Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

ok how does it work here ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
BreadandShutter
18 May 2009 - 10:43 PM

Hi my 1st post on epz forum
Have been on here for about 3 months and a fully paid up member,and have been trying to help some new to the game photographers improve their photography skills as friends.Some of their images are starting to improve and its lovely to see this.
yet when posted they get hardly any votes or " not very helpful critque "
It seems to me to me as a guy that "shoots" for a living that its all about being in the "right click or gang" not about the work or quality of the posted photograph, so i know this......
its (imho) not about the quality of the shot that gets you votes
its mainly the subjets
It seems (imho) that if you spend all day clicking and voting you sometimes get them back
It also seems this is true as epz folk have said that it takes ages for people to start voting and stuff on you ....why ?????
If a shot is appealing and technically good why not vot or leave comment , i dont get that Sad
It seems that this is a lovely friendly site the people who iv made contact with are amazing people and some amazing photographers.
Thanks for taking the time to read this i know we all have busy lifes but it has been on my mind.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 May 2009 - 10:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

DizzyMeee
DizzyMeee  4 United Kingdom
18 May 2009 - 10:51 PM

Hiya im new here so cant comment on what here is like but i toatally get where your comming from in a way if people are gonna click links its nice to give comments if you like it say so dont just think it.Its nice to be on the recievein end on comments when you are new..trust me im 1 of them. x

Overread
Overread  53745 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
18 May 2009 - 10:54 PM

What your encountering is differing uses in the community - some use the site as a showcase - some for votes - some for improvement - some for something to do during work.
Some choose not to post images and just use the forum - others choose the other way around.

As for votes I am sure one reason many don't comment and vote on every shot they like is because they don't seem them all - - the site gets a lot of uploads a day and one needs a serious amount of time to view them all.

That is why getting attention (voting on others work - talking to others etc...) is part of "getting" votes - its not so much to do with ones photography - its to do with getting people to actually look at your work in the first place. And then of course communicating what you are after in the shots as well - are you after critique or just votes or views and opinions/

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
18 May 2009 - 11:31 PM

I used to get pretty angry with the "votes have no relation to image quality" trend on EPZ, but now I've come to terms with it and just throw the odd cliche shot in now and then (see todays post for an example) when I fancy an RC - works most times Wink

To get to a point where you can get an RC like that does take a lot of "activity" on the site, and Overread pointed out most of them - forums, networking, commenting on people's stuff etc.

However, if you post truly outstanding work, it will get recognised - some bloke's not been on the site much and has lots of HC's, a few EC's and a POTW. He gets a lot of votes now too.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1215507 forum posts England
19 May 2009 - 8:29 AM

Quote: It seems (imho) that if you spend all day clicking and voting you sometimes get them back

LOL - It took you 3 months to figure that out ?

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2009 - 8:35 AM

What you thought are right.
However, as Ade mentioned, if it is quality work, you will always get votes / recognitions from people who appreciate it.
Remember, it is not the quantity, but the quality of people who vote on them thats important.

redstag
redstag e2 Member 8100 forum postsredstag vcard United Kingdom14 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2009 - 9:45 AM

It does take time to build a following of people who admire your work. For myself, I use EPZ for two things, firstly to ask people whose work I like how they do it, and with a few notable exceptions, most people are delighted to share their techniques the second is as a basis for insperation. So having looked at your PF, I'm off to fill the bath up to drown my wife! (All in the name of art).

Keep the faith-you get as much from EPZ as you put in, whether that's advice, comments or clicks, the great thing is you can choose how you want to use it.

Jon

User_Removed
19 May 2009 - 9:55 AM

I thought Phil's recent post on the matter summed it up very well in a subtle, understated sort of way

NEWMANP, top of page

roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2009 - 10:08 AM

The gallery can be a lot like food, everyone appreciates Wagyu beef but plenty of people still lap-up mince!

EmzLou1980
19 May 2009 - 10:13 AM

I've seen allot of these conversations, the general consensus does seem to be what Overread said Smile

I had a 'discusion' last night about not conforming LOL

BreadandShutter
19 May 2009 - 10:14 AM

its funny i upoaded a uw shot of a lady in green and only got 3 votes up untill very recently now it has risen to 6 !!! this shot has sold around the world mainy times
so as a test shot a urinal at work with a mobile phone and that got 4 instantly

guess iv got to spend all summer clicking and voting and saying things like " great tones " nice mono " " lovely dof"
that kind of sums up the voting system here for me
but thanks for all your comments its certainly an eye opener on here

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2009 - 10:22 AM

Quote: guess iv got to spend all summer clicking and voting and saying things like " great tones " nice mono " " lovely dof"

Probably better if you spent the same time giving honest comments, you get "known" that way, and you add to the site.

if you just "fish" by saying "like the colours and tones in this", then no one benefits.... except the poster who gets loving responses.

so yes - spend all summer commenting, but try and point out an improvement area or say something that's specific to a shot (i.e. something that indicates that you've looked at a shot, rather than generic)

EmzLou1980
19 May 2009 - 10:28 AM

its what I try very very hard to do, but I was taught that in art gcse so many years ago, when you like art, explain why you like it if you can, or what your feelings are, but then sometimes its difficult to word the thoughts you have on art, and Photography IS art! Smile

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2009 - 10:33 AM

Saleable doesn't mean quality; at least it doesn't mean I will like it. I have seen lots of so called saleable photos from pro photographers, and I think they are cr*p.

As Ade said, it is better to leave constructive comments and critiques, rather than giving comments just to fish for votes.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 19 May 2009 - 10:33 AM
mcgannc
mcgannc  5389 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2009 - 10:48 AM

From a personal point of view, I'm one of the ones probably guilty of too many 'Nice colours/comp/mono' type comments. However, this is mainly due to being relatively new to photography - and for that matter, anything remotely creative - so it is a massive learning curve to understand what is the 'right' thing to say.

If these throw-away statements change over time to more constructive and concise statements then that to me is a measure of my learning.

I just love getting inspired by the work that I see on here and believe that is what makes this site so good, and the majority of people seem to be very open to providing help when you ask for it.

Just my thoughts anyhoo...

Chris

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.