Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus e500 viewfinder

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    camay
    camay  7121 forum posts Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Mar 2007 - 1:03 PM

I'm thinking of buying an e510 when they come out in July, but one of the criticisms of the 500 is that the viewfinder is very small and it makes manual focussing difficult. Can anyone tell me if they have had problems? I like the size of the camera and that it has image stabilisation, the Nikon D80 is too large for my hands.
    Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Mar 2007 - 1:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Mar 2007 - 2:22 PM

Quote: I'm thinking of buying an e510 when they come out in July, but one of the criticisms of the 500 is that the viewfinder is very small and it makes manual focussing difficult

Were is this criticsm comming from, Nikon user`s or the large EOS club on here. 4/3 viewfinders are a little smaller than any 3/2 format cameras, they have to be. The difference in reality is very slight. I use both an E-1 and a Cannon 300D, The E-1 is much better than the 300D even though its smaller and circular.

The 510 will be even easier to focus manualy than the older 500, it has live view.

Any chance you can get to try out a 500 for yourself. Talk to people who use both formats to get a realistic responce. The only other person I`ve seen on here using both is Alen Booth so you could PM him and ask his views.

Paul

MeanGreeny
    21 Mar 2007 - 2:42 PM

Go to a local photo store and handle as many of the alternatives as you can [Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Sigma etc etc] and pick a winner.

When July comes around, compare your current winner with the e510 and make the decision yourself - job done.

camay
    camay  7121 forum posts Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Mar 2007 - 3:39 PM

The criticism was in a review on-line, I was browsing using Google, I can't remember who. It was not from ephotozine. I don't have an SLR at the moment, and although I've been able to handle the Olympus e400 (didn't like the feel of it), Nikons(D80 felt too big in my hands) and Canons(liked the D400) in Glasgow I can't find an e500. Buying without handling is a risk, but I like the idea of the image stabiliser.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Mar 2007 - 4:51 PM

Quote: Go to a local photo store and handle as many of the alternatives as you can [Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Sigma etc etc] and pick a winner

Thats always good advice, though E500 are getting hard to find.

Check out the Olympus gallery, E500. Note the user names and check if any live in your area or simply pm, sure most will be more than happy to help.

here

The 510 with IS will be popular when it comes out.

Paul

Cam_D
    Cam_D  959 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 Mar 2007 - 8:44 PM

I had an E500................for about a week.

After all the negative reports about the 350D/400D viewfinder I followed some forum advice (not just on here, I'll add) about how good the Olympus system is and bought one.

The viewfinder is indeed awful. The 400D viewfinder is immensely better (as is picture quality and lack of noise, but that's another story).

I could never live with the 4/3rds viewfinder, it is like looking down a dark, small square tunnel.

I ended up going Canon in the end, bit of a waste of money, but that's life.

The 400D has a better viewfinder, the Nikon D80 and Canon 30D are better again.

Dave

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.