Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus 15mm Body Cap Cookie Lens Mod

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    joshwa
    joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3593 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
    20 Nov 2013 - 7:41 PM

666-olympus-15mm-body-cap-lens-3-1363002271.jpg

The Olympus 15mm Body Cap Lens is a fixed f/8 lens, and this gives reasonable photos in good light, as can be seen in our review:
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-15mm-f-8-0-body-cap-lens-review-21536

However, the aperture disc can be removed (if you are careful and don't mind voiding your warranty), and will give a much brighter, almost f/2, lens, although images are much softer (toy-like) afterwards. There are a number of small screws on the back of the lens, and inside there are a number of very small washers, making it quite a fiddly process. (And not recommended unless you are good at taking apart and re-assembling small things). Here are some pictures of the lens afterwards. These were originally posted in the huge E-M5 thread, but I thought it would be good to post here so it's easier to find the information!

1-p7030012--custom-.jpg

1-p7030013--custom-.jpg

1-p7030014--custom-.jpg

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Nov 2013 - 7:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dannyr
    dannyr  4 United Kingdom
    21 Nov 2013 - 12:47 PM

That's fantastic, I never wanted one because it was so slow, but at f2 I might be tempted!
    The thing I never like about the lens was it was too sharp in the first place and not that toy like, so I might even prefer it!

Are there any example photos posted anywhere?

Dan

joshwa
    21 Nov 2013 - 2:05 PM

Hi Dan I'll take some shortly Smile

joshwa
    21 Nov 2013 - 2:55 PM

pb210092--custom-.jpg

Some images here under "Other sample photos"
    http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/item/olympus-15mm-f-8-body-cap-4823/images

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314811 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2013 - 3:56 PM

You can probably get a similar effect by sticking cling film over your lenses Smile

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Nov 2013 - 3:08 AM

Lol! The body cap lens must be about the most pointless lens ever made! Grin

The only thing I do with a camera's body cap is put it away in a cupboard - never to be seen again until I sell the camera..........

dannyr
    dannyr  4 United Kingdom
    22 Nov 2013 - 9:03 AM

Thanks Joshwa, much appreciated.

It doesn't look any softer than the Holga lenses, and a it's a lot thinner. If I ever see one going for cheap, ill give it a shot!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.