Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139430 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2014 - 1:14 AM

Sounds good Brian. Pity it's such a pricey bit of kit... but there again it is described as a 'Pro' lens, so presumably comparable to Canon's 'L' efforts.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Jan 2014 - 1:14 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110266 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2014 - 1:19 AM

looking at some of the images after minimal PP they are better than those I was getting with my 24-105 LIS on the 5Dmk2 (only a sample of one for each case of course, so no conclusions can be drawn, but I'm convinced its a stellar performer in the studio at least )

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110266 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2014 - 1:33 AM

Just for fun, a couple of grabs from the 600+ shots

first a crop of Hannah singing

studio-hannah-singing-crop.jpg

then a frame from a silly few moments at the end when they let their hair down and went for a bust up

studio---bust-up-in-the-band.jpg

It was one of the most fun sessions I've shot and the girls basically took over with a little direction from me

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315346 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2014 - 4:17 AM

Quote: Sounds good Brian. Pity it's such a pricey bit of kit... but there again it is described as a 'Pro' lens, so presumably comparable to Canon's 'L' efforts.

You could always pick up a 14-54(both versions) or 12-60mm, there pro grade lenses as well, but you will need an adapter Smile

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
7 Jan 2014 - 9:03 AM

Definitely a "must have" lens Brian,....(makes the wait for the 40-150 even more frustrating Tongue)

Nice images from your session last night......be interesting to know the lighting set-up used for the group shot.

brian1208
7 Jan 2014 - 10:03 AM

Thanks Roger, I'm just ploughing though all 600+ images putting together Hannah's portfolio so she can have it before she returns to uni on Saturday (she's the singer and is in her 2nd year of a degree relating to performance and art, so is a natural for this type of shoot)

The other lass is a professional entertainer and spends a lot of time working with schools and stage groups and is wonderfully uninhibited in the studio, she helped bring three people who had never worked together in front of the camera into a cohesive group and we all had a ball shooting this sessionSmile

The lighting was based on a stage lighting suggestion I saw recently, two high level gridded flash heads with barn doors, aimed down at the singers from each side and two low level square soft boxes (about a foot off the floor), aiming slightly upward and inward from the edges of the studio

We used a large U shaped curtain to provide the "stage" backdrop and the black vinyl drop screen for the floor

The more I look at this series the more convinced I am that this lens is well worth the money

Last Modified By brian1208 at 7 Jan 2014 - 10:05 AM
brian1208
7 Jan 2014 - 10:09 AM

Here are a few more from the session

(as you can see, a fair bit of clowning about went on Grin

hannah--1-17.jpg

hannah--1-11.jpg

hannah--1-27.jpg

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
7 Jan 2014 - 10:25 AM

Thanks for the info Brian........and more great images Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139430 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2014 - 4:32 PM

Very unsure as to whether to move over to the E-M1. I've read comparisons, e.g. here and here. A harder decision than ditching my Canon full-frame equipment and going over to M4/3!

Any thoughts appreciated. Smile

brian1208
7 Jan 2014 - 5:00 PM

My thoughts CB, for what they are worth, having got both cameras:

- unless you need the larger / brighter EVF + the ability to shoot up to 1/8000th sec + the ability to use 4/3rds lens with adequate CAF (and much improved CAF with m4/3rds lenses) stick with the EM-5

There is little if any improvement in IQ (although the "ISO100" does help in some situations) and I reckon around +1 stop on noise (ISO1600 on my EM-1 + ISO800 on my EM-5)

Ergonomics are improved but I don't remember you ever complaining about the EM-5?

Spend the money on the pro lenses that are here / coming would be my suggestion for your style of shooting

Graham_Rainham

The quality of the images from this kit is impressive. The separation of the blacks from the background and the rendering of the highlights shows an excellent range.

Your lighting is very good as well. I really like to see the fun elements from shoots as well as the "Selected" shots.

Nicely done.

Paul_Anthony
7 Jan 2014 - 7:07 PM

Quite a few pros are moving to CSC's ... here

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315346 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2014 - 7:15 PM

None are well known though Smile

Paul_Anthony
7 Jan 2014 - 7:18 PM

How many professionals are well known? There are thousands of pro togs in the Uk I have never heard of... Smile

edit: and I doubt they have ever heard of me either... Smile

Last Modified By Paul_Anthony at 7 Jan 2014 - 7:18 PM
Paul Morgan
7 Jan 2014 - 7:23 PM

Very true Smile

I`ve read of a fair few wedding photographers shooting with the EM5 or Fuji x100/x100s.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.