Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Oh dear, I'm in the EPZ sin bin!

Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
22 Nov 2009 11:00PM
James,

I took part in that thread and didn't make a comment until many others had gone before me. I looked long and hard at the image and read what others, including the 'pompous one' (your description, certainly not mine) had had to say.
I then admitted that much of what had been said had gone over my head but it had set me thinking and since then I've come to look at critique/clicks in a very different light.
On the face of it, it is a pretty ordinary image but taken and used as it was intended it becomes an extremely worthwhile tool. A lot of people became involved in a discussion that they (and I) would never otherwise have entered into and as a result, many of us, myself included, came away a little richer, having learned something of value.

Jester.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 12 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2009 11:06PM
James, don't worry mate, you're not alone.
I've even been called a bully because I told the truth...lol.
I know exactly how you feel James. They ask for your opinion and when you give it, they throw it back in your face along with the above insult.
As I've said before, this 'site' is made up of photographers......and people with cameras. So I would imagine this sort of thing will always be here. I also think the reason for some missunderstanding might be because there's no feeling or mood in a text and can sometimes be read differently to how it was written.
It's a shame but that's life.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
22 Nov 2009 11:26PM

Quote:I also think the reason for some missunderstanding might be because there's no feeling or mood in a text and can sometimes be read differently to how it was written.

Very true, and it has caused squabbles in the past.

In this instance though, if you read the first comment you get the message, albeit very aggressively, but then just going on and on again... not really cricket.

This line made me laugh...

Quote:There seems to be a growing tendency on epz to over-analyse pix in the galleries

it's a photo in the Critique gallery.... and in a group called "DISCUSSION GROUP" FFS!

What do you expect? 90 "nice pic" comments?

Love or hate the shot, saying things like " And the picture? It's rubbish." doesn't do anything other than annoy people - which you managed to do very well.

Congratulations.
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2009 11:29PM
its all well and good being honest if thats the way its intended, but even the harshest of critisism can be sugar coated and if it is, its a lot easier to swallow.
i think the best approach is to just take a second and think how would i feel if some abrubt and harsh comment was placed on a picture of mine.
i am happy to take any critisism if its constructive, but abrubtness and opinion without a justification has no place on any site and usually comes from those who are unable to express a meaningful critique.
Phil
SuziBlue 12 16.2k 10 Scotland
22 Nov 2009 11:39PM
James clearly didn't read the description. It's a critical discussion. Analysis of a subjective response. The quality of the image wasn't part of that. It's nothing to do with any of the posters feeling superior to anyone else - this is simply a different way of analysing images.

If someone finds that kind of discussion isn't their thing then why are they bothering to join in, disrupting it and making abusive comments.

Anyway. Interesting exercise, riprap.
James_G 7 166 5
22 Nov 2009 11:42PM
Pete,
I understand what you're saying and as I said in my message to you I think EPZ is a great site, much better than any of the other photo sites. But I still think that people like me (ie. individuals, not members of click cliques) have a right to express an opinion. I am genuinely hurt that I am not allowed to do that without getting abused for doing so.
By all means, let's have more criticism and debate on the site, but I think even the click cliques should be prepared to take the brickbats as well as the bouquets!!

James
irishman 10 1.1k 2 Ireland
22 Nov 2009 11:44PM
Yeah but it was also in the critique gallery and if you were just to start reading the comments, you may have seem where James was coming from ( does not mean you can say its rubbish, I've would have put it more more polite Wink )
22 Nov 2009 11:45PM
James nobody abused you. Riprap's response to you was adult and controlled, and he politely asked you not to take part in the critical discussion if you were going to be so negative.

Neither was it a click clique as you call it. It was a critical discussion, a different way of interpreting an image Not about the quality of the image.
irishman 10 1.1k 2 Ireland
22 Nov 2009 11:46PM

Quote:I am genuinely hurt that I am not allowed to do that without getting abused for doing so

James, if you are willing to give it, you must be willing to take it too Smile
22 Nov 2009 11:49PM
Irishman, James was not abused in that thread. However ..

Quote:
but the OP was so pompous and so full of phoney intellectualism, I couldn't resist! And his pic was rubbish.

... James sees no problem in continuing to be abusive in this thread.
James_G 7 166 5
22 Nov 2009 11:50PM
OK. Let's be honest here. The point about the bluntness of my message was because of everything that had gone before it. I would never be so blunt about someone's genuine pic that they had posted on the site. But someone who sets himself up to be better than all of the rest of us...I'm sorry but he deserves it. The picture was rubbish, the discussion laughable.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
22 Nov 2009 11:51PM

Quote:(ie. individuals, not members of click cliques)

Ah the irony - clicks are disabled in the Critique Gallery...

I see you've not bothered reading Dale Carnegie's "How To Win Friends and Influence People" Wink

Complaining about that thread as you persist in doing is a bit like going to a pub and complaining that they sell booze and people get drunk... can't you see that?
James_G 7 166 5
22 Nov 2009 11:55PM
Ade, you misunderstand. The reason I trod on a landmine was that I had the temerity to criticise the work of someone in a click clique. That way danger lies..
James.
stevekhart 8 4.5k 3 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2009 11:56PM

Quote:you haven't been banned
B*gger, that was a mistake! Smile
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
22 Nov 2009 11:56PM

Quote:I'm sorry but he deserves it. The picture was rubbish, the discussion laughable.

In your eyes...and you made your point clearly...why carry on about it? What outcome are you wanting?

Quote:a click clique.

It was not a click clique!!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.