Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympic Games! A fantastic photographic opportunity

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

pablophotographer

I would like to wish to all lucky photographers (amateurs and professionals) who will attend the Olympic Games all the best to this marvellous photographic opportunity. I took pictures with an old Zenit E of 1971 with the Helios 44 f.2 58mm if I remember correctly and a much longer lens (without support), in Athens 2004 Olympic Games. Thankfully I could place it on the backrest of the front seat, which was empty, but the field of view was too narrow for the pictures I wanted to take so I used the "standard" lens for the majority of the events. Awesome experience. The place had such a vibe, a feel good feeling was flowing o the atmosphere in the city and great weather conditions. I was lucky to be sat at a point that I could shoot, the Olympic flame near the scoreboard and athletes running and doing high jumps. I'm looking forward to see pictures of the event uploaded!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Jul 2012 - 3:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kodachrome
27 Jul 2012 - 8:03 PM

Not sure of the new rules re photography at the Olympics, but for amateurs as I read some where are only allowed cameras with with a limited zoom range. Invited Pros from all the big agencies will be able to use any focul length. They don't want some amateur in the crowd taking a super picture and then flogging it to the media. How sad is that. There will be upwards of 50,000 people in the stadium, try and stop them. I even heard that cameras would be checked before entry.
Perhaps other members can post more accurate facts here for us all to read.

Zenit E was my first camera in the late 60's along with a Zorki 4

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014125 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2012 - 8:05 PM

Quote: Not sure of the new rules re photography at the Olympics, but for amateurs as I read some where are only allowed cameras with with a limited zoom range

Nope, the restriction is on the physical size of the kit - it has to be less than 12 inches.
Mainly due to lack of space in the arenas.

Sabreur
Sabreur  9767 forum posts England
27 Jul 2012 - 9:10 PM

You can post images on social networking sites, but not video or sound. Of course you can't use any pictures, video or sound commercially.

pablophotographer

Believe me it is the sheer joy of being there and taking pictures that makes it awesome experience. I am thinking that the folk who might get away with the rules on lens length would be the ones with bridge cameras or the ultrazooms! The revenge of the "looked-down" amateurs! Go on folks, everyone is a winner!!! May we live long and have the pleasure of seeing many such events.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2012 - 10:28 PM

Can confirm that, I am going and the kit restriction is nothing longer than 30cm and no tripods or monopods....

Graysta
Graysta  91134 forum posts England
27 Jul 2012 - 10:38 PM

Quote: it has to be less than 12 inches.

Might be a few of us that qualify

Last Modified By Graysta at 27 Jul 2012 - 10:40 PM
pablophotographer

I am surprised that nobody has uploaded a picture from the Games yet..

Munro
Munro  638 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Jul 2012 - 10:26 PM

I would be grateful for any feedback from people attending with their kit as I will be attending the mountain biking on the last weekend and was intending to take my 7d & 70-200, which does fit within the 30cms specified.

nonetheless It would be good to hear of others who have attempted to take similar sized kit into an Olympic event.

thanks

Mark

Jestertheclown
29 Jul 2012 - 11:19 PM

Looking at the number of empty seats, I reckon you could take in an entire film/sound crew and not be in anyone's way.

pablophotographer

My father's lens must have been a 200mm, amd I had no problem, all kit was searched. The most important now is to have photographers attending 2012 Olympics. Go on guys bring us the joy from the stadia to EPZ!

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014125 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2012 - 7:32 AM

Quote: I am surprised that nobody has uploaded a picture from the Games yet..

Well I have only got as close as the practice sessions so far.

pablophotographer

Quote: I am surprised that nobody has uploaded a picture from the Games yet..

You are heading for Gold Lobsterboy! Good Luck! Picture should be called Practice makes best

Well I have only got as close as the practice sessions so far.

You are heading for Gold Lobsterboy, Good Luck! The picture could be called "Practice makes best".

pablophotographer

I have just seen another picture from the Olympic Games, I only recall it's name "too late", not it is not yet too late! Come on, photographers, show us this unique sport event! The picture I refer shows Olympians (the name for the athletes competing in Olympic Games) in road cycling. I feel tempted to go an search my printed photos from the Olympics in Athens 2004, shot in film, choose one, shoot it with the digital camera and upload it.

pablophotographer

There's one! Not great but being there was a lifetime's experience, can imagine how an athlete feels participating in such an event, not to mention the lucky ones they have participated in 3 or 4 like the great Ethiopian runner Haile Gebreselassie, whom I applauded during these games, despite not winning,

http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/off-they-go--women-s-800m--olympic-games--athens...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.