Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympics

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139390 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2012 - 12:24 PM

Aren't these things decided by some sort of public vote? If that is so, it is a major factor.

For all their achivements within their sports, until very recently it would have been Bradley Who? and Jessica Who? for the public at large. Whereas I doubt very many have not heard of Andy Murray.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Aug 2012 - 12:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
6 Aug 2012 - 12:28 PM

Quote: In normal circumstances I would have given Bradley Wiggins for winning the Tour De France a good chance but I guess that as Jessica Ennis appears to be more of a "personality" she must now be the firm favourite.

The personally bit has rarely figured much and in general the term sports personality has been deemed a bit of an oxymoron. Bearing in mind his double achievement and the huge popularity of cycling I think Wiggo is a dead cert especially as he has no competition from other cyclists (yes I know the track guys would normally be in with a shout but few cyclists have any doubt about the greatest achievement) and Jessica is up against Mo Farah (especially if he gets the double).

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012523 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2012 - 12:33 PM

Be nice to see some ladies on the list for voting this year.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014720 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2012 - 12:35 PM

It is indeed nice to have such a rich choice to pick from

Some years you really do wonder who's achieved anything at all...

mikehit
mikehit  46147 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2012 - 12:55 PM

Yeah, the cyclists will probably be phoning in their droves for Wiggins, but come 5 months time and people are looking back I am not sure about how well entreched the the TdF is in the general public's mind; whereas Jess Ennis has been the face of the Olympics for the last 4 years. And if Andy wins the US Open (his favourite surface) he has a chance of being world #1 come December and that really will blow the race wide open. Wiggins may well be with Team Sky for team of the year...

It is great to see so many Brits at the top of their sports. Grin

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102255 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2012 - 1:00 PM

Quote: The personally bit has rarely figured much and in general the term sports personality has been deemed a bit of an oxymoron. Bearing in mind his double achievement and the huge popularity of cycling I think Wiggo is a dead cert especially as he has no competition from other cyclists (yes I know the track guys would normally be in with a shout but few cyclists have any doubt about the greatest achievement) and Jessica is up against Mo Farah (especially if he gets the double).

I also think Wiggo should be sports personality of the year but of course Jess is the "poster girl" of the Olympic games - in addition to her tremendous achievement: So I suppose it's possible she could end up with the award.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54203 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2012 - 5:46 PM

A gold in Showjumping. First in 60 years. Fantastic.
SmileSmileSmile

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012523 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2012 - 6:17 PM

.. with Nick Skelton. way to go! Grin

answersonapostcard
6 Aug 2012 - 6:22 PM

and other gold in the cycling Grin

mikehit
mikehit  46147 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2012 - 6:39 PM

Apparently in Beijing at this point we had 25 medals, and this time we have 37. Could we really beat our best-ever Olympics?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139390 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2012 - 7:52 PM

It's the Golds that really count. We got 19 in Beijing.............. and we already have 18 now. Smile

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85856 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
7 Aug 2012 - 6:29 PM

S C H

What a man
What humility

answersonapostcard
7 Aug 2012 - 7:02 PM

and some. Smile

Cant be one sports personality of the year, has to go to the whole of Team GB, including coaches and support staff.

Incredible people.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96215 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
7 Aug 2012 - 7:06 PM

Quote: whole of Team GB,

Except those like Ryan Giggs, men's football, who apparently refused to sing The National Anthem because it is not Welsh

answersonapostcard
7 Aug 2012 - 7:08 PM

hmm, I forgot about the mens football. Scrub that idea then Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.