Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus 40-150mm f2.8 Pro lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Coast
    Coast Critique Team 61334 forum postsCoast vcard United Kingdom292 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Aug 2014 - 12:12 AM

According to 43 Rumours the lens is confirmed at 160000 yen which is about $1500. Also to be released with a dedicated 1.4x converter with the lens for 180000 yen.

34-image.jpg

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Aug 2014 - 12:12 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  56681 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Aug 2014 - 8:43 AM

I wonder what is 'dedicated' about the teleconverter? I so hope that it will be usable with other lenses.

Coast
    Coast Critique Team 61334 forum postsCoast vcard United Kingdom292 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Aug 2014 - 8:59 AM

Quote: I wonder what is 'dedicated' about the teleconverter? I so hope that it will be usable with other lenses.

Dedicated as in it was designed and built in mind for use with this and no doubt future telephoto lenses from M.Zuiko. Canon do exactly the same with there converters and updating now to mk3 in line with matching to current and future lens range as the lens range develops. They brought out the mk3 to accompany the newer 70-200mm f2.8 L mk2. I think the other term used is "matched" which I always took as it was tuned to give the best performance to that lens but is perfectly workable with other lenses in the range.

They do of course work with older lenses in Canons case and I am sure this will be the case with the Zuiko version.

mikehit
    mikehit  56681 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Aug 2014 - 9:16 AM

I haev held off getting the 35-100 and this lens looks like a fantastic alternative, even if it seems considerably larger and pricier: I would be looking to use it mainly for wildlife so added bulk would not be too much of a negative for me.

Coast
    27 Aug 2014 - 10:02 AM

I think it is only large in relation to MFT lenses. Just as the DSLR telephoto zooms are to the "standard" zooms or small primes. If compared to a DSLR lens of equivalent reach and aperture it will be dinky in comparison. I also believe it will be a fraction of the weight too Smile

Quite excited to see it.

Another American based rumours site is stating it will be available for pre-order soon with delivery before Xmas. Stock for shops may not be available until January.

Make of that what you will.

Although in shooting with primes on my OMD this is a lens I believe I want but may wait for the 300mm f4. That with a 1.4x converter being equivalent to 840mm f5.6 on a FF DSLR!

Carrera_c
    Carrera_c  5256 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Aug 2014 - 3:34 PM

I am really looking forward to this lens. I heard a rumor that either Panasonic or Olympus where working on a 100-300 F4 but that doesn't seem to be true or is nowhere near ready, which is a shame as I'd love that for M43.

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014919 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Aug 2014 - 8:24 AM

Olympus is building a 300mm f4 prime to be released in 2015.

Regards the 40-150mm f2.8; this focal range seems to generate a minimum focus distance of almost 3 feet, a bit too much imo for close-ups of butterflies, etc. With a max focal length of 150mm, I don't think it would be useful for my nature/wildlife photography; a 200mm would fit the bill nicely though. I'm with Coast, I want that 300mm f4.0 so badly I can taste it.Tongue

Last Modified By StrayCat at 30 Aug 2014 - 8:32 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.