Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Oloneo v CaptureOne express6

23 Jun 2011 1:48PM
Don't know if anyone else is swithering, but I just downloaded and have been playing with Capture One express. I was on the point of shelling out for Oloneo, with my 'tester' discount (read 'freebie user who got hooked'!) I know it's personal preference (and budget) that will decide, but does anyone out there have any thoughts on which is better?
Ta
Dorothy

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
23 Jun 2011 3:25PM
Which one is better for what ? I use Capture One to process RAW files and Oloneo for HDR. Didn't know Oloneo had RAW processing in it.
23 Jun 2011 3:36PM
I just tried out the RAW processor in Oloneo.
Hmm. I like the equalizer controls......
The tool I use most in C1 is the rotate tool - almost every photo I take is off by the same amount (I think my brain is off by about 3 degrees) and it's so quick in C1.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
23 Jun 2011 3:40PM
Agree with Big Bri, The 2 softwares are completely different, Tried Oloneo but found the interface a nightmare as far as HDR goes, Nik's HDR Efex Pro is much more versatile and user friendly.

Capture One 6 Express is a darned good RAW processing program, Good sensible interface & workflow, We use it a lot, My other half uses it exclusively.....Grin

Maybe the newer version of Oloneo has more control, But its still a HDR sofware rather than a straight processing tool...!!!
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
23 Jun 2011 3:44PM
Olono does do RAW I think - though C1 is my favoured tool for that.

I've tried Oloneo HDR which is pretty cool, but does give that "it's definitely a HDR" look - whereas with careful use of Photomatix, you can get results which look "real" (we had a 1 shot or hdr group that proved this).

I saw Nik HDR EFEX at focus and even on a mac, it was painfully slow.... so slow, so incredibly slow, slower than a slug crawling slowly in a slow race.... but looked quite powerful. who knows, with the right 8 processor machine and 16GIG ram, it may work a treat.

Thing is - does it do batch processing ? I guess you can record an action ?

Photomatix and batch processing is still lovely
23 Jun 2011 3:48PM
Oloneo does have Raw conversion. So I've been using it for that and HDR. I find that Oloneo's HDR tools, used gently, are at least as effective as C1, and a lot faster, but I'm aware that my experience of C1 is limited to 2 evenings so far, as opposed to almost a year with Oloneo. And C1 does have slide show and stuff, but I don't use them, so not an issue for me. So I s'pose that pretty much answers my own question really...unless I'm missing something in C1?
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
23 Jun 2011 3:53PM
capture one is used around the world by many professionals as their first choice RAW editor program - I've not met one that uses Oloneo

now that's maybe because Oloneo is new?

I dunno - but I'd certainly not write C1 off.
HouseMartin 5 193 1 England
23 Jun 2011 5:46PM

Quote:almost every photo I take is off by the same amount (I think my brain is off by about 3 degrees)

Thank gawd! I thought it was just me doing this ! SmileSmile LR2 rotate ... indispensible.
chris.maddock 13 3.4k United Kingdom
23 Jun 2011 6:34PM

Quote:almost every photo I take is off by the same amount (I think my brain is off by about 3 degrees)

Thank gawd! I thought it was just me doing this ! SmileSmile LR2 rotate ... indispensible.

Good heavens, I'm not alone after all WinkWinkWink
23 Jun 2011 6:41PM
Cool. Not just me then. I assume it's not due to me.... swaying... as that would mean half the photos were tilting the other way.
23 Jun 2011 9:28PM
Thanks everyone. I didn't mean that I'm writing off C1, far from it, I agree they are different, and C1 does have a smooth workflow layout, I was trying to decide if I want to pay out for Oloneo too, and I think I do.
Thanks for the comments, they helped... Smile
Dorothy
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
23 Jun 2011 9:29PM
is oloneo not free any more Sad
csurry 12 9.2k 92
23 Jun 2011 9:37PM
Maybe Brian your sensor is not square in the camera and off by 3%. Did you have the same problem with film Smile
23 Jun 2011 10:29PM
Ade - Seems the free version expires in about 2 weeks, don't know what it does if you don't pay up, but if you were registered for their e-mails you get it at 25% off....about the 100.00 mark...but only if you pay before the end of the month Sad
23 Jun 2011 10:59PM

Quote:Maybe Brian your sensor is not square in the camera and off by 3%. Did you have the same problem with film

What's.... "film" ???

Wink

I have the same problem will all my digitals, so it's definitely me Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.