Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympics

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45761 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 9:53 AM

I was amazed at how well it all went off. I did wonder whether the infrastructure could cope - but they seemed to have got everything right.

This comes from the Sydney Morning Herald:

Quote: "London, you didn't half do a decent job. These Olympics had Sydney's vibrancy, Athens's panache, Beijing's efficiency, and added British know-how and drollery. With apologies to Sydney, they might just represent a new PB [personal best] for the Olympics. They were superbly organised. The Olympic Park's setting, in one of Britain's poorest boroughs, proved inspired. Some Olympic sites become wasteland after the Games. This one began as wasteland and is now full of possibilities."

High praise indeed...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Aug 2012 - 9:53 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
13 Aug 2012 - 9:55 AM

Its not all about the wining of medals though. Yesterday I saw at the mountain biking and was curious as to why there were a bunch of white Americans wearing Team Rwanda cycling gear. Turns out they were there supporting Adrien Niyonshuti a genocide survivor who has been supported by former American pro rider Jonathan “Jock” Boyer.

mb-08.jpg

JJGEE
JJGEE  96098 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 10:00 AM

Quote: the Royal Family seemed to be at almost every event

Do not recall seeing either Prince Andrew or Prince Edward anywhere ?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013936 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 10:06 AM

Quote: Do not recall seeing either Prince Andrew or Prince Edward anywhere ?

Are they still alive ?

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 10:19 AM

I had a great time watching the marathon on Sunday a very mixed crowd all having a good time with very polite and friendly efforts by security, volunteers, police and armed forces. Also the crowd was lots of different nationalities with lots of flags, but it was so friendly and the atmosphere was great. We were next to some Brazilians and Koreans, and it was just like a big street party.

For me the thing I liked was the comment I read (and forgot where) was the fact hat while we all like to criticise this country, we are also capable of great things if we put our minds and efforts into it. A good message for us going into the next part of this recession.

Last Modified By strawman at 13 Aug 2012 - 10:21 AM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013936 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 2:07 PM

There is a slight "after the party" feel to central London today. Piles of barriers await collection from around the marathon course, the Olympic Houses are being dismantled and suites have reclaimed the streets from the colourful crowds.
But there is still a bit of the Olympic glow about, standing by City hall I watched athletes from Uzbekistan, Korea, Australia and Chille stand in front of Tower Bridge and the Olympic rings to have their photos taken.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214383 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 9:05 PM

I thought this was kind of fun Smile

https://vimeo.com/47378906

bricurtis
bricurtis e2 Member 81873 forum postsbricurtis vcard England48 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 9:26 PM

Good link Paul - like that.Smile

On a musical note - re the concert - what muppet put Madness and Pet Shop Boys on a loop so we had to here the same songs 3 times.Sad

NaturesHaven
NaturesHaven e2 Member 2246 forum postsNaturesHaven vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 9:40 PM

I enjoyed the whole fortnight.............great performances by lots of different people not just the brits .........lots of great moments to remember. Lots of peeps will have their favourite moments of the games but for me three moments stand out.

1/ Charlotte Dujardin in the Dressage to music.....and what great music........GrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

2/ Nicola Adams in the womens boxing...........what a smile...lights up the whole nation.........SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

3/ Mo Farah being so so POSITIVE in his interview after winning the 5,000 metres, great athlete...SmileSmileSmile

There were many many other great moments. A great 2 weeks of differing sports (loved the Volleyball, Handball).

Bit of a downer now.......back to rubbish on the box and the doom and gloom merchants in the media.

Come on peeps tell us what your favourite moments of the games were.............

The tight rope walker was a little bit strange...........SadSadSad

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53989 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 10:10 PM

I agree with your three highlights Julia. Wonderful moments.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122047 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 10:18 PM

Kat Copeland's face after winning the lightweight double sculls. Absolutely priceless.

AlexandraSD
AlexandraSD e2 Member 2432 forum postsAlexandraSD vcard United Kingdom
15 Aug 2012 - 9:25 AM

I am having severe 'limpix withdrawal, and cannot wait for the para olympics to begin, i actually know several who are taking part so all the very best to them, good luck!

I still get shivers when i think of the Rutherford, Ennis, Farah golden hour, but seeing the delight on that girl who won the tae kwon do was magical, as too were the female boxers big smile after she won her event, Nicola, a worthy winner if ever there was one, and so humble.

The closing ceremony was every bit as thrilling as the opening ceremony for me, of course, obvious highlights were Madness (despite the bad sound quality) the Spice Girls, so nice to see them all back together, and Fatboy Slim, still rocking the short sleeved shirts he wore on Brighton beach in the 90's Grin

My heart skipped a beat when i heard Wonderwall belting out and i looked in vain for Noel but sadly it was just Liams crappy little Oasis rip off group Beady Eye, still, it was enjoyable but i do wish those boys would put their differences aside and reform, because Liam is NOT Oasis, Liam and Noel are!

Those previous two weeks will stay with me forever, for it was heartwarming to see the entire nation back their sporting representatives in every event, big or small, even the womens boxing which many men don't seem to agree with, what, scared ya might get beat up by a girl? Girls fight too you know, and have aggression, you should see how scary my mum gets when facebook crashes, omg Wink

Roll on the Para-Olympians in two weeks, no doubt the nation will once again rise to their feet, though i am unsure yet if it will be televised, i think c4 usually cover this bit but i could be mistaken, anyway, try and get tickets to see them, i will this time round!

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45761 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2012 - 2:03 PM

How about this link - the public give back to the athletes:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/10-old-boy-sends-medal-distra...

Quote: [10-year old Canadian] Elijah Porter was distraught when Canada's 4x100m relay team were stripped of their bronze medal following the final in London, a decision which was taken when video replay evidence showed that Jared Connaughton stepped out of his lane during the race.

But rather than simply feel sad for his idols, Elijah decided to do something to try and cheer them up: he sent the quartet a medal he had won in a recent football tournament so that they didn't finish their summer empty handed.

Grin
Sort of role reversal - the kid is a role model to the adults.

collywobles
15 Aug 2012 - 4:18 PM

For info -

I heard on a news aerticle that the maximum amount that the lottery will give to any athlete is £26,000 a year. This surprised me as I dont see it as very genorous given the dedication and hard work the athletes put in.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103956 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2012 - 4:28 PM

Quote: For info -

I heard on a news aerticle that the maximum amount that the lottery will give to any athlete is £26,000 a year. This surprised me as I dont see it as very genorous given the dedication and hard work the athletes put in.

not quite...see here UK Sport funding

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.