Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2012 - 4:16 PM

Just read the review. Phew and..................... wow! Grin

5 stars for Performance, Handling and Features. And "even ISO16000 and above producing usable results". From a 4/3 sensor that is pretty staggering and would put many DSLRs, including older model full-framers, to shame. I am starting to see why the likes of Mr McGillicuddy enthuse over this device.

Many thanks Josh - I won't have to send it back now. Lol! Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Apr 2012 - 4:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3307 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2012 - 4:51 PM

Just discovered that DPR review is now out..they have some reservations but give it a "Gold" award!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2012 - 5:08 PM

Yes indeed. Pretty much neck-and-neck with the Sony NEX-7 with its APS-C sensor on the overall rating: I think they are the only two CSCs which have achieved DPR 'Gold'. DPR's negatives seem very minor.

Not that fussed what DPR says anyway, TBH - their reviews get heavily slagged off in their own forums. Lol! Grin

With a much better range of lenses and better handling, I think it's fair to say the OM-D currently has no true equal. Smile

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110366 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2012 - 5:55 PM

I downloaded the DPR RAW images out of interest and put them through LR4.1RC2. I was impressed by the way in which the ISO6400 file cleaned up and printed at 10"x8".
Still watching developments with interest CB, so keep us informed about your findings please Smile

Carabosse
30 Apr 2012 - 6:19 PM

Gosh Brian - you're way ahead of me............ already printing out stuff. Lol! Grin

Unfortunately work intervened to ruin pleasure today but, if the weather holds, I should be able to get out and about with the device tomorrow.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110366 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2012 - 7:15 PM

I did my time so am entitled to play now I'm retired (mind you, I did set up a new exhibition this morning and had a play whilst I was taking a break from getting ready for the Downton Cuckoo Fair on Saturday - must try this "Retirement = doing nothing" idea one day Grin )

Carabosse
30 Apr 2012 - 7:20 PM

Quote: "Retirement = doing nothing"

I understand it is not actually conducive to longevity............ so try it at your own risk! Wink

I am freelance these days and only do as much as I feel like doing, so pretty much equivalent of retired. Grin

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2012 - 8:08 PM

I hate you, CB..... Tongue

Carabosse
30 Apr 2012 - 8:17 PM

Lol! Tongue

Starting to really like my OM-D already.... not just because it has an EVF, unlike the Pen. Handling and general feel, although similar, is different enough to be quite noticeable.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315616 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2012 - 8:42 PM

Enjoy CB Smile

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318456 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2012 - 8:44 PM

Quote: Starting to really like my OM-D already.... not just because it has an EVF, unlike the Pen. Handling and general feel, although similar, is different enough to be quite noticeable

Good isn't it. Both Josh and I are hooked!

Carabosse
30 Apr 2012 - 8:47 PM

Quote: Enjoy CB

Thanks Paul - I've just sent off for my free grip. Wink

Quote: Good isn't it. Both Josh and I are hooked!

Well it does seem to have excellent performance for a 4/3 sensor.......... actually for pretty much any sensor. Wink

Carabosse
1 May 2012 - 12:43 AM

On another site it has been suggested that as this small , but not exactly silent, device has the unwieldy name "Olympus OM-D EM-5" , it should be given a nickname:

......................... Hummingbird ! Grin

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014919 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 5:36 AM

Mine was shipped from the US today; depends on how long it takes in Customs. Hopefully by the end of the week. Black with the 14-42mm II R.

kodachrome
1 May 2012 - 8:20 AM

Its the combined weight of a DSLR & and a zoom lens [D5000 & Nikkor 16-85 in my case] that makes up the weight. It is very heavy when compared to my Panny G3 and kit zoom.

The one thing I like about a heavy DSLR plus lens is when you press the shutter button, all things tend to stay still and steady and you get sharper pictures because of no camera movement. I find pressing the shutter button without some camera movement on the G3 much harder to achieve as there is much less inertia due to its light weight.

This brings me on to the Oly OM-D EM-5, I think a good proportion of the price is simply because of its retro styling, Style over substance was mentioned by Josh, well, its got both but to me its a tad too small, to light, too expensive and only slightly better [in certain areas] than the Panny GH2. [ GH3 and G5 out later which could leap frog the O-MD-E-M5]!

I think CSC's can be too small and light weight at times so that is why I am very impressed with the new Samsung NX20 due out soon, sensible size and weight, sensible price and top performance with no legacy to fall back on for price hikes.

Kodachrome

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.