Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Old Photo copying

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    jaydeef
    jaydeef  8 United Kingdom
    30 Nov 2006 - 10:51 PM

I have about 100 old photos I wish to transfer to CD for sharing with my family. I am considering buying a scanner say a Canon 8600f or similar. I am also considering photographing the originals with my Olympus E500 using a fixed macro lens and transfering to Photoshop Elements 4. Would there be much difference in quality of the results. the photos are all B/W or sepia and date from late 1800's to 1950's and in size from 7 by 5 to 3 by 2 inches, quality varies from studio to family snaps.

thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Nov 2006 - 10:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JohnHorne
    JohnHorne  91023 forum posts
    1 Dec 2006 - 9:01 AM

Scanning will be much quicker and easier.

In theory, using camera and macro lens is capable of giving better results, but only if everything is set up perfectly. If not, the results are likely to be worse. In practice it will be a lot more effort, and scanning will give perfectly acceptable results.

If you plan to share the results with family via CD, presumably they will be looking at your copies on a PC ? Resolution need not be very high as there is little point in having an image whose resolution exceeds that of the screen on which it will be viewed.

If you envisage printing them then higher res would be necessary - I would suggest scanning at 300dpi if you want to produce prints the same size as the originals.

John

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.