Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Old Habits Anyone?

SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
1 Jun 2011 3:05PM
I don't know how you all take photographs, but I find that I can't shake off some old habits learned years and years ago when using film. A couple of things I do that I know I do but can't seem to stop doing are cropping too close when actually taking the picture, and only snapping one or two versions of the same scene. I can't think of the number of times I've got home and wished I'd taken versions from different angles and using different settings, and/or zoomed out that little bit more to allow for cropping and composition etc.

Obviously film, developing and printing was very expensive and we always strove to get the shot correct first or second time. I know it's still good to get in close, but leaving a little bit of leeway is always adviseable too. I think I need a good talking to.

Anyone else have trouble shaking off old methods of working?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2011 3:11PM
I have that habit, as well and I gyuess for the same reason.
I also tend to go for slight underexposure to improve saturation.
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
1 Jun 2011 4:14PM
Keeping a UV filter over my lenses "for protection".

UV has no beneficial optical effect on digital, any filter over the lens degrades image quality to some (hopefully small, most of the time) extent, unless I am using a slot-in filter holder, I always have a lens hood fitted and, most of all, in over half a century of photography, I have never suffered from a scratched filter. Yet I still keep one on.
franken e2
12 3.2k 4 Wales
1 Jun 2011 4:23PM
When I first started using digital I can remember turning my back to the sun when I changed the memory card! Grin

Ken
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
1 Jun 2011 4:24PM

Quote:Old Habits Anyone

Fire and forget, I never review the image I`ve just taken, guess its a throw back from the film days when you had no way of checking what you had just taken.

Also shooting through cling film or tights for effect, these days its probably simpler in Photoshop but I draw the line at vaseline, always hated trying to clean this off filters once I had finished Smile
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
1 Jun 2011 4:31PM
Lots of old memories flooding back here. I think we've probably done, or still do, all of the above at some time or another.
The prize so far goes to Ken though. What a Plod! Grin
HouseMartin 5 193 1 England
1 Jun 2011 5:41PM
Yep memories indeed. I think I am guilty of all of the above (except Ken's Smile). What I did do on most of the stuff I shot with my first dslr was have the iso set at 125 cos it reminded me of FP4, and I knew the settings that went with it. I think it was also cos it didn't even cross my mind to change ISO 'mid roll' so as to speak!

Paul
66tricky 8 742 Scotland
1 Jun 2011 5:47PM

Quote:
Also shooting through cling film or tights for effect, these days its probably simpler in Photoshop but I draw the line at vaseline, always hated trying to clean this off filters once I had finished Smile

Must be a squeeze getting the camera into the tights mind and you surely get funny looks being trouserless with a camera down them.
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
1 Jun 2011 8:21PM

Quote: and you surely get funny looks being trouserless with a camera down them.

Not such funny looks as you would have got posing your model and then taking out a tub of Vaseline!

At least Paul applied it to a filter and not directly on to the lens as the old pros used to do.

Wink
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
1 Jun 2011 9:08PM

Quote:When I first started using digital I can remember turning my back to the sun when I changed the memory card!

Bang on - and...

Having got into digital (and after many years of both mediums) - and getting the film body out and taken that first frame... STILL catching yourself in the initial physical movement to 'Chimp'!!
tomcat e2
9 6.0k 15 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2011 9:18PM

Quote:Old Habits Anyone?

Our local nunnery is closing downGrinWink
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
1 Jun 2011 9:34PM

Quote:STILL catching yourself in the initial physical movement to 'Chimp'!!
I still miss that lever. So satisfying.
Smile
thewilliam 6 4.7k
4 Jun 2011 11:18PM
I still turn my back to the sun when changing CF cards. We don't want to risk fogging them, do we?
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
5 Jun 2011 12:28AM
I still think I have a roll of 36 in my camera and shoot accordingly............. no 'machine-gunning' for me! Wink
Every time I open a box of inkjet photo paper in the daylight a sudden chill of alarm goes through my body. Even after all this time! Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.