Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110167 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2013 - 6:57 PM

that it is (especially around Orchard Street in the evening Wink )

I love the juxtaposition you have shown here - not a good advert for the product Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Nov 2013 - 6:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

camay
camay  7116 forum posts Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2013 - 7:04 PM

All taken in Singapore Botanic Gardens on a Saturday morning.

pose.jpg

cameras-in-action.jpg

swordplay.jpg

A group practising stylised sword movements.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2013 - 7:29 PM

This thread is tempting me to spend yet more money! Sad

Will it ever end? (Answer: probably not!)

Any views on whether the sensor had been improved?

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110167 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2013 - 7:35 PM

to my eyes, yes. There seems to be a wider DR and greater tolerance / facility for processing the .orf files

Noise seems lower too so I'm now quite happy to go to ISO1600 for my action shots (to keep the shutter speed up) whereas I stick to ISO800 with the EM-5

The combined CDAF / PDAF sensor works a treat with my longer lenses in CAF mode and I am definitely getting much better success with it than I ever did with the EM-5 when shooting BIF and action (not something of importance to you though if I remember rightly CB?)

The handling is a real revelation too, whatever you do, don't try one or your wallet will be prised open faster than you can say "Its Mine!" Grin

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2013 - 2:16 AM

Thanks Brian. Yes, the focusing is not really an issue (for me) on the E-M5 - but any improvement is welcome. Might even take up BIF work! Grin

I wouldn't buy the camera just for the better AF, which is why I wondered if the sensor has been improved. It seems it has and that, with improved handling, could be a clincher.

I wonder what special deals Olympus are offering? If the E-M5 is anything to go by, we could grow rather old waiting for the basic price to drop. Lol! Wink

Last Modified By Carabosse at 10 Nov 2013 - 2:21 AM
mikehit
mikehit  46165 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
15 Nov 2013 - 8:36 AM

I have seen some reports of wose noise performance than the E-M5 - have you noticed this, Brian?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Nov 2013 - 2:15 PM

Quote: I have seen some reports of wose noise performance than the E-M5 - have you noticed this, Brian?

Lol you make the EM5 sound bad, I`ve never seen any bad noise from my EM5 Smile

brian1208
15 Nov 2013 - 2:20 PM

Quote: I have seen some reports of wose noise performance than the E-M5 - have you noticed this, Brian?

I had read that Mike (somewhere in the bowels of DPreview from memory) but my experience is exactly the opposite, so much so that I'm now using ISO1600 as my normal top ISO for action shooting when (as now) the light intensity is dropping. I'm needing very little post-process noise reduction and am delighted with the results

(have a look at some of these shots from a couple of days ago http://www.flickr.com/photos/75445098@N04/sets/72157637673325863/ )

forgot to say, when I am getting noise (very low light, high ISO and long exposure I get the subjective feeling that is a bit more like film grain than digital noise)

Last Modified By brian1208 at 15 Nov 2013 - 2:22 PM
Paul_Anthony
16 Nov 2013 - 8:20 AM

Only got 'hands on' with the EM1 earlier in the week. I was expecting it to be larger than it was, not that much different to my EM5. I think I would definitely need the grip if I was to purchase one as I did for the EM5. Must admit though, it did feel great in the hand and felt well balanced with my Panasonic lenses attached..

Question is, do I sell the Nikon now and go for it? .... Possibly, I will need to have a better test with one first, take some low light images and test out that viewfinder in bright, backlit conditions etc.

Paul

brian1208
16 Nov 2013 - 4:42 PM

I spent an hour or so on our local quayside this morning shooting gulls and starlings using the EM-1 + 75-300 with some pretty consistent, good results using both CAF and SAF.

"Grab-shooting" was giving me around 50% sharp results and using a more considered approach, staking out a location such as Starlings on a roof / rigging or gulls fighting for food this went up to around 70%

Rather than dumping a load of images here I have posted a representative sample of them on my flikr site
here

brian1208
3 Dec 2013 - 7:08 PM

I've sold my mk1 version of the 75-300 and got the mk2, mainly because the old one was used when I got it and although I could get excellent images from it in good light I felt there was more possible under less ideal conditions

The new lens is mechanically a lot better, no zoom creep even with the hood attached and a lovely smooth zoom and manual focus action

After fairly extensive testing on my replacement EM-1 (now with firmware v1.1 loaded) under pretty dreadful light (cold grey and misty most of the time) I am happy that the new lens / body combo are performing as I want.

I'm getting consistently sharp results even when both the light and contrast between subject and background are low, something I struggled with using the old lens.

I can't wait to get some decent light to really push it but here are a few shots from today, taken on Avon Beach at lunch time with the typical grey, dreary lighting that is becoming the norm at the moment (none are "Good" shots but they show the detail I am seeing)

1-fishing-baot---gulls-on-a-dreary-day.jpg

brent-geese-on-a-dreary-day.jpg

pied-wagtail-on-a-dreary-beach.jpg

and a first for me, a juvenile Cormorant showing its white breast feathers, shot from the beach café through the double glazed windows

white-chested-cormorant-1.jpg

Carabosse
4 Dec 2013 - 1:13 PM

Excellent pics, especially given the light. Smile

brian1208
9 Dec 2013 - 7:00 AM

A good example of the resolving power of the 75-300 mk2 on the EM-1 on a cold still day with minimal haze or thermal diffraction.

The shot is across the estuary of Mudeford Harbour, a distance of between half and one mile (nearer the mile I would estimate without looking at the map)

The first is full frame width and the second a 100% crop

75-300-mk2-resolving-power.jpg

75-300-mk2-resolving-powe-100--crop-.jpg

brian1208
9 Dec 2013 - 4:54 PM

Another demo of the sharpness and resolution of the 75-300 mk2 on EM-1, a shot of this evenings moon, hand-held with ISO 400 and 1/400th sec, spot metered Aperture priority

75-300-mk2-moon-hand-held.jpg

Last Modified By brian1208 at 9 Dec 2013 - 4:55 PM
mikehit
mikehit  46165 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
9 Dec 2013 - 4:57 PM

Quote: A good example of the resolving power of the 75-300 mk2 on the EM-1 on a cold still day with minimal haze or thermal diffraction.

The shot is across the estuary of Mudeford Harbour, a distance of between half and one mile (nearer the mile I would estimate without looking at the map)

The first is full frame width and the second a 100% crop

Didn't you do a shot like that with the E-M5? I've had a quick look but that thread is so damned long now....

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.