Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus lens on G3?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    andart
    andart  12478 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Jan 2013 - 10:38 AM

I am thinking of getting a secondhand G3 and would like to know if the Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 would work on it? (I like it compactenss).
    Also what is the difference between Panasonics 14-42 and 14-45 (apart from 3mm and 70 on the s/h market!). Are either of these significantly better than the Olympus?

Thanks in advance,
    Andy

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Jan 2013 - 10:38 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken
    franken e2 Member 112913 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jan 2013 - 11:45 AM

Panasonic lenses have built in anti shake. Olympus doesn't as the anti shake is built into the camera and not the lens.

The Olympus lens will work on the G3.

Ken

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    andart
    12 Jan 2013 - 11:50 AM

Thanks Ken, I did not know about the differences in IS - probably accounts for the difference in overall lens size.

kodachrome
    12 Jan 2013 - 12:32 PM

I'll stick my neck out here and say that the Panasonic 14-45 is/was the best of the standard kit zoom lenses, although its discontinued. What Digital Camera magazine gave it a gold star and a score of 93 for exceptional optical performance, the later 14-42 and compact 14-42 which are good lenses, but they never quite matched it. Read the review.
    These lenses are not as compact as the one you are quoting, but in comparison with a DSLR kit zoom, they are pretty small.
    Ken is right re the anti shake systems, however, if you do end up with a Panny 14-45, it would be the best combination in my view. If you use an Olympus lens on the Panny G3 you will have no IS and thus run the risk of hand shake at low shutter speeds. I use a Oly 9-18 on my G3 and its fine, but I keep the shutter speeds high enough so hand shake is not an issue.
    SRS Microsystems have a couple of used Panny 14-45 for sale.
    Hope this helps

Pete.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    andart
    12 Jan 2013 - 4:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback Pete - the Panny 14-45 gets a much better review that the Oly - decision made!

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jan 2013 - 6:49 PM

Have a look at LCE, they have a G3 + kit lens going for 250 and more.

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondhand-Search/?SHMake=Panasonic&SHModel=&S...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 12 Jan 2013 - 6:50 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    andart
    12 Jan 2013 - 7:03 PM

Thanks for the heads-up Paul - their prices seem to be very good compared to others Ive looked at.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jan 2013 - 7:31 PM

If you can stretch a little further there`s a GH2 for 350.

andart
    13 Jan 2013 - 10:06 AM

Quote: If you can stretch a little further

unfortunately HMRC have just 'stretched' me................................ Sad

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.