Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139503 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2014 - 7:37 PM

Quote: My thoughts CB, for what they are worth, having got both cameras:

- unless you need the larger / brighter EVF + the ability to shoot up to 1/8000th sec + the ability to use 4/3rds lens with adequate CAF (and much improved CAF with m4/3rds lenses) stick with the EM-5

There is little if any improvement in IQ (although the "ISO100" does help in some situations) and I reckon around +1 stop on noise (ISO1600 on my EM-1 + ISO800 on my EM-5)

Ergonomics are improved but I don't remember you ever complaining about the EM-5?

Spend the money on the pro lenses that are here / coming would be my suggestion for your style of shooting

Many thanks, Brian. I think I'll stick with the E-M5 for now. Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Jan 2014 - 7:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315487 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2014 - 9:58 PM

The EP5 has a lot of the same features as the EM1, I believe it has a better spec than the EM5 Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 7 Jan 2014 - 9:59 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139503 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2014 - 1:44 AM

I think the Pen line will be killed off, once a budget OM-D is launched.

Paul_Anthony
8 Jan 2014 - 11:20 AM

The EM1 + Grip arrived this morning. First impressions are good, feels so much nicer in hand than the EM5 (not that that was uncomfortable with the grip fitted mind you)... Nicely balanced with the Pany 12-35 and Pany 35-100 on the front too... Smile

Paul_Anthony
19 Jan 2014 - 7:04 PM

A couple taken today.

EM1 + Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8
anticipation-02.jpg

EM1 + Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8
red-03.jpg

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110310 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2014 - 5:11 PM

The macro season has started for me and its the first chance I've had to really give the EM-1 + 60mm macro a work out and all I can say is - what a revelation, it really is better than the EM-5.

I'm using it with my Metz ring-flash, connected via the PC sync socket which gives me 1/400th sec flash sync in manual mode (up from 1/60th when connected via the normal routes)

Using my AF to quick focus (smallest central focus point) then half-press and rock for precise focus, the EVF even without magnification is a superb tool for getting precise focus. If the subject is passive / static then 5X mag (I've reassigned the DOF check button to activate this) adds to the ease of getting a precise lock on the area wanted)

A few examples

Detail of the compound eye of a female common gnat (between 1/8" to 1/4" long for scale)

female-common-gnat-compound-eye-crop.jpg

A male common gnat showing the feathery antenna

gnat-male-side-view-100-.jpg

A Daddy Longlegs spider with gnats in its rudimentary web

1-daddy-long-legs-spider-with-two-gnats.jpg

A bubble blowing fly (large crop)

1-fly-bubble-100--crop-2.jpg

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315487 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2014 - 9:19 PM

Talking about macro I picked up an Olympus OM tube today, number 14 I think, a bargain for 1 Smile

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110310 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2014 - 9:44 PM

Quote: Talking about macro I picked up an Olympus OM tube today, number 14 I think, a bargain for 1 Smile

unless the lens that came with it cost 500 Grin

(it's always fun to use old kit isn't it Paul, I'm getting a nice collection but mine all tend to be long FL telephotos )

Paul Morgan
14 Mar 2014 - 10:08 PM

Quote: Talking about macro I picked up an Olympus OM tube today, number 14 I think, a bargain for 1 Smile

unless the lens that came with it cost 500 Grin

(it's always fun to use old kit isn't it Paul, I'm getting a nice collection but mine all tend to be long FL telephotos )

I only have one that I still use, and that is a 135mm f2.5, most are a little to big for M4/3.

I`ve gradually replaced most of my legacy primes, with cost effective digital counter parts.

I still have a couple of old 50mm legacy lenses that are handy for macro.

I badly wanted a 25mm tube, so removed the inners of an old x2 tele-converter and it worked a treat Smile

brian1208
1 Apr 2014 - 10:08 AM

I uploaded v1.3 firmware yesterday and seem to have found an unannounced benefit with my focus speed and accuracy. It is particularly noticeable when close focusing with the macro, being quicker in acquiring focus and locking on to the subject when near to MFD but I'm also seeing it with my 75-300 mk2 at all focal distances up to 300mm

Settings: EVF only, fast refresh rate, single point smallest focus box, Av mode with centre weighted exposure metering, SAF & 6fps sequential

(my macro technique requires that I use AF for first rapid focus lock then with the button half-pressed to maintain lock, rocking my body to bring the precise focus on the eye or other point of interest)

I may be delusional and seeing a placebo effect Smile (although one other user has also seen this with their 12-50 and 75-300)

It seems as if the focus algorithm has been changed (different sampling rate) with a slight, very short, hesitation just before it locks focus. There is less hunting going on too

I'd be interested to hear what others see but I'm a happy if puzzled photographer as I wasn't expecting or looking for any improvement here (another bit of Olympus "hidden magic" maybe? Smile )

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 9509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
2 Apr 2014 - 9:09 AM

That all sounds very encouraging Brian...(although you chose a bad date to post it Wink !).......haven't done the update yet, so can't comment.

brian1208
2 Apr 2014 - 9:47 AM

I've followed up a comment from elsewhere that another user didn't see any effect with their 12-40 f2.8 and done a quick test with my panny 35-100 f2.8 (another top of the class focusing lens). I can't see any change in focus performance with that (but it was a useful comparison with the 75-300 which now seems almost a fast and accurate as the 35-100)

I'll get around to trying it with my other lenses when the chance arises but I'm getting the feeling that whatever it is I think I'm seeing is only visible with the slower focusing lenses I own (not that I'm complaining Smile )

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this when you get around to updating Roger

Last Modified By brian1208 at 2 Apr 2014 - 9:48 AM
brian1208
23 Apr 2014 - 5:24 PM

I have been looking for a radio flash trigger to use with my EM-1 and fl600 and after much reading went for the Phottix stratos 2 (for canon)

I had my first chance to give it a bit of a workout today and I am pleased to say it does everything I want. With the camera set to Manual exposure and the flash set to A or M modes I was able to get to 1/400th sec flash sync (any higher and I started to see the shutter shadow appearing in the top of frame)

It works fine with the flash hidden out of line of sight (behind a brick wall or firing from behind me) so, so far its looking good

Once the weather improves I can park it up at the end of the garden some 30+ ft away and use it to light the birds on the feeders in our tree, firing it from the camera set up in the conservatory

It seems very well constructed for the money (99)

Paul Morgan
23 Apr 2014 - 8:24 PM

It seems very well constructed for the money (99)

At that price it should be, but why spend so much.

A cheap set of Chinese triggers would have been enough, and if you wanted more range then something like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aputure-Trigmaster-Trigger-Shutter-SP-570UZ/dp/B008OP1AB...

brian1208
23 Apr 2014 - 9:42 PM

Quote: It seems very well constructed for the money (99)

At that price it should be, but why spend so much.

A cheap set of Chinese triggers would have been enough, and if you wanted more range then something like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aputure-Trigmaster-Trigger-Shutter-SP-570UZ/dp/B008OP1ABQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1398280944&sr=1-5&keywords=Aputure+Trigmaster+Plus+olympus

Thanks Paul, I spent a lot of time looking for recommendations for one suitable for the EM-1 and none of the Chinese triggers were recommended, likewise with the Trigmaster, people who had tried it reckoned it wasn't suitable for the EM-1.

There is always something different / cheaper / better but I got what I got and can only comment on that Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.