Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus E-500 Or Pentax *ist DL Opinions Please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    simon10d
    simon10d  10131 forum posts
    3 May 2006 - 1:09 AM

Just wanting opinions on which camera to go for. I will be buying from Warehouse Express on the 9 month scheme, and cant make up my mind. I don't have and existing lenses e.t.c.
    Thankyou in advance.
    Simon

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 May 2006 - 1:09 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

welshwizard
    3 May 2006 - 2:46 AM

I have just bought a Pentax *ist DL (*ist D sustained a fall and is being repaired) with the 18-55 lens about 3 weeks ago...

Cracking little camera, very light and very easy to use, the menu and function system are so easy to use that the instruction manual is just a waste of paper.

It records RAW or JPEG onto SD cards - I don't know about the Olympus.

The BIG plus for Pentax over the Olympus system is the fact that you can use Pentax AF lenses which are widely available as second hand, the 3/4 system for Olympus is newer so if you want to expand the system, new is the only way to go....

CraigF
    CraigF  8117 forum posts Scotland
    3 May 2006 - 7:09 AM

Have to agree. Been using a friends DL2 recently with 18-55 and 50-200mm pentax lenses that came with the kit and the results are pretty good.
    Theres a few pics in my portfolio shot with the DL2 and the "Gimme a kiss" one was with a 50-200mm @ 200mm fitted with a 1.7x teleconvertor indoors in pretty low light.
    The pic was Jpeg, basically just out the camera.

catalogs
    catalogs  8
    3 May 2006 - 8:06 AM

Bigger only where it matters most, the Pentax *ist DL digital SLR hosts an array of advanced, user-friendly features including an Auto Picture mode for automatic exposure selection.

kenp
    kenp  896 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 May 2006 - 10:45 AM

Hi I'm just a novice as far as Photograpy is concerned,but I have the "istds",,which I find very easy to use and decent results!...My only reservation with the "dl" is that it is actually a downgrade of the ds!,when you compare the features...sorry to put the block on things!...Ken

CraigF
    CraigF  8117 forum posts Scotland
    3 May 2006 - 1:09 PM

Good point that about the DL, the DL2 has seemingly added a load of new features over the DL which begs the question as to why they removed them in the first place.

johnriley1uk
    johnriley1uk e2 Member 1026 forum postsjohnriley1uk vcard United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
    3 May 2006 - 1:21 PM

The backward compatibilty of the *istDL is superb. With the Olympus you need an adapter to use OM lenses and when you do there are all sorts of restrictions as to useable apertures and so on. The Pentax is just totally straightforward by comparison.

The only real loss in the DL and DL2 as opposed to the DS is the use of a Penta mirror viewfinder instead of a solid glass pentaprism, but the difference is very small and many users may not notice anyway. The Pentax viewfinders are amongst the best anyway.

Add to that a larger sensor than the Olympus, so lower noise levels, and it would be the Pentax for me.

John

simon10d
    simon10d  10131 forum posts
    4 May 2006 - 2:33 AM

The build quality of the olympus seems to be much better though. And the four thirds system seems to me like a very sensible idea, especially with the high quality Oly lenses.

kenp
    kenp  896 forum posts United Kingdom
    4 May 2006 - 2:43 PM

And the 3point focus on the dl compared to 11 on the ds!,,the way I'm talking you would think I knew something about camera's!..lol,,,still both good cameras though...Ken

alfpics
    alfpics  12356 forum posts England
    4 May 2006 - 9:55 PM

As you are probably aware, Jessops are doing the DL2 with a free 50-200 lens at present

Andy

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.