Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Oloneo v CaptureOne express6

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    waineswitch
    23 Jun 2011 - 1:48 PM

Don't know if anyone else is swithering, but I just downloaded and have been playing with Capture One express. I was on the point of shelling out for Oloneo, with my 'tester' discount (read 'freebie user who got hooked'!) I know it's personal preference (and budget) that will decide, but does anyone out there have any thoughts on which is better?
    Ta
    Dorothy

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Jun 2011 - 1:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
    23 Jun 2011 - 3:25 PM

Which one is better for what ? I use Capture One to process RAW files and Oloneo for HDR. Didn't know Oloneo had RAW processing in it.

Last Modified By Big Bri at 23 Jun 2011 - 3:26 PM
    Big Bri
    23 Jun 2011 - 3:36 PM

I just tried out the RAW processor in Oloneo.
    Hmm. I like the equalizer controls......
    The tool I use most in C1 is the rotate tool - almost every photo I take is off by the same amount (I think my brain is off by about 3 degrees) and it's so quick in C1.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jun 2011 - 3:40 PM

Agree with Big Bri, The 2 softwares are completely different, Tried Oloneo but found the interface a nightmare as far as HDR goes, Nik's HDR Efex Pro is much more versatile and user friendly.

Capture One 6 Express is a darned good RAW processing program, Good sensible interface & workflow, We use it a lot, My other half uses it exclusively.....Grin

Maybe the newer version of Oloneo has more control, But its still a HDR sofware rather than a straight processing tool...!!!

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014786 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jun 2011 - 3:44 PM

Olono does do RAW I think - though C1 is my favoured tool for that.

I've tried Oloneo HDR which is pretty cool, but does give that "it's definitely a HDR" look - whereas with careful use of Photomatix, you can get results which look "real" (we had a 1 shot or hdr group that proved this).

I saw Nik HDR EFEX at focus and even on a mac, it was painfully slow.... so slow, so incredibly slow, slower than a slug crawling slowly in a slow race.... but looked quite powerful. who knows, with the right 8 processor machine and 16GIG ram, it may work a treat.

Thing is - does it do batch processing ? I guess you can record an action ?

Photomatix and batch processing is still lovely

waineswitch
    23 Jun 2011 - 3:48 PM

Oloneo does have Raw conversion. So I've been using it for that and HDR. I find that Oloneo's HDR tools, used gently, are at least as effective as C1, and a lot faster, but I'm aware that my experience of C1 is limited to 2 evenings so far, as opposed to almost a year with Oloneo. And C1 does have slide show and stuff, but I don't use them, so not an issue for me. So I s'pose that pretty much answers my own question really...unless I'm missing something in C1?

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014786 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jun 2011 - 3:53 PM

capture one is used around the world by many professionals as their first choice RAW editor program - I've not met one that uses Oloneo

now that's maybe because Oloneo is new?

I dunno - but I'd certainly not write C1 off.

HouseMartin
    23 Jun 2011 - 5:46 PM

Quote: almost every photo I take is off by the same amount (I think my brain is off by about 3 degrees)

Thank gawd! I thought it was just me doing this ! SmileSmile LR2 rotate ... indispensible.

chris.maddock
    23 Jun 2011 - 6:34 PM

Quote: almost every photo I take is off by the same amount (I think my brain is off by about 3 degrees)

Thank gawd! I thought it was just me doing this ! SmileSmile LR2 rotate ... indispensible.

Good heavens, I'm not alone after all WinkWinkWink

Big Bri
    23 Jun 2011 - 6:41 PM

Cool. Not just me then. I assume it's not due to me.... swaying... as that would mean half the photos were tilting the other way.

waineswitch
    23 Jun 2011 - 9:28 PM

Thanks everyone. I didn't mean that I'm writing off C1, far from it, I agree they are different, and C1 does have a smooth workflow layout, I was trying to decide if I want to pay out for Oloneo too, and I think I do.
    Thanks for the comments, they helped... Smile
    Dorothy

ade_mcfade
    23 Jun 2011 - 9:29 PM

is oloneo not free any more Sad

csurry
    csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jun 2011 - 9:37 PM

Maybe Brian your sensor is not square in the camera and off by 3%. Did you have the same problem with film Smile

Last Modified By csurry at 23 Jun 2011 - 9:37 PM
    waineswitch
    23 Jun 2011 - 10:29 PM

Ade - Seems the free version expires in about 2 weeks, don't know what it does if you don't pay up, but if you were registered for their e-mails you get it at 25% off....about the 100.00 mark...but only if you pay before the end of the month Sad

Big Bri
    23 Jun 2011 - 10:59 PM

Quote: Maybe Brian your sensor is not square in the camera and off by 3%. Did you have the same problem with film

What's.... "film" ???

Wink

I have the same problem will all my digitals, so it's definitely me Sad

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.