Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
1 May 2012 10:06AM

Quote:This brings me on to the Oly OM-D EM-5, I think a good proportion of the price is simply because of its retro styling

Er, I think not. It has features, such 5-axis IS, which are not to be found in any other camera of any type. The price will come down - and indeed there are ways and means of getting it down by about 200 if you act quickly. Wink

Quote:Hopefully by the end of the week. Black with the 14-42mm II R.

I will be interested to see how long you keep this, Denny, before moving onto something else! Lol!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
1 May 2012 6:36PM
Mine arrived this morning at 0945 hours, in a huge box. I am so impressed with Adorama's service, it's been years since I ordered anything from them, I don't know why. The shipping charge was only $36.00 by UPS and they rushed it through customs, the only charge being Canadian sales tax, 5%. They give a choice of buying an MMF-2, MMF-3, or a 300R flash at the same time as ordering the camera, and getting a 100% rebate for whichever you choose. I didn't go for it. I also have a Panasonic 100-300mm lens on order which I hope to get this week.

I think this camera is going to hold its value rather well, it's top quality from what I've seen so far, I have the battery charging, and I'll be giving it a try shortly. Poring rain here for the next day or two, so it'll be inside shots.

CB, apart from the low res LCD screen, and no viewfinder on the PL1 I had, I liked the camera. Don't forget that was my second foray into the Olympus world, I also had an E510. Things are looking up finally in the M4/3 world, with the OM-D, third party lenses, and a major shake-up at Olympus, it doesn't feel like such an isolated world. I'm confident the 100-300mm lens with a 35mm equivalent of 200-600, and all of the features available on the camera will finally give me what I've been looking for in a camera kit all along. I'm waiting to see what the new Oly 60mm f2.8 Macro is priced at, because I want a macro lens, and I would like to have the weather resistant 60mm, however, I have a backup in mind if they put too high a price on it for me, the Leica/Lumix 45mm f2.8 macro. That should comlete my kit for this year, but who knows.Wink
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
1 May 2012 6:49PM
Excellent Denny. Smile I've already been using mine quite a bit. In the UK we are fortunate enough to get a free grip (worth about 230): I will not necessarily be keeping it, though.

I too will be looking at some primes to complete the kit but I've decided not to rush it; that's a failing with me (yes, yes OK, one of many! Grin) I tend to buy accessories, including extra lenses, before getting used to the main kit. And then find I hardly use them. Not making that error this time.................... famous last words! Wink
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
1 May 2012 7:07PM
Kodachrome, I did pretty intensive research comparing the GH2 to the OM-D, and I came fairly close to going with Panasonic. However, the more I read about both cameras, considering that there was not a lot of hands on user info available on the OM-D, the more convinced I became that the difference in price is not that great; just look on Ebay; and the 2 biggest complaints with Panasonic keep cropping up; the body construction is cheap and feels very flimsy; which I couldn't handle, and the jpegs are of very dubious quality, whereas both of these are major strengths of the OM-D. So, looking at a price difference of about only 2 to 3 hundred dollars, I think it's a no-brainer.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
1 May 2012 7:24PM

Quote:I've already been using mine quite a bit. In the UK we are fortunate enough to get a free grip (worth about 230): I will not necessarily be keeping it, though

I can see you keeping it CB, adds a nice little bulk to the body amongst other things, handy for larger lenses Smile

I use a G2 and at the time picked this over a pen for its built in EVF since I use lensbabys. the bodies not flimsy but it is more plasticy, I would have preferred the pen with the seperate EVF but since I picked this as a gift paid for by somebody else I did not want to take the p*ss Smile

Looking at both the Pens and the Panasonic`s, each had advantages over the other, some had built in EVF`s and better video, others had inboby IS and wireless flash, I thought there was not a lot in it image wise.

The EM5 changes things now, if you have the cash the EM5 is clearly the winner with no match.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
1 May 2012 7:28PM
My 40-150mm is the largest lens I use, Paul, and it's as light as a feather! But I know you like to use large aperture older tele lenses on your M4/3 and certainly a grip would be of much more use to you than to me. What a pity my (not yet received) grip won't fit your camera. Wink
joshwa e2
4 710 United Kingdom
1 May 2012 9:09PM
I may use the first part of the grip. I really liked it, made it feel like a proper SLR, with a proper hand grip to hold onto. (without adding too much bulk)
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
1 May 2012 9:10PM
If I wanted a proper SLR, I would have kept the one I had. Lol! Wink
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
1 May 2012 10:07PM
Now, now, CB!Wink
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
2 May 2012 5:27AM
First impressions: Just pick one up, it oozes quality; you know you are holding a piece of exceptional workmanship. Turn it on, and it sounds like an f18 at idle off in the distance. That's as far as I am at the mo, reading the manual and the menus.Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
2 May 2012 11:03AM
Lol @ Denny! Grin

It's not that bad - about the sound of a laptop cooling fan, maybe even not as loud as that. Slightly bizarre on a stills camera though; I've heard similar on camcorders but those really are cooling fans.
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
2 May 2012 11:05AM
Can anyone comment on whether fitting the hand-grip blocks the battery compartment in the camera body? (looking at the images I've seen it appears as if it may do)
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
2 May 2012 11:09AM

Quote:Can anyone comment on whether fitting the hand-grip blocks the battery compartment in the camera body? (looking at the images I've seen it appears as if it may do)

Yes, but part of the grip is a battery pack. Smile
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
2 May 2012 12:05PM
I knew that CB (even I can read the descriptions Tongue ) but I had seen comments that it worked well just using the hand-grip without the added battery pack and that made me wonder.
A bit of a ****-up in the design department maybe, I wouldn't want to have to remove the hand-grip every time I wanted to change the battery.

(Found another ISO6400 RAW image by the way, I'm still impressed how well they clean up and print in LR4 . Did you spot the CS5 is now compatible with the ORF files?)
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
2 May 2012 12:08PM
When I tested the camera out in Focus, I found the electronic viewfinder is rather rubbish (refresh rate).
What do you think, CB?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.