Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Olympics

strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
7 Aug 2012 7:17PM

Quote:refused to sing The National Anthem because it is not Welsh
Well I have some sympathy we ought to have a real national anthem not an English one adapted. The following verse is not too appropriate

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King.

So in fairness and appreciation of the UK we ought to have a proper national anthem for all the people who live in the UK not the English one imposed. In addition our anthem ought to be about us, and what makes us special, not the royal family .

P.S I have been loving the Olympics. from opening ceremony to the many sports I have watched. Grin

Just not keen on the royal family or the English National anthem Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

collywobles e2
10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
7 Aug 2012 7:30PM
I have never spent so much time in front of the TV but this Olympics has to be the best ever. I think the camera work has been fantastic with some really unusual viewpoints. I have watched sports that I thought I would never be interested in. The competitors of all nations have excelled, and the crowds and support has just been mind blowing. With talk of legacies etc I do hope that our governments (any of them) remember this when it comes to funding school sports fields and swimming pools etc that will be needed to bring on our athletes of the future ........

I dont want this to turn political its just that I really would like to see encouragement and facilites made available to our up and coming young generation.

This Olympics has done UK proud.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
7 Aug 2012 7:40PM

Quote:So in fairness and appreciation of the UK we ought to have a proper national anthem for all the people who live in the UK not the English one imposed. In addition our anthem ought to be about us, and what makes us special, not the royal family .
I agree. Not everyone's a monarchist and I do feel that it's unfair to expect Welsh, Scottish or N.Irish people to sing our national anthem. Someone ought to have written a more inclusive anthem for the games which would have been appropriate for all members of GB.

Still, that aside, I can't believe how amazingly brilliant the games have been. And I hate sport! (except the equestrian). Smile
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
7 Aug 2012 8:04PM
I may be wrong as I have not watched everything but it was only the men's football that had this issue.
Nothing to do with the anthem being English, they wanted to have a Welsh, Scottish team NOT a GB one.
felos e2
3 7 Wales
7 Aug 2012 8:10PM
"God Save The Queen" is the national anthem of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. There is no English national anthem. The only part of that UK with its own anthem is Wales but still , as part of the UK has "God Save the Queen" as its anthem
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
7 Aug 2012 8:15PM

Quote:
Except those like Ryan Giggs, men's football, who apparently refused to sing The National Anthem because it is not Welsh

It would be interesting to note, how many times he did NOT turn out for his beloved Wales
gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
7 Aug 2012 8:23PM

Quote:I agree. Not everyone's a monarchist and I do feel that it's unfair to expect Welsh, Scottish or N.Irish people to sing our national anthem. Someone ought to have written a more inclusive anthem for the games which would have been appropriate for all members of GB.
I agree. Our anthem is rubbish anyway. I think the US has the best anthem - it actually has a good tune and sounds so grand and inspiring - it reflects a nation famous for it's constitution and those noble aspirations - rights of the individual.
It's a pity these rights have proved to become pretty much a sham.TongueSad
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
7 Aug 2012 8:32PM
If you want to hear an anthem, listen to Ray Charles sing and play America the Beautiful. Make sure you have lots of kleenex.Wink Of course you can substitute any country's name.Smile
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
7 Aug 2012 8:36PM

Quote:Just not keen on the royal family or the English National anthem

I think the Royals and wealthy who are participants should be relegated to the shotput, or as the ammunition in a new sport, the catapult.Grin
cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
7 Aug 2012 9:10PM

Quote:I think the Royals and wealthy who are participants should be relegated to the shotput, or as the ammunition in a new sport, the catapult

does that include most of the wealthy athletes who are paid handsomely just to do a bit of running, hop skip and jump and chucking a lump of metal or carbonfibre?
cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
7 Aug 2012 9:28PM
Congrats to Team GB Men's hockey team who (just) made it to the semi-finals..despite some dubious umpiring decisions Smile
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2012 11:13AM
why just WHY does 'someone' feel the need vandalise this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-19177730

I hope they catch them and paint them purple and put them in the stocks in a very public place.
Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2012 12:11PM
You can't do that. It would be violating their rights to free expression!

Despite all the good will flying around at the moment there are still an awful lot of sad people around Sad
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
8 Aug 2012 12:20PM

Quote:does that include most of the wealthy athletes who are paid handsomely just to do a bit of running

wealthy? - I don't think so - very few make a living from athletics
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2012 12:28PM
I like the way that the olympics makes us all armchair experts.

My tactic for the keirin would be to overtake the vicar on his electric bike on lap one and take advantage of him blocking the road. I sort of feel sorry for him, all those starts in his KERS assisted bike but no podiums, poor sod. Grin

Seriously you have to enjoy the olympics, its going to be so boring when it is over. My eldest and I have dug an old "racer" out of the garage, a few cans of spray paint later and its on the road, rusting chrome on wheels and handlebars replaced by mat black , light blue forks, and white frame it looks not bad,

from a distance....

Now all I need are the sideburns to grow and I am in for 2016 Tongue

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.