Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Ohhh the torment !!!! .

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    SimPick
    SimPick  8545 forum posts Azerbaijan2 Constructive Critique Points
    1 May 2011 - 7:05 PM

Hi all,

One of those happy weekends for me, that all photographerss love. A new camera !! But what hell it was buyng it.
    I already have the half-tonne rucksack of DSLR gear and all the bits, but have been searching the last weeks for a decent new compact. My real objective and needs were clear in my head, but as a keen amateur photographer it's so damn hard not to be swayed by the many lovely, enticing, naughty, dirty, evil compacts on the market. I basicallly really needed/wanted a shirt pocket camera for those afternoons in the park wth the kids, BBQ's with friends, pics for use on eBay, days out with kids at the Zoo, etc etc etc.... Nothing too taxing really, and a camera that I could carry with me easily in a shirt pocket with no fuss, decent image quality and didn't cost a lot. With these kinds of pics I also don't want to be bothered post processing and all the rest. So, yesterday I set off for the store, firmly repeating to myself in the head many many times over - "I WILL NOT buy a Lumix LX5, I WILL NOT buy a Olympus XZ-1, I WILL NOT buy a Canon G12, I WILL NOT buy a Lumix GF2, I WILL NOT buy an Olympus PEN2". So after spending ages stood there in the shop drooling over the LX5, XZ-1, G12 and GF2, I knew it had to be the Nikon P300 for price and size, but I couldn't do it. I couldn't bring myself to take one and go an pay. I stood there for ages with my brain screaming at me "You want the LX5. You know you do. What are you doing you complete idiot ?". Anyway, somehow I managed to tear myself away with a new boxed P300 and get to the checkout without incident and pay. And after two days with it hardly out of my hand I have to say what a cracking little camera it is for my needs. Taken about 200 shots since yesterday afternoon, and today the images exceeded all my expectations, and last night in the house the low-light performance was outstanding - without flash. The 1080p video isn't shabby either. For what I paid I feel like I stole it !! It's my very first Nikon purchase as I have been a lifelong Canonite, but I have to say I am mightily impressed by the P300. Lovely little camera for anyone who has a basic simple need for a compact like mine.

Have to say though, I have already started thinking of when/if I go back and also get that LX5 or XZ-1.

Simon.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 May 2011 - 7:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

steve_p
    steve_p  81073 forum posts United Kingdom
    1 May 2011 - 7:45 PM

Couldnt agree more- I agonised for 2 weeks over buying a Lumix G2. I finally bought it in March and I am very impressed with it! But due to a severe financial occurence which was totally unforseen I now have to sell it . It just fell outside Jessops 30 day return period so I have to take a loss to sell it and carry on using my trusty Ixus! I regret having to do it but needs must!

jondf
    jondf  72472 forum posts
    24 May 2011 - 1:43 PM

Quote: Have to say though, I have already started thinking of when/if I go back and also get that LX5....

Don't know anything about the P300 but the LX5 I can recommend. As is usually the case though, it's horses for courses. The LX5 produces nice, bright, sharp images that at first glance have a kind of dslr look about them. However, there's no substitute for a big sensor dslr particularly when it's coupled up to L glass. But I guess you know that already. How's it going with the 50D these days?

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.