Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus EM5 flash delay ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315377 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jul 2012 - 9:04 PM

That`s right darker

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Jul 2012 - 9:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139450 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jul 2012 - 2:42 AM

Well I was pleased with this bee pic. Smile

bee.jpg

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110279 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jul 2012 - 7:10 AM

Huzzah for CBeeee! Grin

User_Removed
20 Jul 2012 - 11:39 AM

So Paul you say that in bad (darker) conditions the camera doesn't fire a pre-flash but in bright conditions it does. That's ridiculous. In darker conditions its safe to say that the main flash is more likely to be fired.

In order to bounce some light around the room and calculate how much power to use for the main flash the camera needs to fire a pre-flash. That's what the pre-flash is for.

You're claiming that it's more likely to have pre-flash lag outside in the bright light causing a delay for Brian and his bees and are you inferring that Brian should shoot bees indoors because there's no pre-flash indoors.

Paul, you're not making sense. Explain to me why the camera would only fire a pre-flash in certain conditions and what the pre-flash would be for?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315377 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jul 2012 - 1:58 PM

Quote: Paul, you're not making sense. Explain to me why the camera would only fire a pre-flash in certain conditions and what the pre-flash would be for?

I made myself perfectly clear, what I found.

In good light with auto ttl enable, a pre flash fired, back in doors in the shade using the same settings, no pre flash fired.

What this tells me, in good light the camera is trying to calculate correct exposer combining flash with ambient, back in doors, it just fired the flash balancing just that.

Not rocket science is it,

Paul Morgan
20 Jul 2012 - 2:28 PM

Quote: You're claiming that it's more likely to have pre-flash lag outside in the bright light causing a delay for Brian and his bees and are you inferring that Brian should shoot bees indoors because there's no pre-flash indoors

No I`m inferring Brian should use a flash or settings fit for purpose.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 20 Jul 2012 - 2:33 PM
User_Removed
20 Jul 2012 - 2:51 PM

Quote: back in doors, it just fired the flash balancing just that.

How would it calculate how much power to put into the flash without firing a pre-flash first? It needs to fire a pre-flash in order to determine which surfaces act like reflectors and bounce light back into the subject area, which ones absorb the light (like black walls) and which reflect some and let some through (like glass). That's why what you said does not add up Paul.

Paul Morgan
20 Jul 2012 - 3:00 PM

I have no idea.

Could be a throw back from the old om system, OTF ttl.

Paul Morgan
3 Aug 2012 - 12:01 AM

Just been playing with the flash with the EM5, how come I`m getting no pre flash.

This is what I was expecting and there is definitely no pre-flash or flash delay.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.