Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Old lenses again... help?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3601 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
19 Jan 2013 - 8:31 PM

Hi,

I picked up a number of old lenses that I'll be using with the OM-D E-M5, they only cost £5 each so I thought I may as well Grin (Thanks to HarrisonCameras annual sale!) - I got:

Minolta MC ROKKOR-PF 58mm f/1.4 - and have ordered an adapter for m43
Olympus Zuiko OM 50mm f/1.4 - already have an adapter (I also picked up an Olympus OM-1 for either £5 or £10 - not sure)
Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/3.5-4 OM fit
Tamron 300mm f/5.6 Adaptall
Tamron 28mm f/2.5 Adaptall (picked up an adaptall to OM adapter)

and a Sigma Minitel YS 200mm f/4 which came with a YS - KE adapter... and this is where I'm stumped, I have checked ebay and I can find an expensive Sigma YS to OM adapter (£25!!) but not KE adapters, which I thought might be more common. The thread is the same size as m42, but finer, so my m42 to 43rds adapter wont work.

Any suggestions?

I also picked up an Olympus XA, XA-1, and XA-2, each with a different lens (f/2.8, f/3.5, and f/4), as well as an Olympus Trip 35, oh and a GX1 keyring model Grin

Some of the cameras have film left in so it'll be interesting if anything turns out!

Cheers,

Josh

PS - this is posted in the EVIL/CSC/M4/3 Users Group, and replying will automatically make you a member of the group, but please feel free to help if you can Smile

Last Modified By joshwa at 19 Jan 2013 - 8:32 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Jan 2013 - 8:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2013 - 8:46 PM

Wow the Tamron 300mm is a real bargain is it Adaptall I or II model

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315199 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2013 - 8:53 PM

What made you pick up a 58mm and a 50mm f1.4, are you planing on opening your own shop Smile

I don`t bother with legacy zooms or anything telephoto over 200mm, optically legacy zooms are no better than the small modern kit zooms I find all they do as add weight and bulk, the same for large telephotos.

Vivitar series 1 primes are worth keeping if you can find them.

I was looking at another Olympus 35SP the other day, Oxfam wanted £50 for it, the other I got from them only cost me £3.99 three years ago Smile

The trips are fun with a truly fantastic lens.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 19 Jan 2013 - 8:58 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014686 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2013 - 8:54 PM

Looks like you'll be having a bit of fun, for awhile anyway, Josh.Smile Good for you.

I believe, as Pete said some time ago, it's not that you're going to get better IQ, it's that each lens has its own character.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 19 Jan 2013 - 8:57 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315199 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2013 - 9:06 PM

Why not adds some test pictures taken with each lens and add them here like I have don Josh.

http://www.ephotozine.com/groups/evil-csc-m4-3-users-and-meets-764/photos/legacy...
http://www.ephotozine.com/groups/evil-csc-m4-3-users-and-meets-764/photos/legacy...

joshwa
19 Jan 2013 - 11:04 PM

Quote: Wow the Tamron 300mm is a real bargain is it Adaptall I or II model

The 300mm is Adaptall 1 ("BBAR") I'm guessing as it doesn't say Adaptall 2 like the 28mm - but they both work with the one adapter, is that normal?

Why buy a 50mm and a 58mm, well, the Rokkor 58mm has a rather nice look to it, and I've heard good things about them Smile

Also I would prefer primes as well, if I can get this Sigma YS 200mm connected properly then I should have a nice range of primes to choose from:

Tamron 28mm f/2.5, Olympus 50mm f/1.4, Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.4, Olympus 135mm f/2.8/3.5?, 200mm Sigma, 300mm Tamron amongst others.

Currently uploading shots here:
http://www.ephotozine.com/groups/evil-csc-m4-3-users-and-meets-764/photos/tamron...

pablophotographer

I was looking to find the second hand locus in their website the other day, I thought they had got rid of all the stock they had, now I am sure, lol...

you don't mention the Leica R3 they had though..... is therany e hope?

Paul Morgan
20 Jan 2013 - 2:02 AM

Quote: The 300mm is Adaptall 1 ("BBAR") I'm guessing as it doesn't say Adaptall 2 like the 28mm - but they both work with the one adapter, is that normal?

Yes it should be fine Josh. I once purchased a second hand 28mm f2.8 BBAR (series 1) just because the refused to sell me the OM adapter on its own Smile

The lens itself was a dud with jammed apertures, earlier this year I used it as a practice lens to de-click, and in the process I fixed the aperture problem.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 20 Jan 2013 - 2:08 AM
joshwa
20 Jan 2013 - 9:50 AM

Quote: I was looking to find the second hand locus in their website the other day, I thought they had got rid of all the stock they had, now I am sure, lol...

you don't mention the Leica R3 they had though..... is therany e hope?

No, pretty sure it sold while I was there, and I got there when they opened.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2013 - 11:18 AM

AD2's are sought after on eBay and usually go for high prices, there's even an AD1 currently listed at £75, although £30 to £40 is more like the usual price for one of them. The mount system evolved when auto coupling cameras came out with extra auto metering and exposure functions. Mounts fit on either and the fact you're removing all coupling anyway makes no loss for you.

Last Modified By Pete at 20 Jan 2013 - 11:19 AM
Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41197 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2013 - 12:49 PM

Blimey! All my old AD2 mounts cost less than a tenner each (2x OM, 2x Nikon), mind you, that's when Tamrons were becoming unfashionable.

Nick

Paul Morgan
20 Jan 2013 - 6:21 PM

I`ve always loved my Tamron adaptal lenses, and have always wondered if something similar could be developed for lenses of today's digital camera`s.

Good to see that SLR magic have made in roads with changeable mounts for some of its new high quality lenses.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/01/09/the-slr-magic-35mm-t-0-95-hyperprime-le...

Quote: Mounts fit on either and the fact you're removing all coupling anyway makes no loss for you

I`ve got a good half dozen adaptal lenses, but I only have two mounts, its all I need Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 20 Jan 2013 - 6:23 PM
Paul Morgan
20 Jan 2013 - 6:46 PM

How well are these new lenses coping with CA Josh.

I only have one bad lens, my vivitar 200mm f3, its just fine closed down a few stops.

joshwa
20 Jan 2013 - 9:03 PM

I haven't had much time to play with them today, decided to take an IR converted Canon Powershot G5 out for a shoot, I picked it up from the same place for £10!! Grin

Just trying to find the best place to post the photos Smile
edit - here we go: http://www.ephotozine.com/groups/infrared-49/photos/first-go-at-infrared-3167766... - the snow / grey cloud sky probably doesn't help?

Last Modified By joshwa at 20 Jan 2013 - 9:18 PM
Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41197 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2013 - 10:40 PM

Not really subjects or conditions conducive the ir, really. You really need lots of vegetation/leaves/grass to get the full effect, better weather conditions, plus these look like you've used highlight/shadow recovery a lot, which has given odd tones to the snow shadows.
You might find the use of a filter helps, like a deep red 29, or even a R72 or some such, to cut out normal visual light spectrum, leaving you with reduced or just ir ranges. Otherwise, you are recording as much visible light. Focus can become an issue too, as it focuses at a different place to visible light.

I'd have a look online at ir shots by others, to get a feel for getting the best effects, you'll see the trends. That's a great pick up though, a converted camera for that little. I wish I found bargains like that!

Nick

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.