Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

Quote: This brings me on to the Oly OM-D EM-5, I think a good proportion of the price is simply because of its retro styling

Er, I think not. It has features, such 5-axis IS, which are not to be found in any other camera of any type. The price will come down - and indeed there are ways and means of getting it down by about 200 if you act quickly. Wink

Quote: Hopefully by the end of the week. Black with the 14-42mm II R.

I will be interested to see how long you keep this, Denny, before moving onto something else! Lol!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014406 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 6:36 PM

Mine arrived this morning at 0945 hours, in a huge box. I am so impressed with Adorama's service, it's been years since I ordered anything from them, I don't know why. The shipping charge was only $36.00 by UPS and they rushed it through customs, the only charge being Canadian sales tax, 5%. They give a choice of buying an MMF-2, MMF-3, or a 300R flash at the same time as ordering the camera, and getting a 100% rebate for whichever you choose. I didn't go for it. I also have a Panasonic 100-300mm lens on order which I hope to get this week.

I think this camera is going to hold its value rather well, it's top quality from what I've seen so far, I have the battery charging, and I'll be giving it a try shortly. Poring rain here for the next day or two, so it'll be inside shots.

CB, apart from the low res LCD screen, and no viewfinder on the PL1 I had, I liked the camera. Don't forget that was my second foray into the Olympus world, I also had an E510. Things are looking up finally in the M4/3 world, with the OM-D, third party lenses, and a major shake-up at Olympus, it doesn't feel like such an isolated world. I'm confident the 100-300mm lens with a 35mm equivalent of 200-600, and all of the features available on the camera will finally give me what I've been looking for in a camera kit all along. I'm waiting to see what the new Oly 60mm f2.8 Macro is priced at, because I want a macro lens, and I would like to have the weather resistant 60mm, however, I have a backup in mind if they put too high a price on it for me, the Leica/Lumix 45mm f2.8 macro. That should comlete my kit for this year, but who knows.Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 6:49 PM

Excellent Denny. Smile I've already been using mine quite a bit. In the UK we are fortunate enough to get a free grip (worth about 230): I will not necessarily be keeping it, though.

I too will be looking at some primes to complete the kit but I've decided not to rush it; that's a failing with me (yes, yes OK, one of many! Grin) I tend to buy accessories, including extra lenses, before getting used to the main kit. And then find I hardly use them. Not making that error this time.................... famous last words! Wink

StrayCat
1 May 2012 - 7:07 PM

Kodachrome, I did pretty intensive research comparing the GH2 to the OM-D, and I came fairly close to going with Panasonic. However, the more I read about both cameras, considering that there was not a lot of hands on user info available on the OM-D, the more convinced I became that the difference in price is not that great; just look on Ebay; and the 2 biggest complaints with Panasonic keep cropping up; the body construction is cheap and feels very flimsy; which I couldn't handle, and the jpegs are of very dubious quality, whereas both of these are major strengths of the OM-D. So, looking at a price difference of about only 2 to 3 hundred dollars, I think it's a no-brainer.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 1 May 2012 - 7:10 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314810 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 7:24 PM

Quote: I've already been using mine quite a bit. In the UK we are fortunate enough to get a free grip (worth about 230): I will not necessarily be keeping it, though

I can see you keeping it CB, adds a nice little bulk to the body amongst other things, handy for larger lenses Smile

I use a G2 and at the time picked this over a pen for its built in EVF since I use lensbabys. the bodies not flimsy but it is more plasticy, I would have preferred the pen with the seperate EVF but since I picked this as a gift paid for by somebody else I did not want to take the p*ss Smile

Looking at both the Pens and the Panasonic`s, each had advantages over the other, some had built in EVF`s and better video, others had inboby IS and wireless flash, I thought there was not a lot in it image wise.

The EM5 changes things now, if you have the cash the EM5 is clearly the winner with no match.

Carabosse
1 May 2012 - 7:28 PM

My 40-150mm is the largest lens I use, Paul, and it's as light as a feather! But I know you like to use large aperture older tele lenses on your M4/3 and certainly a grip would be of much more use to you than to me. What a pity my (not yet received) grip won't fit your camera. Wink

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3593 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
1 May 2012 - 9:09 PM

I may use the first part of the grip. I really liked it, made it feel like a proper SLR, with a proper hand grip to hold onto. (without adding too much bulk)

Last Modified By joshwa at 1 May 2012 - 9:09 PM
Carabosse
1 May 2012 - 9:10 PM

If I wanted a proper SLR, I would have kept the one I had. Lol! Wink

StrayCat
1 May 2012 - 10:07 PM

Now, now, CB!Wink

StrayCat
2 May 2012 - 5:27 AM

First impressions: Just pick one up, it oozes quality; you know you are holding a piece of exceptional workmanship. Turn it on, and it sounds like an f18 at idle off in the distance. That's as far as I am at the mo, reading the manual and the menus.Smile

Carabosse
2 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

Lol @ Denny! Grin

It's not that bad - about the sound of a laptop cooling fan, maybe even not as loud as that. Slightly bizarre on a stills camera though; I've heard similar on camcorders but those really are cooling fans.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

Can anyone comment on whether fitting the hand-grip blocks the battery compartment in the camera body? (looking at the images I've seen it appears as if it may do)

Carabosse
2 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

Quote: Can anyone comment on whether fitting the hand-grip blocks the battery compartment in the camera body? (looking at the images I've seen it appears as if it may do)

Yes, but part of the grip is a battery pack. Smile

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

I knew that CB (even I can read the descriptions Tongue ) but I had seen comments that it worked well just using the hand-grip without the added battery pack and that made me wonder.
A bit of a ****-up in the design department maybe, I wouldn't want to have to remove the hand-grip every time I wanted to change the battery.

(Found another ISO6400 RAW image by the way, I'm still impressed how well they clean up and print in LR4 . Did you spot the CS5 is now compatible with the ORF files?)

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

When I tested the camera out in Focus, I found the electronic viewfinder is rather rubbish (refresh rate).
What do you think, CB?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.