Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Old photo's

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    terryxc
    terryxc  1 England
    27 Sep 2012 - 12:46 AM

I have a few really old photo's that need cleaning, what's the best thing to use or should i take them to pro's to clean them ?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Sep 2012 - 12:46 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Focus_Man
    Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Sep 2012 - 9:07 AM

In my old darkroom days I attempted to clean up old pics by a refixing followed by a good wash but it never worked

I have never attempted to clean old pics since then, I usually scan them and then use PSE in an attempt to clean them up that way.

keith selmes
    27 Sep 2012 - 9:50 AM

What I have done for myself friends is scan and then repair the image on the PC, this has the advantage that you have a clean digital image to pass on, pass around, print, and archive. You or they can use services like photobox to get photo prints in various sizes, rather than just the original. You can share them with family on services like Flickr or Facebook.

There is some advice about cleaning originals here http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-clean-old-photographs/

However, I would scan first anyway, in case I messed up, and I think I would only try to clean an original, or pay for cleaning, if the original had some special value in itself, and/or it was deteriorating to the point it would cease to exist. For example, an old plate negative where the emulsion is lifting.

macroman
    macroman  1115312 forum posts England
    27 Sep 2012 - 4:44 PM

Did this for a relation, One of my most difficult challenges. Smile

before.jpg
    Before.

after.jpg
    After.

Negative not available and the only known print.
    Came out quite well after a couple of hours or so work in PSP8, Don't have Photoshop. Smile

Last Modified By macroman at 27 Sep 2012 - 4:46 PM
    bigalguitarpicker

You've done a good job there Keith. It's wonderful the state some old pics get in to, isn't it? I renovated a photo once of a lad who had lost his life in an accident and the state of the photo I was given to work on was abysmal. Curled edges, creases, stains where coffee cups had been sat on it. Yes! Used as a f***ing coaster. And that was the best photo they had. Bloke about 40, 3 kids, doting wife and they didn't have a decent photo of him. But that's the way things go. Nobody thought he'd be gone, so, no decent pics.
    I think there's a green cast on the "After" image you've posted which leads me to think it's a scan of a printed image? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Smile Grayscale images are notoriously difficult to print successfully on an inkjet printer. A possible workround is to convert the image to Grayscale (in Photoshop) then convert to Duotone. You'll be given the option of what colours to choose. You keep black as the first colour option, then choose whatever colour you want as the second. Try a Dark grey, or a very dark navy blue. Having done that, go ahead and print and with any luck you'll get a mono print with no colour cast. Hope this helps. Smile
    AlexG.

Kris_Dutson
    27 Sep 2012 - 10:18 PM

Is it me or has the bloke second from right on the bottom row got a head tucked under his arm? Wink

hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3774 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Sep 2012 - 7:59 AM

It could be his new style.......Digital Tattoo....LOL Tongue

Hobbo

Focus_Man
    Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Sep 2012 - 9:32 AM

I wrote a book about my old Alma Mater in 2008 for the school's 300th birthday, naturally there were loads of olf photograhs that I managed to find, I refurbished them all using the method I described earlier, the same as Keith outlines as well. Incidentally, I didn't make any money from the book as I gave it to the schools Old Blues association (A registered charity) wh osold it on the anniversary 'Birthday party' and still sell it with cash going into their funds.

Seems to me to be about the only method available to guarantee results which are, of course dependent upon the skill of the person doing the work. It also leaves you with a digital negative for future use.

I didn't manage to get any spare heads under arms in the old team photographs that I published though!!

macroman
    macroman  1115312 forum posts England
    28 Sep 2012 - 10:32 AM

Alex,
    You are right there is a cast to this version, I uploaded the wrong one.
    The final printed version has a white border and the sky is improved a bit, it was converted to greyscale for pinting made a quite decent A4 print anyway.
    I always save at various stages during the process just incase the PC crashes, damned inconvenient when it happens.
    Most of the work was done with the clone tool, but the sky was removed with the 'smart edge' tool and replced with a light grey layer.
    The nose of the chap 3rd from right front row, was tricky, I copied his nose area, reversed it erased the unwanted parts and then pasted it back in place. Smile.

Quote:
    Is it me or has the bloke second from right on the bottom row got a head tucked under his arm?

Ha, Ha, Yep you are right, as above, wrong version uploaded, must remember to delete all the iinterim copies! or double check before uploading. Grin

Last Modified By macroman at 28 Sep 2012 - 10:33 AM
    terryxc
    terryxc  1 England
    29 Sep 2012 - 6:02 PM

Thanks everyone, Macroman thats a great bit of work, even with the extra head, i'll scan it before i decide what to do, mines not that bad, just dirty marks on it where its been handled with dirty hands that left stains, but no negative to have it reprinted

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.