Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Oh right! He's stepped aside....

jondf 8 2.7k
22 Oct 2012 9:49PM
Don't high ranking officials in ivory towers....er, sorry.....organisations, usually 'step down' from their exalted positions? Not so in this case it seems. If a whirlwind IS sweeping through the bbc, the term 'swept aside' might have been more appropriate. Could it be that many are those who're running scared at the prospect of any inquiry outcome?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-20024904

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
23 Oct 2012 12:14AM
Too fearful about who else in high places, and still living, may be exposed............ just maybe.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
23 Oct 2012 12:26AM
There are some very interesting rumours going about personalities both alive and dead that we're / are in VERY high places. One in particular about a very prominent politician in the 70's.
AlanPerkins 9 484 England
23 Oct 2012 9:46AM

Quote:There are some very interesting rumours going about personalities both alive and dead that we're / are in VERY high places. One in particular about a very prominent politician in the 70's.

I saw some of those allegations - specifically about a former prime minister (now dead). I do wonder what he knew about people that they let him carry on like that.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
23 Oct 2012 12:35PM
Why was nothing said or done when some of these people were alive?

It almost beggars belief that the media were too terrified of libel action. Maybe high-ups in media organisations had a few cupboard skeletons of their own?
23 Oct 2012 12:39PM
Your TV License at work...
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
23 Oct 2012 12:54PM

Quote:Your TV License at work...

Yes, but it wasn't only the BBC. The other TV organisations, newspapers etc seem to have all be aware, to some degree, of untoward behaviour. Surely it would have made a fantastic story?

One would like to think high-profile people these days - with camera phones, and the like, recording every move - would never get away with such things. But we can't be sure...............
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
23 Oct 2012 1:02PM
In the 70's, the GTO girls were a famous collective of groupies doing the rounds in the USA. Their 'conquests' are well recorded in several books on the Super Groups and Rock Stars of the era. Some of them were as young as 14 (if not younger on a few occasions).

I don't recall any real major national outrage as yet.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
23 Oct 2012 1:08PM
Not just the US - was it Mandy Smith? with Bill Wyman
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
23 Oct 2012 1:13PM

Quote:Their 'conquests' are well recorded in several books on the Super Groups and Rock Stars of the era. Some of them were as young as 14 (if not younger on a few occasions).

I imagine for the people like Jimmy Saville it was the norm for that kind of "backstage activity" to occur in that era. I have a feeling many big rock star names are going to come out in the not too distant future and I suspect a lot of people are currently feeling very nervous! - Sex and Drugs and Rock n Roll.
pcheywood 9 1.3k England
23 Oct 2012 4:39PM
The Beeb is not, and has not been fit for purpose for a long time, and to be forced by law to pay its existance is almost criminal !
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
23 Oct 2012 7:05PM
In what way is the beeb 'not fit for purpose'. It sounds a grand phrase, usually trotted out by people who object to the TV licence (not the same thing), but I have yet to work out what people mean when they say it.
macroman 11 15.3k England
23 Oct 2012 8:12PM
At present everything is understandably being directed towards the BBC, I wonder if everyone in the commercial TV companies are sleeping peacefully?

Quote:......forced by law to pay its existance is almost criminal !...

Similar to being forced to pay for commercial TV even if you don't own a TV set. Smile
jondf 8 2.7k
25 Oct 2012 7:11PM
[Quote] I imagine for the people like Jimmy Saville it was the norm for that kind of "backstage activity" to occur in that era. I have a feeling many big rock star names are going to come out in the not too distant future and I suspect a lot of people are currently feeling very nervous! - Sex and Drugs and Rock n Roll

One can only guess at what was and likely still is available to the so-called big names, not just in the music business but in all walks of life. Yet this particular occurrence is made all the more astonishing because of what the supposed perpetrator stood for and was supposed to represent. If it did happen, it seems very likely that others, if not party to it, were at least aware of what was going on. As said earlier, there'll be those going in fear of a public inquiry's findings.
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
25 Oct 2012 7:27PM

Quote:One can only guess at what was and likely still is available to the so-called big names, not just in the music business but in all walks of life. Yet this particular occurrence is made all the more astonishing because of what the supposed perpetrator stood for and was supposed to represent

too true, as I know from my own childhood. You only have to look back over the years at the scandals involving senior members of the clergy( (of all denominations, in my case over 60 years ago it was the Baptists - god damn them) Politicians, Scout and Boys Brigade leaders etc, anywhere that there is power associated with status and position there will be corruption and sexual deviance, with defenceless children prime targets.

Worse still, even to this day the system is biased against the victims and in favour of the perpetrators because that goes with " power associated with status and position".

It never ceases to sicken me the way in which, when a story finally breaks, all those in power fall over themselves to proclaim how shocked they are and how they never imagined how such a thing could happen. Its always been the same and always will.

Power Corrupts and no amount of press outrage, public enquiries and the like will ever change this.

Its not just a UK thing by the way, many other societies are even worse, its just we are so damned hypocritical about it and keep on being "Suprised and shocked" when it, once again, becomes undeniable

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.