Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Olympus EM5 flash delay ?

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
19 Jul 2012 9:04PM
That`s right darker

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
20 Jul 2012 2:42AM
Well I was pleased with this bee pic. Smile

bee.jpg

brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2012 7:10AM
Huzzah for CBeeee! Grin
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2012 11:39AM
So Paul you say that in bad (darker) conditions the camera doesn't fire a pre-flash but in bright conditions it does. That's ridiculous. In darker conditions its safe to say that the main flash is more likely to be fired.

In order to bounce some light around the room and calculate how much power to use for the main flash the camera needs to fire a pre-flash. That's what the pre-flash is for.

You're claiming that it's more likely to have pre-flash lag outside in the bright light causing a delay for Brian and his bees and are you inferring that Brian should shoot bees indoors because there's no pre-flash indoors.

Paul, you're not making sense. Explain to me why the camera would only fire a pre-flash in certain conditions and what the pre-flash would be for?
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
20 Jul 2012 1:58PM

Quote:Paul, you're not making sense. Explain to me why the camera would only fire a pre-flash in certain conditions and what the pre-flash would be for?

I made myself perfectly clear, what I found.

In good light with auto ttl enable, a pre flash fired, back in doors in the shade using the same settings, no pre flash fired.

What this tells me, in good light the camera is trying to calculate correct exposer combining flash with ambient, back in doors, it just fired the flash balancing just that.

Not rocket science is it,
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
20 Jul 2012 2:28PM

Quote:You're claiming that it's more likely to have pre-flash lag outside in the bright light causing a delay for Brian and his bees and are you inferring that Brian should shoot bees indoors because there's no pre-flash indoors

No I`m inferring Brian should use a flash or settings fit for purpose.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2012 2:51PM

Quote:back in doors, it just fired the flash balancing just that.

How would it calculate how much power to put into the flash without firing a pre-flash first? It needs to fire a pre-flash in order to determine which surfaces act like reflectors and bounce light back into the subject area, which ones absorb the light (like black walls) and which reflect some and let some through (like glass). That's why what you said does not add up Paul.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
20 Jul 2012 3:00PM
I have no idea.

Could be a throw back from the old om system, OTF ttl.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
3 Aug 2012 12:01AM
Just been playing with the flash with the EM5, how come I`m getting no pre flash.

This is what I was expecting and there is definitely no pre-flash or flash delay.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.