Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3593 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
27 Apr 2012 - 7:41 PM

I think you'll be impressed Smile

Added a low-light portrait ISO3200:
http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/item/olympus-om-d-e-m5-3968/images

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Apr 2012 - 7:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110147 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2012 - 8:25 PM

Josh is the hot shoe compatible with 3rd party studio flash triggers (like my infra-red Prolinca?)
I'm getting very interested in this (even to the extent of wondering about "Downsizing" my canon set-ups for the OMD to save weight) but am nervous about losing some of the functionality that I take for granted with the 5Dmk2 + 60D

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2012 - 8:36 PM

I was using the Strobeam wireless remote trigger last night. I don't know whether it was a flaw in the trigger shoe or the shoe on the Olympus but they didn't connect and fire when fully inserted. I had to slide it back a fraction, but then it worked fine. It's a standard hot shoe so should work with all triggers of that kind. It doesn't have a flash sync socket so you'd need a PC adaptor to use cable based flash.

joshwa
27 Apr 2012 - 9:30 PM

Here's a video recorded at ISO3200, using the 12-50mm Power Zoom lens.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110147 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2012 - 10:46 PM

thanks Pete, it looked like the centre pin was a standard fit but its good to have it confirmed. I'm going to watch the reports on this new camera with interest

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014397 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2012 - 11:25 PM

Not too bad Josh.Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
28 Apr 2012 - 12:59 AM

Quote: I think you'll be impressed

Even more so by what looks like usable ISO 12800 from a 4/3 sensor! Smile

This device is bit mould-breaking methinks.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2012 - 9:05 AM

Well it has............................. arrived! Grin Smile

8.45am (BST) - am I the first on EPZ to actually get one (other than the team's test models, of course)?

Just have to send off for my free grip, worth about £230, now.

joshwa
30 Apr 2012 - 9:21 AM

Yay! That was early! (In the morning) Which colour did you go for and what are your "First impressions" ?? Smile

Carabosse
30 Apr 2012 - 9:30 AM

I went for black and my first impressions were of a struggle to get WEX's packaging off! Tongue Grin

I would love to get out and about, with the OM-D, on what is probably going to be the only decent day this week - weather wise.... but I have to wait in for window-fitters. Sad

Never mind - it looks nice and, ergonomically speaking, seems to be a bit better than the Pen but, as ever, will take a bit of getting used to before it becomes intuitive.

Carabosse
30 Apr 2012 - 1:57 PM

Proper first impressions: it feels remarkably like the Pen except for the little hump on top! The EVF is very good indeed and I will most certainly not be yearning for an OVF.

Even though the device is small, the weighting feels right and actually better than the Pen.

Taken a few shots indoors but, once the good artisans currently fitting a new window in my home have left, I canít wait to take the OM-D out out for a proper test drive! Smile

One thing I should mention: you may notice a the 'cooling fan' sound - the like of which I have never heard on a stills camera before! Even though I had read about it, it still came as a bit of a surprise. It is not actually a cooling fan, but is something to do with the fancy 5-axis IS system... and the noise continues even when IS is switched off. I have to say I only noticed it because I was in a very quiet room. The slightest bit of background noise will drown it out. However, it is just possible it could be picked up on the built-in stereo mics on a video if you are in a similarly quiet situation. So you might want to consider getting the (pricey!) SEMA-1 adaptor so you can use a separate mic for any serious recording. Separate mic is always a good practice, of course, except for casual videoing.

Here is a pic of my new baby. It is a neat package with the 14-42mm Mk II lens.

om-d.jpg

joshwa
30 Apr 2012 - 2:12 PM

The noise is from the IS system - the sensor floats in magnetic field even when IS is off. It's most noticeable when the lens is taken off the camera.

Carabosse
30 Apr 2012 - 2:45 PM

And I have to qualify what I have said about the noise. When switched to video mode the noise almost disappears: it doesn't quite go, but I'm reasonably confident it would not be picked up by the built-in mics unless you were in an acoustically dead room!

Quote: It's most noticeable when the lens is taken off the camera

Which many would say, you shouldn't really be doing with the camera switched on anyway............. but I expect that is a whole new argumentative thread! Lol! Wink

joshwa
30 Apr 2012 - 3:52 PM

Our full review is now live:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-om-d-e-m5-full-review-19079

Carabosse
30 Apr 2012 - 4:07 PM

Oh no, I can't bear to look - you're going to say I shouldn't have bought it! SadTongueWinkGrin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.