Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Exciting Updates to Free & Paid Memberships! Read More

Old Photo copying

jaydeef 8 3 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2006 10:51PM
I have about 100 old photos I wish to transfer to CD for sharing with my family. I am considering buying a scanner say a Canon 8600f or similar. I am also considering photographing the originals with my Olympus E500 using a fixed macro lens and transfering to Photoshop Elements 4. Would there be much difference in quality of the results. the photos are all B/W or sepia and date from late 1800's to 1950's and in size from 7 by 5 to 3 by 2 inches, quality varies from studio to family snaps.

thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JohnHorne 10 1.0k
1 Dec 2006 9:01AM
Scanning will be much quicker and easier.

In theory, using camera and macro lens is capable of giving better results, but only if everything is set up perfectly. If not, the results are likely to be worse. In practice it will be a lot more effort, and scanning will give perfectly acceptable results.

If you plan to share the results with family via CD, presumably they will be looking at your copies on a PC ? Resolution need not be very high as there is little point in having an image whose resolution exceeds that of the screen on which it will be viewed.

If you envisage printing them then higher res would be necessary - I would suggest scanning at 300dpi if you want to produce prints the same size as the originals.

John

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.