Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympics

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

bricurtis
bricurtis e2 Member 91895 forum postsbricurtis vcard England48 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2012 - 5:19 PM

Quote: Best bit was lighting the flame. Not even McCartney's tired turn could spoil that. Brilliant cauldron design and a touch of genius in getting young stars of the future to light it rather than an established name.

Agree - the build up and the lighting of the flame was fantastic as was the music - it should have ended there on a high !!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Jul 2012 - 5:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dcash29
dcash29  81898 forum posts England
28 Jul 2012 - 6:40 PM

Quote: Mark Cavendish hit out at 'negative' riding from his rivals

Quote: Nobody wants to help us

Is the guy for real? Maybe someone should have told him that its a competition against other countries.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014073 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2012 - 6:53 PM

But that's not the way cycle racing works, you need to work with other teams to close down any breakaways if your sprinters are to stand a chance.
By not working with the GB team all the teams in the peleton who did not have guys out front were sacrificing there own chances as well as Cavs.

MediumSizeUnavailable

his reaction was a bit disappointing, but then I guess he was quite disappointed and venting frustration.
GB actually got quite a bit of help from SKY team members (from other countries) during the race, which I found far more 'negative'. but it was a bit strange that Cavendish seemed to think that other countries should have helped bring him to the front so that he could win the sprint.
I just hope Cancellara recovers. He has lost so many classics because the entire peloton was riding against him, because he was by far the best rider, but never muttered a word of discontent. Broke his collar bone in the tour the Flanders, and looks like now he broke it again. heartbreaking tv footage after his finish Sad

MediumSizeUnavailable

Quote: By not working with the GB team all the teams in the peleton who did not have guys out front were sacrificing there own chances as well as Cavs.

hmmm... if cav is considered the best sprinter, then helping GB would mean providing the best sprinter with a still fit train in the final stages. Not helping them, would mean his train would have to be sacrificed quite a bit before the sprint to catch up with the leading group, and very much increase the chances of other sprinters. Only problem was that GB never managed to catch up. The others gambled and lost. still wasn't a bad gamble. Besides, there weren't many useable countries available in the peleton. Many 'high profile' countries had riders in the leading group. In the end I think GB made the mistake to assume they could control the race, with only 4 riders (cav not included).

MediumSizeUnavailable

and that Vino-Uran finish... veeeeeery fishy

dcash29
dcash29  81898 forum posts England
28 Jul 2012 - 7:16 PM

Quote: But that's not the way cycle racing works, you need to work with other teams to close down any breakaways if your sprinters are to stand a chance.

Everything works how you want to play it, if not it shows you get beat and should shut up crying about it.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014073 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2012 - 7:16 PM

Quote: The others gambled and lost. still wasn't a bad gamble.

I would have thought that was the definition of a bad gamble Wink

As far as I could see, there were two groups ahead and the GB team figured they could mop them up one at a time, but instead they came together on the downhill to form a massive second peleton with a lot of power.
Of course without race radios we don't know how much they actually knew of what was going on, it was hard enough from home! The BBC coverage was terrible on giving out the time gaps, you could hear Chris Boardmans frustration as they desperately wanted to know what the gaps were!

MediumSizeUnavailable

Quote: I would have thought that was the definition of a bad gamble

not really. if you would have put your money on cavendish to win, it wouldn't have been a bad (unwise) gamble. but gambling isn't science.

MediumSizeUnavailable

a great number of scenarios can play out in a race like this. some of them in your favor. but if you have a team of only 5 (of which you can't use one until the very end), the number of scenarios that go against you increases. The things you can do to control the situation decreases. and one of those scenarios happened. with a team of 8 or 9 it would probably have played out differently. But they didn't have a team of 8 or 9.

lobsterboy
28 Jul 2012 - 7:40 PM

Sure, I'm just surprised that when the threat of the breakaway became obvious that none of the other teams threw someone in to the chase for the chance of a medal rather than no chance of any medal.

MediumSizeUnavailable

I wasn't that surprised. they were hoping that GB would do the dirty work for them. had it worked, then they might well have gotten rid of GB (Cavendish) in the process as well. But to be honest I was glad to see that the scenario of sprinter teams controlling the race didn't work out. just not my favorite kind of race.

MediumSizeUnavailable

btw... have you noticed that nobody else cares about this.
at least you have the 'moderator at work' excuse. But what's mine? Wink

lobsterboy
28 Jul 2012 - 8:43 PM

I'm not sure I care that much either Wink

So I'll leave you to make your own excuse Grin

thewilliam
28 Jul 2012 - 11:31 PM

I've noticed that many posts contain words and phrases that are proscribed by the Olympics Act.

It seems that we're not allowed to use the terms, Oly***ic Ga**es, Lon***n 20*2 or even Su**er unless we're fully paid-up sponsors. The penalties are harsh!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.