Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Ok I've gotta make the jump to a TFT. Need some advice

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    fishiee
    fishiee e2 Member 10468 forum postsfishiee vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    28 May 2007 - 9:09 AM

Hi,

Seeing as my CRT is liable to explode at any minute I've gotta start seriously looking at TFT Monitors.

Now my problem begins... every TFT I have had experience of is absolutely SH*T when displaying photos. What is a lovely smooth blurred background on a CRT comes out looking like REALLY bad noise on a TFT in a side by side comparison I did the other day with a couple of machines at work. Admittedly I've not used anything more than 'budget' TFT's in the past.

I've had a bit of a search on various forums and a couple of TFT's get good comments but having never seen a decent TFT in a shop anywhere (Well at least I hope I've not been looking at decent ones!) I'd appreciate some opinions from people here.

The 2 I'm currently considering are:

Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP - this one sounded the bees knees until I read about the next one...

NEC MultiSync® LCD20WGX2

I currently have a 17" CRT so am looking for something larger. I've read that wide screen is the way to go for photo editing these days. I am presuming that a 20" TFT as going to have the same diagonal size as a 20" CRT (I realise for a CRT it's tube size not visible screen size but it's about the same) and a wide screen 20" is the size of a 20" standard display with a bit extras on the sides?

The dell is a 24" as apposed to the NEC's 20.1" and has a nice feature in that you can rotate the screen for portrait/landscape images. The NEC is meant to have fantastic image quality but is a little smaller.

Basically I want a quality image and am open to other suggestions. Don't really want to spend more than £500 if I can help it.

Also, if someone knows somewhere in the south that actually has these things on display that I can go and have a look at them that would be fantastic!

I should add that it's going to be plugged into a 320MB NVidia 8800GTS video card which should handle anything like this I'd have thought. Best mention it though in case I need something bigger for these kind of resolutions in which case I'll have to stick another the same alongside it!

Last Modified By fishiee at 28 May 2007 - 9:12 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 May 2007 - 9:09 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Boyd
    Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
    28 May 2007 - 9:55 AM

You won't regret buying the Dell 2407WFP - under £500 here.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    28 May 2007 - 10:00 AM

If your priority is image quality, You should really check out " Eizo TFT monitors " a no compromise Rolls Royce of the breed.

They are probably one of the few brands that will come close to OR match a derious CRT.

Smile

Edit, Whooops Boyd beat me to it, Yep the Dell is great for the money, But Eizo will thrash it on quality Smile

Last Modified By cameracat at 28 May 2007 - 10:03 AM
    Boyd
    Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
    28 May 2007 - 10:02 AM

You'll be lucky to find an Eizo for £500.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    28 May 2007 - 10:04 AM

Quote: You'll be lucky to find an Eizo for £500.

True very true, But worth robbing a piggy bank for (LOL) Smile

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1022998 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    28 May 2007 - 10:12 AM

Quote: But Eizo will thrash it on quality

It will beat it - but it won't thrash it...I have both

fishiee
    fishiee e2 Member 10468 forum postsfishiee vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    29 May 2007 - 12:01 AM

Thanks for the advice. The Ezio is a lkittle out of my price range (Looks to be about a grand?) so the Dell it is when I have the money...

Boyd, Thanks for the link. I had already spotted it on Overclockers which is where I purchased all the components to build my new system Smile

Krakman
    Krakman  73615 forum posts Scotland
    29 May 2007 - 1:25 AM

My Eizo cost about £250 and is absolutely excellent. But then I decided to sacrifice size for quality by going for just a 17".

Most TFTs seem to be terrible at highlight and shadow detail, and also look fuzzy and distorted colours when viewed alongside the Eizo. One or two Samsungs I lokoed at also seemed not bad, though not as good as the Eizo, and a similarish price, a lot depends what generation technology they are using in the display. Its worth going to a superstore where the same image is being displayed on dozens of them side by side, and the difference becomes very obvious.

Before that I had a widescreen monitor where I found the extra width fairly useless - portrait format images appeared tiny on it. Likewise editing Word documents on such a screen is difficult - what you need is vertical height. Maybe that's overcome by the rotating screen you mention, though I suspect that in practise rotating it would be do much of a faff to do constantly as you flick from image to image. The Eizo had the most square proportions and therefore, for me, made the best use of its diagonal dimension.

Anyway, that's just my view, I'm sure other will disagree,

Last Modified By Krakman at 29 May 2007 - 1:28 AM
    fishiee
    29 May 2007 - 8:23 AM

Hm... ok I've had a more thorough look at the Ezio range and they have a few within my range at warehouse express.

Either of the FlexScan models or the ColorEdge CE210W. Anyone have any experience of these?

Also, when I read about native resolution, is that the max res these things can support? I always run my monitors at the highest they can support. These native resolution figures don't seem that high for their size compared to my CRT.

Sabreur
    Sabreur  9767 forum posts England
    29 May 2007 - 8:31 AM

You will get the sharpest image running a TFT at its native resolution. Going for a higher resolution will blur the image as more effective pixels are squeezed into the same number of physical ones.

fishiee
    29 May 2007 - 8:47 AM

ah ok got it. That's fair enough. With CRT's the higher the res the better the image. If that's how best to run a TFT then that's fine. Cheers for the info Smile

fishiee
    21 Aug 2007 - 10:44 PM

Ok I've finally got to the position where I'm gonna buy. Was going to get the Dell 24" tomorrow (2407WFP) but now see they have just released the HC model(2407WFP-HC). Does anyone have one of these? (only been available for about a week reading on the net)

Besides the image going all wonky it now regularly has a nasty shade of yellow added to it on my almost dead CRT! Tomorrow I wanna buy one of the Dell's but can't decide which one!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.