Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Ok to delete xmp files?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    SosFM
    SosFM  580 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Sep 2010 - 5:12 PM

Whilst I understand that an xmp file is a kind of sidecar file when converting a RAW and saving it as a tif, what I do not understand is do you need to keep it? I am processing some shots that I took at a blessing and converting them all to tifs. Everyone creates an xmp file. I am just conscious of storage space and aware that I have 3 files for every image; a RAW, an xmp and a tif. My question is, am I safe to delete all these xmp files or will it affect the tifs in some way?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Sep 2010 - 5:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    26 Sep 2010 - 5:23 PM

Deleting the xmp file will not affect the TIFF file derived from the RAW conversion. xmp file take up negligible disc space and their generation depends on how you have your software setup. Some allow you to not generate xmp files and embed the data directly into the file.

If you are storing your RAW files in a cataloging system and have chosen to use xmp files - and need to refer to the file again in the future - then you will lose that information until the next time the RAW file is opened and you begin another post-production session on that particular file Soren in which case a new xmp file will be generated.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 26 Sep 2010 - 5:27 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    chris.maddock
    26 Sep 2010 - 5:24 PM

I think the xmp files save the conversion settings, in case you want to convert the image again. Rawshooter does this too, just using rws files for the info, I do archive them with my RAWs but probably don't need to.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Overread
    Overread  53745 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Sep 2010 - 5:27 PM

The xmp files just contain the values that you set in the RAW converter so that when you open the RAW next time the software can read the xmp file and give you the exact same settings that you saved the last time you edited that RAW. This way the RAW file itself is not changed nor edited so the data remains intact.

Also next to a TIFF And a RAW an xmp is a tiny file that won't really have a large effect on your storage space. I would keep the xmp incase you do ever need to rework a shot - it at least gives you what you got the first time around as a starting point

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    SosFM
    SosFM  580 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Sep 2010 - 5:43 PM

Thats great thanks for that guys. I understand where you are coming from. I had noticed that when I reopen a RAW file that was previously converted it goes straight to the previous settings in the RAW converter.Grin

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013936 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Sep 2010 - 5:47 PM

Quote: Also next to a TIFF And a RAW an xmp is a tiny file that won't really have a large effect on your storage space.

Indeed - I just ran windirstat on my archive. Raw files take up 206GB whereas all the associated XMPs add up to 54mb. That means that deleting one tiff file will save me the equivalent of deleting 12,000 XMP files!

chris.maddock
    26 Sep 2010 - 8:52 PM

Quote: Also next to a TIFF And a RAW an xmp is a tiny file that won't really have a large effect on your storage space.

Indeed - I just ran windirstat on my archive. Raw files take up 206GB whereas all the associated XMPs add up to 54mb. That means that deleting one tiff file will save me the equivalent of deleting 12,000 XMP files!

That does actually depend on your storage system - if each xmp file is a lot smaller than your disk cluster size it can be very wasteful since only one file can occupy one cluster.
    eg, if an xmp file is 2Kb but your cluster size is 32Kb each xmp file will actually occupy 32Kb of space even if it's reported as being 2Kb.

This is less of a problem with larger files since they will occupy more than one cluster, only the last one of which will be only partially occupied.

Last Modified By chris.maddock at 26 Sep 2010 - 8:53 PM
    lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013936 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Sep 2010 - 9:42 PM

Quote: if an xmp file is 2Kb but your cluster size is 32Kb each xmp file will actually occupy 32Kb of space even if it's reported as being 2Kb.

In that case 12,000 xmp files are the equivalent of 16 tiffs Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.