Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus EM5 flash delay ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jul 2012 - 11:45 PM

No idea, Brian. Look forward to seeing more of your excellent bee and other insect macros.......... taken with flash where necessary! Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Jul 2012 - 11:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110243 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jul 2012 - 11:55 PM

Quote: Auto flash delays can alter a fair bit depending on lighting and so on, I think you would be better off setting the flash for fill, less hassle

Paul, how many times before you hear me - I have tried using fill flash (read what I have said) I've tried using all the flash options and the only one that works for my bees in flight work is manual flash.

That works for me and I'm more than happy that others find they get the results they want using fill-flash or whatever suits them.

Strange as it seems, I have been using flash successfully for this style of photography for over 5 years and simply asked others if they saw what I did, ie: that was a difference between manual flash and other flash modes when using the kit flash on the OMD EM-5

The answer is, as has been demonstrated, there is more lag in modes other than manual flash - QED

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315219 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jul 2012 - 12:24 AM

Yes but not as much as half a second as you reported Brian.

Used correctly there is no more delay using the Olympus system than Canon, Nikon or anything else.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jul 2012 - 3:12 AM

I suggest a bee contest. Smile

Paul can try a macro shot of a bee using one of the auto modes of the flash and see If it works.

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
19 Jul 2012 - 9:57 AM

CB, do you ever sleep...... I mean you're on epZ at 3.12 in the morning????

Carabosse
19 Jul 2012 - 11:13 AM

Quote: CB, do you ever sleep...... I mean you're on epZ at 3.12 in the morning????

Sleep is over-rated. I make some of my most important decision in life in the early hours of the morning. Smile

.................................... probably accounts for a lot! Sad

Lol! Wink

mikehit
mikehit  56329 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jul 2012 - 11:28 AM

Me too.
The problem is that I can't remember what they were when I wake up. All I know is that it was a very good idea. Sad

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110243 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jul 2012 - 3:29 PM

I thought it may be helpful to collate the measured test results thrown up during this discussion (who knows, it may even help someone in future Smile

Josh's results, using manual pre-focus:

Quote: I've set the camera to manual focus, so all I'm measuring is shutter lag, from pressing the button to the picture being taken. I half press the shutter button, as that's how I always tend to take photos.

Flash off: 0.1 second or less to take the photo.
Auto flash: 0.2 seconds to take the photo.
Red-eye flash: 0.9-1.0 seconds to take the photo. (due to multiple pre-flashes)
Fill-In flash: 0.2 seconds to take the photo.
Manual flash (Full): 0.1 second or less to take the photo.

This was shooting in P, shutter speed 1/60 to 1/100, f/3.5, 14-42 MK I kit lens, Firmware 1.1 (body and lens)

These results are repeatable and consistent.

Imaging Resource results

Full Autofocus,
Center AF mode
Auto Flash Enabled
12-50mm kit lens
Time from fully pressing shutter button to image capture, with the lens already at the proper focal distance setting, Auto flash enabled.
shutter lag = 0.438 second

Prefocused
Auto Flash Enabled
Time to capture, after half-pressing and holding shutter button, Auto flash enabled
shutter lag = 0.190 second

Last Modified By brian1208 at 19 Jul 2012 - 3:29 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315219 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jul 2012 - 3:35 PM

Quote: Sleep is over-rated. I make some of my most important decision in life in the early hours of the morning

Yep this I believe, like taking a pee Smile

Paul Morgan
19 Jul 2012 - 4:54 PM

Quote: I thought it may be helpful to collate the measured test results thrown up during this discussion (who knows, it may even help someone in future

A lot of fuss over nothing Brian, just run a few test using the G2, the pre flash is so brief I found it impossible to time.

At the end of the day its down to user error, you can`t fault the lighting system, for macro your better off using a dedicated unit fit for purpose or switching to full manual.

In certain flash modes using the on board flash depending on light sometimes there is a pre flash sometimes there isn`t.

Also tested using one of my FL50R`s, again depending on settings and lighting, sometime you get a pre flash sometimes you don`t.

To guarantee no preflash set the flash to auto, not ttl and it fires every time without using pre-flash.

These onboard flash units are pretty basic and more difficult to control, preflash is more likely to happen in good light, not bad.

User_Removed
19 Jul 2012 - 5:24 PM

Quote: preflash is more likely to happen in good light, not bad.

Your ignorance is astounding. Do you understand what a pre-flash is for?

Paul Morgan
19 Jul 2012 - 5:29 PM

Go away Smile

Of course I do

User_Removed
19 Jul 2012 - 8:08 PM

I'm baffled then. Why is it (pre-flash) more likely to happen in good light not bad?

Paul Morgan
19 Jul 2012 - 8:37 PM

Because its trying to balance the light available along with the flash, move back inside I found no pre flash, just a single burst.

Strange but that`s what I found, looks like the reason for Brian missing his bee shots.

First time I`ve tried auto ttl in years Smile

User_Removed
19 Jul 2012 - 9:01 PM

When you say 'move back inside', just to be clear, are you talking about it being darker inside at this point?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.