Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Oloneo

Dave_Canon 8 940 United Kingdom
25 Jun 2011 10:07AM
Has anyone bought Oloneo?

Now that the Oloneo Beta testing has ended, I have to decide whether or not to buy. It does perform well and is easier to use than rival software but I already have Photomatix. Oloneo offer 25% discount to Beta testers so I noted that this would be $110 or 93 Euros. Well $110 is 67 which I decided was OK whereas 93 Euros is about 82 which is getting a bit expensive. Yesterday I went to the Oloneo website to buy and discovered that I am forced to pay in Euros and then I saw the small print which indicated there is also VAT to pay. So 67 now looks like about 100 and I am not so sure that it is worth it. However, I need to make up my mind quickly as the 25% discount only lasts until 15th July. What do others think?

Dave

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
25 Jun 2011 11:08AM
I too have been using the beta version, alongside Photomatix. It has been interesting to see how different the results are between the two systems. I have found myself preferring the finished effects I achieve in Oloneo. However there are certain images where i prefer the results that Photomatix gives. Oloneo is extremely easy and user friendly, and I therefore bought the full version, with the discount.
I have checked my card and was only debited 93 euros.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
25 Jun 2011 11:12AM
A better option perhaps.

As far as working with, This is about as easy as it gets.....Grin
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
25 Jun 2011 11:18AM
It's a shame they couldn't evaluate the beta testers and give a better discount to those who provided major help...even free copy. Adobe did this a few years ago with Photoshop (and that was worth 550!)
I like the program it does some cool stuff and does work well. Easy to use too. You just have to decide whether 100 is worth it for the amount of times you use it. Only you can really decide. 100 to one person is throw away, to another it's a major consideration.
Andy_Cundell 3 1.1k 5 England
25 Jun 2011 11:31AM
I thought Oloneo was a very easy program to use and enjoyed playing with the beta version but I don't do too much HDR to warrant buying it and if I do, I will use the HDR bit of Photoshop CS.

If it's 'your thing' and you enjoy HDR and will use it a lot, go ahead and buy it.

Andy
25 Jun 2011 12:21PM

Quote:I have checked my card and was only debited 93 euros.

That's interesting as I was swayed by the costs too. I just downloaded the free offer of Captureone express6 and have been playing with it. Like it, and will definately be using it, but there are still some things which Oloneo can do that I like better, and quicker, so almost certainly will buy it....
Dorothy
25 Jun 2011 4:27PM
Thanks for the comments so far. I take most landscapes with multiple exposures and process quite a few with HDR software not to get an HDR look but just to handle the dynamic range. I have been impressed with the auto-facility in Oloneo which means I can pre-process a large number of multiple exposures quickly. I did ensure that I was up-to-date before the Beta version expired but I have just returned from holiday with many more to process. If they really only charge 93 euros, I think I will go for it.

To be fair to Photomatix, V4 is much improved for interface but the Ghost removal seems ineffective compared to Oloneo. HDR Efex Pro has good reviews but some reviewers thought that, while a little better than Photomatix, it was not worth the extra cost. However, it has to be a serious rival to Oloneo. I may see if there are some comparative reviews before finally deciding.

Dave
29 Jun 2011 9:19AM

Quote:I too have been using the beta version, alongside Photomatix. It has been interesting to see how different the results are between the two systems. I have found myself preferring the finished effects I achieve in Oloneo. However there are certain images where i prefer the results that Photomatix gives. Oloneo is extremely easy and user friendly, and I therefore bought the full version, with the discount.

When I went through the paying process, VAT was included throughout so the charge was 111.23 Euros. I still went ahead. Although I have only processed one image since downloading this final version, it has crashed twice. The previous Beta version seemed quite stable so I hope they fix some of the bugs quickly. I have two more batches of multi exposures to process and many were taken hand held in low light so the alignment and ghost removal is critica and where I found Oloneo to be much better than Photomatix.

I would be interested in what type of images, you find Photomatix better to save me carrying out a comparison.

Dave
Draig37 7 248 Wales
29 Jun 2011 11:36AM
Dave
I too have been beta testing and like you would like to have given Oloneo a place on my pc - but when working the price out with taxes etc, the UK price was over 100!

As I have Photomatix already, I cannot justify the cost, or the reason, to having yet another tool that is very similar to what I already have.

I've found some landscapes are actually better (to my eyes Smile ) on Photomatix and that some interiors are (possibly slightly) better with Oloneo. As the difference is not great, i think I'll stick with what I've got unless there is a dramatic change in the pricing structure.
29 Jun 2011 12:33PM
Unlike everyone else, I've decided not to buy it.
It's too expensive and the Lightroom plugin in the last Beta didn't add anything useful (to my workflow)

I've been impressed with the Oloneo betas and would have definitely bought it at a more tempting price.
Oloneo is quick and easy to produce photo-realistic HDR images; something I never found satisfactory when I trialled Photomatix and it's much quicker than hand editing layers in Photoshop.
29 Jun 2011 4:27PM
It does seem that most agree that the pricing should have been lower. I reckon about 65 was about right. It is still worth considering for those who have not got Photomatix. They may yet be forced to lower their price. It is quite normal to pitch a high price initially as some will pay the higher price as I did but, once those customers have paid, they can lower the price to catch a few more; certainly this happens with Cameras.

Dave
Draig37 7 248 Wales
29 Jun 2011 4:51PM
MMM Oloneo DSLR - wonder what the specs would be......

oh, I see what yer mean Wink
30 Jun 2011 9:02PM

Quote:Although I have only processed one image since downloading this final version, it has crashed twice.

Like others I also had the taxes added on...Sad haven't bought it yet....and I just downloaded the latest version so better check to see if crashes on me too
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
2 Jul 2011 11:49AM

Quote:I too have been using the beta version, alongside Photomatix. It has been interesting to see how different the results are between the two systems. I have found myself preferring the finished effects I achieve in Oloneo. However there are certain images where i prefer the results that Photomatix gives. Oloneo is extremely easy and user friendly, and I therefore bought the full version, with the discount.

When I went through the paying process, VAT was included throughout so the charge was 111.23 Euros. I still went ahead. Although I have only processed one image since downloading this final version, it has crashed twice. The previous Beta version seemed quite stable so I hope they fix some of the bugs quickly. I have two more batches of multi exposures to process and many were taken hand held in low light so the alignment and ghost removal is critica and where I found Oloneo to be much better than Photomatix.

I would be interested in what type of images, you find Photomatix better to save me carrying out a comparison.

Dave

I think the price thing may be that as a resident of Norway, VAT does not apply to me, hence the flat cost of 93 with no added extras.
I have had no reliability problems since downloading the full version (am running on vista home premium / firefox).

As for the type of image where I preferred P'matix, IMHO landscapes looks better than on Oloneo...can't really say why, just looks better to my eyes.
2 Jul 2011 12:05PM
Malcolm, I think that must right that VAT is an EU thing. If an EU citizen pays VAT in another EU country there is no further tax to pay but you do have to pay it.

I have now used Photomatix on a shot with some movement using the semi-automated ghost removal This allows one to highlight the dodgy areas with movement and it really does seem to help. I plan to compare with Oloneo but had been using Oloneo Ghost removal 1 but, having now read the manual, they recommend using Ghost Removal 2 as default.

I am disappointed that Oloneo frequently crashes now which it did not as a beta version. Although I meet the minimum spec, I suspect shortage of RAM may not be helping.

I did compare Oloneo and Photomatix on some Canadian Mountain scenes and, for an otherwise identical image, Photomatic always has a slight halo in the sky whereas Oloneo did not.

I guess you have some good opportunities for Landscapes in Norway; I was last photographing there 3 years ago.

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.