008 7:51PM

Quote:Ive been looking at one of these.

But it will be interesting to see if anybody has used the other services.

You can get other 2TB HD's for about half that price (~200) but no idea how good they are. My brother uses Carbonite, and speaks well of them, but as you'd expect now he backed everything up, he hasn't needed to test it yet! Wink
JamesBurns
6 1.3k 7
22 Nov 2008 10:50PM
The thing that bugs me with all of these off-site, over the internet backup places is that none of them will guarantee your data (at least, the one's that I've looked into won't).

You read their T's & C's, and if they delete all of your files (or a server crash takes them all out, or whatever), then their liability starts and ends with "sorry". I appreciate that if you're using them should just be one part of a layered backup strategy, but I'd like it if at least one of them would guarantee your data (or at least guarantee backups of your data) to within a specified time period.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2008 11:05PM
I have been meaning to try out bonkey which backs-up to Amazons S3 system ....which I figure is about as reliable as you can get.

I'll report back if I ever get round to trying it Smile
agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
23 Nov 2008 8:58AM

Quote:I have been meaning to try out bonkey which backs-up to Amazons S3 system....which I figure is about as reliable as you can get.

They don't seem to have confidence in it themselves! Wink
Once again, Bonkey is provided without warranties - ie all care, no responsibility: if your computer ends up as a smouldering pile of plastic, or your files end up in the Never-Never (/dev/godhelpme), don't call me.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
23 Nov 2008 11:29AM
I too use Western Digital drives - 2x500Gb in the current m/c. One for Documents and the second is a mirror of the first using a product called Allway Synch. I have seen WD 1Tb drives for 90 recently so the storage space cost is minimal Andy and like Frank, I would council other h/w solutions other that the Acer you show there... Networking the drives in an external case is easily achieved for not a lot more than the cost of the drives themselves.
23 Nov 2008 1:38PM

Quote:I have been meaning to try out bonkey which backs-up to Amazons S3 system....which I figure is about as reliable as you can get.

I'll report back if I ever get round to trying it

This looks interesting. Cheers!

The problem with backing up to drives as that they aren't off site, unless I physically take them there, or use them over a network. If my house were to burn down, or if I were to get robbed blind, I'd lose all my images. Plus I have over 2TB to back up.
lobsterboy e2
23 Nov 2008 1:46PM

Quote:They don't seem to have confidence in it themselves!
Once again, Bonkey is provided without warranties - ie all care, no responsibility: if your computer ends up as a smouldering pile of plastic, or your files end up in the Never-Never (/dev/godhelpme), don't call me.

I was refering to Amazon & S3, Bonkey is just an app that uses S3. AFAICS Amazons infrastructure must be one of the most reliable out there.
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
23 Nov 2008 2:34PM

Quote:The thing that bugs me with all of these off-site, over the internet backup places is that none of them will guarantee your data (at least, the one's that I've looked into won't).

Of course they can't make any guarantees. They're far too worried about the possibility of lawsuits.

If you have a sensible backup strategy, it shouldn't matter. And if your house burns down and the offsite storage is your only recourse then I would suggest whether your images are safely backed up or not would be the last thing on your mind.
23 Nov 2008 4:45PM
You could always invest in a fireproof safe. That way you don't have to take your drivews off site - just carry them a few feet!
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2008 5:39PM
I use Carbonite in addition to backing up to external drives. If they lose my stuff it is only a problem if it coincides with our house burning down.

Ian
lobsterboy e2
23 Nov 2008 5:43PM

Quote:You could always invest in a fireproof safe. That way you don't have to take your drivews off site - just carry them a few feet!

Not so good - the safe actually has to be heatporof too, otherwise your backups will melt. Happened to a company I worked for once.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.